Opinion on Sheraton in SJ

ruskatab

A couple other hotels for your consideration in Old San Juan:

El Convento - This is a great hotel that is truly something different. Very nice base for exploring Old San Juan and has a nice feel for the area. It is built in a 300 year old former Convent and has very nice open courtyards. We stayed there last February for two nights pre-cruise and had a great time. Don't miss the happy hour out on the balcony where they have a nice wine and cheese spread every evening. While the hotel is highly rated it has a price to match - there is a pre-cruise special on their web site for a two night minimum but you have to phone and ask for the rate - it isn't (or wasn't) available in the online reservations.

Hotel Milano - this is rated nicely and we've heard some nice comments from others that have stayed there - it is considerably less expensive. We're going to try this for one night pre-cruise on our next cruise out of San Juan.

I agree with the OP - staying in Old San Juan makes a lot more sense than staying at a beach resort as you'll see lots of beaches on most cruises but not many places like Old San Juan. And you won't have the same time exploring the old areas if you have to take a cab back and forth to a more distant hotel. I don't remember the exact price of a taxi to the Pan Am Pier but I think it was around $20, maybe less, including charges for luggage.

Here is a nice visual Map of San Juan which shows the pier and hotel locations:

http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

Larry - Thanks for the info and the map, too! I have seen that map before and couldn't find it again...bookmarked it this time!:)

A couple other hotels for your consideration in Old San Juan:

El Convento - This is a great hotel that is truly something different. Very nice base for exploring Old San Juan and has a nice feel for the area. It is built in a 300 year old former Convent and has very nice open courtyards. We stayed there last February for two nights pre-cruise and had a great time. Don't miss the happy hour out on the balcony where they have a nice wine and cheese spread every evening. While the hotel is highly rated it has a price to match - there is a pre-cruise special on their web site for a two night minimum but you have to phone and ask for the rate - it isn't (or wasn't) available in the online reservations.

Thanks for the heads up on the El Convento deal! We are dying to stay there!! What else can you tell me about it?? Recommend a good restaurant in the area??

Thanks for the heads up on the El Convento deal! We are dying to stay there!! What else can you tell me about it?? Recommend a good restaurant in the area??

el convento is in the historic district...many many good restaurants there, i like Raices , Panza, Sofia....the list is a big one

We ate one night at the tapas bar in El Convento - both food and atmosphere was very nice. In a large open courtyard, and do try the sangria.

• 1 month later...
I just booked the Sheraton OSJ for November, 2008 - sick, I know! - but I wanted to be assured of securing a room. We wanted to be in the Old San Juan area this time - our last stay was at the Marriott Stellaris - a beautiful hotel to be sure - but too far away from the action IMHO. If the ship docks in the regular port (not PanAm) will a taxi be needed and how will the driver feel about going such a short distance? We will probably have more luggage than will be comfortable to "drag". Thanks!

You're not the only one. I just booked a pre-cruise room at the Sheraton for my November cruise too. I wanted to make sure I got it. I'm thinking we (my sister and I) can just wheel our bags across the street to the ship. If we need help, I'm sure there will be a porter to assist us. We're doing the rainforest tour before we sail so we'll leave our bags at the hotel until we get back because I don't think we'll be able to board before the tour leaves.

Archived