Ryanair Luggage Issue

Has anyone flown Ryanair as part of their cruise vacation? How did you solve the luggage issue - they only allow 33 lbs total of baggage to be checked in? Kind of tough to limit yourself to 33 lbs for a 2+ week vacation!

We are arriving in Dublin from San Francisco, then flying onto Rome. For the transcontinental flight, I'm thinking about putting some stuff in a backpack, and putting the backpack in my luggage. Then before the Ryanair flight, taking the backpack out and carrying it on. Anyone try this?

Has anyone flown Ryanair as part of their cruise vacation? How did you solve the luggage issue - they only allow 33 lbs total of baggage to be checked in? Kind of tough to limit yourself to 33 lbs for a 2+ week vacation!

We are arriving in Dublin from San Francisco, then flying onto Rome. For the transcontinental flight, I'm thinking about putting some stuff in a backpack, and putting the backpack in my luggage. Then before the Ryanair flight, taking the backpack out and carrying it on. Anyone try this?

Are your flts all on one ticket from SFO to Dublin then change to Ryanair to Rome or are you on one ticket from SFO then a separate ticket to Rome re Ryanair?If all on one ticket whatever airline you are flying on from SFO to Dublin then on to Rome the US luggage limit should hold and your luggage should be chacked through to Rome.If on 2 different tickets you will have to pay the charge for over limit or pack light or send luggage ahead.I would call your airline to find out to be sure.I have flown Ryanair as part of a trip re flying from the US to Frasnce and then home from Dublin via LHR and had no problem re luggage as was flying from US on one ticket.

No, we don't use Ryanair at all. Their luggage policies make them the worst of the budget airlines in the UK. Easyjet are better (20 kgs limit) but have also started charging for checked luggage. The argument from both of them is that putting luggage in the hold is an extra operation - why shouldn't those passengers who require it, pay extra for it?

As far as other budget airlines are concerned we prefer to use bmiBaby; others include Jet2.com and FlyBe, but I have no experience of them. But none of these are any use to you.

Have you looked at Aer Lingus flights? They'll cost more than easyJet, but the overall experience might be a lot more pleasant.

Why didn't you fly Aer Lingus all the way to Rome???? Plane change/Immigration in Dublin and onward you go. Very small, very easy airport. And on the return (if you are flying both ways)-immigration to the US is done in DUBLIN-NOT JFK, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. etc. where the lines are long and the wait is FOREVER. You would have US baggage allowance (2 bags/50 pounds each per person) for the entire trip.

FORGET RyanAir for an onward flight. I doubt you can get down to 33 pounds and your back pack can only weigh something like 20 pounds. RyanAir is fine for a quickie weekend trip on the Continent, not fine for a cruise. The excess charges are astronomical.

A lot depends on just how much checked luggage per person you really have. If over 40 pounds per person, you will have to fly BA business class-which COULD cost you more than your USA/Dublin flight.

You now have a couple of options-go back to AerLingus and see if you can't book the flight all the way through to Rome. Will probably cost you the change fee at least-may cost you more.

Ship your luggage via the Post Office-Express to Europe is about $190.00 per 50 pounds, Priority is about $130.00 and if you ship 30-40 days prior, you can ship surface (ship) for about $85.00 (all estimates-final cost depending on origination). And you will have to have a hotel or someplace to ship the luggage to in Rome.

We use both Ryan Air and Easy Jet when we are traveling in Europe. You just learn to pack light, switching some of your items to a backpack and carrying that on is a great idea. We spent a month in Europe in September and my bag weighed 26 pounds so it can be done.

Are your flts all on one ticket from SFO to Dublin then change to Ryanair to Rome or are you on one ticket from SFO then a separate ticket to Rome re Ryanair?If all on one ticket whatever airline you are flying on from SFO to Dublin then on to Rome the US luggage limit should hold and your luggage should be chacked through to Rome.If on 2 different tickets you will have to pay the charge for over limit or pack light or send luggage ahead.I would call your airline to find out to be sure.I have flown Ryanair as part of a trip re flying from the US to Frasnce and then home from Dublin via LHR and had no problem re luggage as was flying from US on one ticket.

RyanAir has NO agreements with anyone-not even to get pax to their destination when they cancel flights. So anytime you see a RyanAir flight, it is booked as a separate ticket. Rarely as a package with a travel agent/consolidator. Sounds like you were on a "package" tour where the luggage was weighed "en bulk" and someone made special arrangement for USA pax.

RyanAir has NO agreements with anyone-not even to get pax to their destination when they cancel flights. So anytime you see a RyanAir flight, it is booked as a separate ticket. Rarely as a package with a travel agent/consolidator. Sounds like you were on a "package" tour where the luggage was weighed "en bulk" and someone made special arrangement for USA pax.

No..I bought out tickets here in the US to fly to Paris en route to Bordeaux then a cruise to Dublin then Ryanair to LHR then back to IAD.I booked through a TA is the only thing and this was how it worked out.It was a few years ago.I remember asking about the luggage and they said not to worry and I strictly remember letting out a big sigh of relief. They did take my very best small cuticle scissors back then.At this point maybe it was another small airline...my brain is creaky.I did learn on that flight though about 4Heads that Boots sells and it was one of the best products for headaches I have ever used.Just had to add that.

Ryanair are a dreadful outfit. They are regularly taken to court in relation to disabled passengers, and their service is appalling. My family flew to Puglia in July - we flew Alitalia, albeit with a change in Rome, and the rest flew Ryanair. They had no toilet on a two hour flight, no food, no luggage allowance worthy of the name and were squeezed in, and couldn't sit together as there is no allocated seating.

We had as comfortable a flight as one can have in economy, a light meal, pleasant service, nice plane and allocated seating. And a lot more luggage, together with a fairly laissez faire attitude to limits.

And we paid less than them!

Matthew

Avoid Ryanair like the plague if you want to carry luggage. I was charged a fortune for excess baggage, as were my friends, on a flight back from Milan in August. There is no bag share. My daughter's bag was under, and my bag over,but they did not accept the aggregate weight. My friends were sent to the baggage shop to buy another bag for 80 Euros, and then told they couldn't take that on either. By the way, I wasn't much over and it cost me £40 with taxes and commission. Use BMI Baby, Easyjet(best luggage), Jet2 or Flybe rather thn Ryanair.

As everyone has said, Ryanair is terrible about luggage. They charge a fortune for every extra kilo. We are allowed 15 kilos and 10 Kilos hand luggage, as long as it fits withing their size restrictions. So watch out if you do the back pack thing - first it has to be within their dimention rules and they will also weigh it!

I hate flying Ryanair, but must as it is the only airline doing the route I need to fly back to the UK before a 2 week caribbean cruise. We will be WEARING a lot of our luggage - 3 pairs of socks, 3 bras & knickers, 2 jackets, a couple of jumpers... :D

What always gets me, is that they don`t care how many bags you carry onboard after buying stuff in their duty free section!!!

Ryanair was not my 1st choice, but they are the only direct flight to Rome that day (To fly Aer Lingus, I would have to fly out the next morning at 6:30 am). Plus they are the cheapest, even if I end up paying $50 - $60 extra weight fees (still, I'd like to avoid the fees if I could). I got a couple of small suitcases that I've already measured (and weighed) that I was going to use as carryon items for my 2 kids. My backpack is smaller than those cases. It will be interesting! This could be a good thing because it might force us to pack less. We should be able to wash some clothes onboard the ship, as well as to use the washer at my family's place, as we staying with them in England post-cruise.

Ryanair was not my 1st choice, but they are the only direct flight to Rome that day (To fly Aer Lingus, I would have to fly out the next morning at 6:30 am).

I don't understand this statement-the flight from SFO arrives at 8:40AM. There is are two nonstop AerLingus flights to Rome daily-one early morning, one mid afternoon. There is also a code share flight through Madrid to Rome at 4:00PM.

Plus they are the cheapest, even if I end up paying $50 - $60 extra weight fees (still, I'd like to avoid the fees if I could). I got a couple of small suitcases that I've already measured (and weighed) that I was going to use as carryon items for my 2 kids. My backpack is smaller than those cases. It will be interesting! This could be a good thing because it might force us to pack less. We should be able to wash some clothes onboard the ship, as well as to use the washer at my family's place, as we staying with them in England post-cruise.

I am sure you are aware, but there is a fee to check in each bag. And a per passenger fee to use your debit/credit card. And RyanAir flies into Ciampino, NOT FCO-transport into Rome proper is not as good as from FCO. The excess baggage fees start at 8 Euros per kilo. And you pay another fee if you use your credit/debit card to pay the excess baggage fees.

I agree, you usually can't beat the price on RyanAir. And yes, I have flown RyanAir a couple times out of Ireland (Shannon) for the very same reason-price. But all the add on fees and the HASSLE is not worth it in my book anymore. Good luck!!!

Nope, there's only 1 flight on Aer Lingus on June 14th to Rome, and that's at 7am. There was no afternoon option for me. Besides, Aer Lingus also has it's list of extra fees and a weight check-in limit. This is from their website:

Flights within Europe - Checked Baggage fees apply:

Pay online prior to day of departure:

€6 fee for every bag checked in for each flight.

Pay at the airport on day of departure:

€8 fee for every bag checked in for each flight until 07 Jan 2008.

€9 fee for every bag checked in for each flight from 08 Jan 2008.

Excess Baggage:

A maximum of 20kgs (44lbs)in total weight per passenger is permitted.

Bags in excess of this weight will be charged excess baggage at €8 or equivalent per kilogram.

Cabin Baggage Allowance (no change):

A maximum of 1 Bag per passenger weighing no more than 6 kgs.

Nope, there's only 1 flight on Aer Lingus on June 14th to Rome, and that's at 7am. There was no afternoon option for me.

Out of 4 Saturdays in June, bad luck that you have to fly on the day when the other flight is sold out/chartered.

Besides, Aer Lingus also has it's list of extra fees and a weight check-in limit. This is from their website:

Flights within Europe - Checked Baggage fees apply:

Baggage fees and baggage weight DO NOT apply if you fly from the US and continue on Aer Lingus within 2 weeks. Just sent one of my employees from MCI/JFK (AA) then AerLingus to Rome for a trade show in September. He only had a carryon for clothes, etc. But had two large boxes that he checked as luggage, which held the trade show materials. No problem at all-checked all the way through to Rome. And I will never get him to fly back from Europe again through anyplace other than Ireland. Immigration is SOOOO easy and on arrival at JFK, grab your bags, go through Customs, and out the door you go.

"For Aer Lingus journeys between North America and UK/Europe, the baggage allowance for North America flights will apply to the entire journey within two weeks of initial departure date."

Archived