Tall gals- do you wear high heels?

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I am 5'9", and although I love pretty, high heeled shoes, I never wear above a 2 inch heel. Even when wearing my 2 inch heels I feel like a giant as I tend to tower over most people (including guys and including my 5'9" husband!) I feel like Amazon woman or something. I just wish they made more pretty shoes with a 1 or 2 inch heel instead of 3 or 3 1/2 that seems to be so commonplace for cute shoes/ boots. I hate when taking pictures on the ship how the photographer basically tells me to slouch so I don't look so noticably taller over hubby. It's not always great being so tall, although it comes in handy seeing over people's heads in crowds! :)

I'm a tad over 5"10' and, no, I don't wear really high heels. I feel too tall as it is -- and yes, I have made peace with being tall, that's not it. My DH is about my height (but he'll tell you he's 6") and I do feel a tad awkward if I were to tower over him. Actually high heels are horrible for your feet anyway. It is sometimes hard to find a low-heeled, pretty shoe or sandal, but it can be done. I'm at the age where, yes, I want to look nice but I also want to be comfortable. OMG, I'm getting old:eek:

Susan

I feel your pain. I am 5'9" and DH is only 5'6", so regardless of whether or not I wear heels, I am taller. So, if I want to wear heels, I do. Used to wear really tall heels, but as I am getting older, they aren't as comfortable. But for dressing up, usually wear 2-3" heel. You are right, can't find cute shoes without heels. Plus, I like to wear heels. Makes me taller - distributes the weight over more inches which = thinner. Right??? New math!!!:p

Own your height hon!

I buy the shoes I love regardless of heel height (I'm 5'9ish too). I've been this tall since I was in grade school. Although I joke that I get nosebleeds wearing heels (from the altitude), if I love the shoe, I don't care what the heel height is. The only thing I don't like is I have hit my head on thing or two.

I suppose it helps that BubbaQ is 6'9.

I am 6'1" and my husband is 5'11"...and YES I ALWAYS wear heels on the cruise...why not?? I had a photographer tell me to take my shoes off...I said NO...and he said it will make the picture look better...I told him I didn't care and kept my heels on and looked as proud as I could!! I LOVE my height...and when people say that they wish I would give them a couple of inches..I usually answer with Sorry I am using them all!!

Embrace your stature......:D

Just slip in some lifts in Mr. Misssnoopygirls shoes....hopefully not the black gym shoes you mentioned in another post...then fluff up his hair a bit.....that should even things out:D .

I don't have the picture from your last cruise in front of me....but I think you both looked great, and if I remember...you were wearing heels.

The other practical option for pictures is on a staircase, or have one person be seated......

Talk soon!!

Dave:eek:

I'm only 5'6" and would love to be about 5'9" and if I were, I'd still wear heels! Why not?

DH is 5'7" and one evening, before we were married, I was wearing very high heels making me about 5'10" so I asked him if it bothered him. He said that as long as I was 5'6" lying down, it was fine! :D

I'm only 5'6" and would love to be about 5'9" and if I were, I'd still wear heels! Why not?

DH is 5'7" and one evening, before we were married, I was wearing very high heels making me about 5'10" so I asked him if it bothered him. He said that as long as I was 5'6" lying down, it was fine! :D

You're only 5'6"....LOL I just find the "only" part funny cause I'm "only" 5"!! I'd never even make 5'6" w/heels...I think the tallest heels I have are 3" so I'm not getting over 5'3". Yup a shortie here and I was just reading this thread and found that funny :)

Thanks everyone, your replies made me feel good AND laugh! I too try to embrace my height but deep in my head I still feel like gargantuan woman. I feel so high off the ground wearing heels, like if I were to trip, it would be a LONG way down! And yes, heels DO make you look thinner and your legs leaner! That's why I continue to wear them (although 2 inches max).

I am 5'9" and normally wear the 2" heels only because I'm afraid I would break my neck walking in anything higher. DH is 6'4" and DS(13) just grew another inch to 6'1". DD(10) is trying her hardest to catch up at 5'3". I'm sure she will be passing me in the next year or so and then I will be the shortest in my family:eek: . I already have the smallest feet. DD just past me at size 10 1/2:rolleyes: . I say if you can wear them without falling down, then wear the heels and stand tall:D .

DH is 6' and with my 3" heels I come to 5"10 and it works out perfect. But for some reason people tend to think I'm taller than 5"7 without heels. I think I just tend to stand really straight which must make me look taller. Oh well, I really like a 3" heel and feel really comfortable at that height. Enjoy your height ladies, I'm sure you all look great. Happy sailing.

Sandy

I'm 5'10 and Dh is about 1/2 inch shorter. When we got married I wanted to wear heals, he asked me not to, he didn't want to look short! Of course I didn't, it was his day too. I may wear something with a 2" inch heal on it, it doesn't bother me being taller than everyone else, I kinda of like it. My problem is finding shirts, coats and swimwear that are long enough. Shirt sleeves are always too short, and swimwear is ever long enough in the torso.

I am 5'9", and although I love pretty, high heeled shoes, I never wear above a 2 inch heel. Even when wearing my 2 inch heels I feel like a giant as I tend to tower over most people (including guys and including my 5'9" husband!) I feel like Amazon woman or something. I just wish they made more pretty shoes with a 1 or 2 inch heel instead of 3 or 3 1/2 that seems to be so commonplace for cute shoes/ boots. I hate when taking pictures on the ship how the photographer basically tells me to slouch so I don't look so noticably taller over hubby. It's not always great being so tall, although it comes in handy seeing over people's heads in crowds! :)

Princess Diana would wear heels, just not when she was with Charles, which in the latter years did not matter as she ws never with him.

She always looked very chic and classic and very "put together". So I say unless your man friend is on the short side wear your heels!

I'm 5'10 and Dh is about 1/2 inch shorter. When we got married I wanted to wear heals, he asked me not to, he didn't want to look short! Of course I didn't, it was his day too. I may wear something with a 2" inch heal on it, it doesn't bother me being taller than everyone else, I kinda of like it. My problem is finding shirts, coats and swimwear that are long enough. Shirt sleeves are always too short, and swimwear is ever long enough in the torso.

and I have the opposite problem-sleeves are too long and the torso will be too long, but if I go to the petite shop things seem to fit a little too snug the other way. (I am 5' 4"-so not short or even average) that is why I wear lots of the 3 quarter sleeve shirts and capri length pants and I usually buy a tankini-but even in a tankini I have to be careful as the top will still not fit right-so I like to buy tankinis in separates.

I'm 5'10" and my DH says he is also 5'10" (I think 5'9"); however I love 2 - 2 1/2" heels which I wear to work most every day. I agree it is frustrating that I can't go into most department stores and buy clothes off the rack. I normally have to buy tall sizes through different catalogs. Love the free shipping coupons.

I'm 6' and I wear heels-mostly because in my work I just wear sneaks so for dress up I like to make up for it by going all out with spikes. Nice weekend casual wear is pretty flats though. I have to say that when I got all dressed up in New Orleans a few years ago with 3+" spikes, and a nice cocktail dress I think I heard the word "transvestite" mentioned..... :o

You're only 5'6"....LOL I just find the "only" part funny cause I'm "only" 5"!! I'd never even make 5'6" w/heels...I think the tallest heels I have are 3" so I'm not getting over 5'3". Yup a shortie here and I was just reading this thread and found that funny :)

LOL! I guess you're right. I have a lot of friends who are a good 2 - 3" taller than I am, so I'm always jealous of their height. (however, DH says if I were 5'4", I'd be perfect!)

Glad I gave you a chuckle. :D

I'm 5'8.5", so I usually wear heels (never over 3") when:

1. I'm dressed up.

2. The outfit really requires it (like my dark pantsuit - fearing I'd really look like a man when my hair was short).

3. When I wanted to "look down" at my 5'10" male bosses! (Doesn't work anymore - my female boss is shorter than me even though she wears heels everyday!).

I am 5'9 and never wore heels until my early 20s because I felt the same as you. I actually dated a guy in college that demanded I never wear heels because it made him uncomfortable :eek: (he was only 5'7) Now I love wearing them because as others have said, in my work environment they aren't good for my feet so I usually wear flats or sneakers during the week, unless I am travelling or giving presentations. I wear heels now every chance I get outside of work.

Embrace your height! My grandmother was 6'3 and my mom is 6' and they always wore heels as far back as I can remember. Go for it!

I'm 5.9, and wear high (4 inch or more) heels where ever, en whenever I can. I love being tall, most clothes look good, and wearing heels make me feel like a model ;)

I think in the US women are mostly smaller than in Holland, we have the tallest women in the world, and being 6ft is nothing special at all.

Born in the US I could imagine not wearing such heals... on the other hand, I wore them in Thailand too (made traffic stop in the streets lol!)

Tall is beautifull ladies! show what you've got :p

Archived