Tidal Wave heading for English Channel

want2cruiseagain

I just read that there is a tidal wave heading to the English channel. Will this affect the cruise out of Southampton?

It's not a tidal wave, but a combination of a very high tide and northerly winds pushing water down the east coast. It's likely to affect Norfolk and Suffolk. Southampton should be fine, but spare a thought for us in the firing line.

Mary

I just read that there is a tidal wave heading to the English channel. Will this affect the cruise out of Southampton?

Where did you read this? What cruise out of Southampton? Is it there yet? You know that Southampton isn't directly on the English Channel, yes?

It's not a tidal wave, but a combination of a very high tide and northerly winds pushing water down the east coast. It's likely to affect Norfolk and Suffolk. Southampton should be fine, but spare a thought for us in the firing line.

Mary

Mary,

Perhaps Sir Martin would appreciate a brisk walk along the seaside (on a very long lead). :) :)

I imagine that the sea must be getting lumpy. It's been fairly windy up here and the Calmac ferries are largely confined to port.

I hope that you don't suffer from the elements.

David

Where did you read this? What cruise out of Southampton? Is it there yet? You know that Southampton isn't directly on the English Channel, yes?

I was in a news website and there was a blurb about it with a link that took me to The Mail online. I looked up my TA's website to search for cruises out of England and it listed Cunard leaving 11/9 out of Southampton.

He is already deployed as a sandbag.

Mary

What a wonderful idea! :)

I think we could round up our collection of cats to add to the "Norfolk Wall". SM's hippo friend would cover a substantial area and I'm sure that Jimmy could deliver LS down the M1.

David

The Mail had it posted as a tidal wave. I was not sure if Southampton was in the area or not.

Quite so: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=492533&in_page_id=1770&ct=5 Which just goes to show how poor a newspaper the Hate Mail has become - the headline says 'English Channel' then goes on to list the threatened areas as towns and cities on the North Sea. A sufficiently alarming, but more accurate report from the BBC is: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7085394.stm And a map of general risk areas (but not all in this case - check the 'tidal flooding' on the East Coast): _42024856_flood_map2_416x530.gif

Quite so: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=492533&in_page_id=1770&ct=5 Which just goes to show how poor a newspaper the Hate Mail has become - the headline says 'English Channel' then goes on to list the threatened areas as towns and cities on the North Sea. A sufficiently alarming, but more accurate report from the BBC is: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7085394.stm And a map of general risk areas (but not all in this case - check the 'tidal flooding' on the East Coast): _42024856_flood_map2_416x530.gif

Thanks for the clarification.

What a wonderful idea! :)

I think we could round up our collection of cats to add to the "Norfolk Wall". SM's hippo friend would cover a substantial area and I'm sure that Jimmy could deliver LS down the M1.

David

David: The hippo has an aversion to water other than the drinking kind and even that must have a touch of bourbon added. When the North Sea turns into Jack Daniels I shall be delighted to join Sir M and my betrothed as sand bags or bags of fleas or whatever.

HRHugeness

Mary: I do hope that you aren't affected by this tidal surge. Having owned a home on the Chesapeake Bay, I know how Mother Nature can at times stir things up. Keep us posted. The hippo :D and me.

Bettie

David: The hippo has an aversion to water other than the drinking kind and even that must have a touch of bourbon added. When the North Sea turns into Jack Daniels I shall be delighted to join Sir M and my betrothed as sand bags or bags of fleas or whatever.

HRHugeness

Bettie - please inform you cat that the North sea is euphemism for bourbon. Europeans can't stand that stuff; We don't like to tell you; so we just pour away any that you send over. The North Sea is the resulting puddle:)

how current is that picture - it shows Portsmouth being at risk - in time for the next football match perhaps:D ?

Seriously - Mary (Sir Martin of course) and Kazzie - hope you are all ok.

Karen

Mary

Mary...have sent you a private mail but in case you don't get it just want you to know that I am praying that you and all our CC friends in potential harm will stay safe and dry...you're in our thoughts for sure...Take care....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

I was in a news website and there was a blurb about it with a link that took me to The Mail online. I looked up my TA's website to search for cruises out of England and it listed Cunard leaving 11/9 out of Southampton.

It's a bit early to be worried about the weather next September.

Matthew

"Tidal Wave heading for English Channel"

LOL, didn't I see this in the movie The Day After Tomorrow?

LOL! I was thinking of that awful one with Morgan Freeman and Tea Leone (or however you spell her name, she's not worth looking it up), wasn't it called Deep Impact or something inappropriate like that? I can't believe I actually sat through that movie.

Bettie - please inform you cat that the North sea is euphemism for bourbon. Europeans can't stand that stuff; We don't like to tell you; so we just pour away any that you send over. The North Sea is the resulting puddle:)

Malcolm: Surely wish I had known this when I sailed out of Dover--I would have dropped a bucket over to "smuggle" to my cabin.:D Is this what has caused the cliffs to turn white??:)

Bette

It was announced in Scarborough that there was to be a tidal wave because the QM2 was coming to town. Of course we all know that the Press don't get the right story every time, there was no retraction but they did show some nice photos of QE2 in the bay during the anniversary cruise.

Archived