Fuel surcharges

Keats

Uh, no. With respect, it is apples and apples. Gasoline is not a product in the classical sense. Rather, it is operationally the same as a service, for the context we're discussing.

Gasoline is a service? Next you'll be telling me that I can go the docks and buy 5 gallons of cruise. Thanks for the entertainment.:rolleyes:

Just where didf your sense of humour go.!!!!!!!

Everything I write according to you is wrong?

My remarks to Largin were in jest for heavens sake

And that's exactly how I took them. I was just having fun with you!!! :)

Rather, it is operationally the same as a service, for the context we're discussing.
Gasoline is a service?
Now you're just being abusive. That is not what I said. I've included my original quote so you can see your mistake. The point is that the economic and consumer implications are the same.

You said:

Gasoline is not a product in the classical sense.
There is no comparison and the implications are entirely different. Buying fuel is a necessity (and please don't go further off topic about alternatives to driving a car) while cruising is a luxury.

Going on a cruise is purely discretionary. We're being told that it's going to cost more, end of story. That cost is directly related to operational costs that the corporation does not want to absorb; they want to maintain profitability. My point is simply that they also need to maintain MY perception of value for the money spent at the same or higher level than I am accustomed to, or I will evaluate other options. I won't engage in writing letters or posting rants on this site, I'll just quietly make other plans if I'm not satisfied.

There is a difference between my assessment and the ideas expressed by those who are opposed to paying the increased costs. I'm willing to do it so long as quality is maintained. What I interpret from some of the comments others have made is that they want their costs to remain static and have CCL find other ways to be profitable. We've been down that road, and the result in my estimation is an erosion of the distinction between a cruise (in the classic sense) and a stay at a typical resort.

You said:
Yes, that is what I said. I NEVER said it was a service, which is what you claimed.

There is no comparison and the implications are entirely different.
There is a comparison, and the implications are almost identical. You can disagree, if you wish.

Going on a cruise is purely discretionary.
That, at least, is a good point. It highlights what differences there are, to contrast with the similarities which I alluded to. However, you're driving us vigorously away from the topic. You said that because of the fuel surcharge you're paying more, so you asserted that that means you should get "improved service" rather than what I asserted, which is that the additional fuel is (partially) paid-for, and that you can expect nothing better than the same level of service. The fact that one purchase is discretionary and the other is not does not change that dynamic as much as you apparently would like us to believe.

Inflation happens when the cost of things increase so much that it no longer makes financial sense to offer a service as what was previously the prevailing price.

I just got my email confirmation regarding the fuel charge being added, but it scared me. it said it Princess...Emergency Notification Urgent...thought something was wrong with my booking. turned out it was telling us about the fuel change. for us, it's $70 in total. i kinda knew it would happen. since the buses out here had to raise their prices this week due to gas prices, and milk and all groceries are now more expensive, figured the cruise would also do it.

We downgraded our cabin from a BC balcony to a BD balcony, went from midship to aft, saved us $60, which is cool by us. not that the $70 in fuel would have made or break our expenses, but i'd rather put money into shopping than a cabin, so im fine with being aft now.

i wonder if the fuel charges will go up even more if gas prices hit the $4 mark like they are predicting in some areas.

Archived