Drive vs. fly to port

newenglander58

Hi all - I'm new to this board and learning so much.

Took my first cruise this June on Disney Wonder - absolutely loved it and now am planning an April cruise with DH - still deciding on a cruise line.

My husband's ears really bother him when he flies - I am wondering for what the opinion is for driving to NY/NJ and leaving from there vs flying to FL?? Is there really a savings by eliminating the flight or does the longer cruise even things out????

Thanks for the input.

Paula

Sailing out of the NY area is almost always more expensive than sailing from FL. We've found that even with airfare, cruises out of Fl. or San Juan are usually cheaper than leaving from NY.

However, flying out of NY now is such a hassle that we decided to sail from NY even with the added expense.

We will never fly to the cruis eport the same day anymore, because I haven't been on a flight out of NY in the past year that has left on time. So add in a hotel night to stay in the day before the cruise.

And on our FOS cruise, AA sent one piece of luggage to San Juan instead of Miami - if we had sailed the day we flew, we wouldn't have had that piece of luggage until the third day of our cruise. We were able to drive back to the airport (we rented a car) to pick up the luggage when it was flown back to Miami that night.

But leaving out of New York is a pleasure. We just did the Explorer and drove to the port in Bayonne- it was wonderful and stress free. I also love the Brooklyn terminal.

To me, to reduce stress and not have to worry about flying - it is worth the extra price to sail out of NY.

Archived