On the Triumph .....Beer Question

sparkscruiser

Beer drinkers, we will be on the Triumph in a few weeks and wanted to know if anyone has had a black and tan (Guiness and Bass Ale)? Our experience has been that we need to show the bartenders how to make one on our previous cruises. Would you recommend we take our Guiness spoon to make the instruction easier?

Beer drinkers, we will be on the Triumph in a few weeks and wanted to know if anyone has had a black and tan (Guiness and Bass Ale)? Our experience has been that we need to show the bartenders how to make one on our previous cruises. Would you recommend we take our Guiness spoon to make the instruction easier?

You are correct that you may need to show the bartender, but I see no reason for a guiness spoon since you can achieve the same results with a careful pour yourself. Just order a Guinness and a Bass and a pint glass and you are set. Makes a great icebreaker with the bartender, and was an after-dinner staple for me.

The only "problem" is that the Guinness can holds more than the Bass bottle, so I poured a correct B&T, then had the Guinness for dessert ;) .

Have a great time!

Great idea! By the way, love all your coments regarding "beverages". We are home brewers and I am a beer judge, so I always look forward to your posts. Thanks again.:)

No problem. As you can probably tell, I am a beer nut (and homebrewer), but not a judge. I am sure some of my reviews are off, but I just call 'em as I see 'em.

Love this time of year since all the "real" beers like octoberfest ands winter lagers are coming out.

BTW, I have heard that you can bring a six pack back from port with no trouble (as opposed to embarkation). Give Belikin Stout a try if you are in the Belize area. Sort of like a cream stout.

Have a great time on your cruise.

We plan on going back to Belize in the future - probably in 2009 - had a great time when we were there last year. You've given me a great reason to go back - haven't tried the Belikin Stout yet. I did bring back a Belikin bottle from the last cruise - even put it in my carry on - Security was a bit confused why I wanted to taken an empty bottle - but they let us through. What's your favorite when making homebrew and what kind of set up do you have?

We plan on going back to Belize in the future - probably in 2009 - had a great time when we were there last year. You've given me a great reason to go back - haven't tried the Belikin Stout yet. I did bring back a Belikin bottle from the last cruise - even put it in my carry on - Security was a bit confused why I wanted to taken an empty bottle - but they let us through. What's your favorite when making homebrew and what kind of set up do you have?

Took a stab at mashing years ago (when I had lots more time), but I can't justify the time vs. extract brewing.

I do a full 5 gallon brew using the lightest extract I can find, then use specialty grains and hops to achieve the style I am looking for. For summer brewing I have a modified fridge that keeps the temps at 65 degrees. Other must haves are my homemade immersion chiller, 6 gallon primary glass carboy, 5 gallon secondary carboy, racking siphon pump, and standup crown press (no hand help crap for me).

Coincidentally, I just bought a kegerator conversion kit for my other fridge and hope to start force carbonating my beer as opposed to bottle conditioning. I am looking forward to having celebration ale on tap before Christmas -- wish me luck!

How's the beer situation out there - have any beer events worth the trip from Virginia?

We use a three tier system that my husband built - we can do ten gallons at a time - great for those beers that everyone loves. We won best of show with our version of Sierra Nevada Celebration. We call it Hallelujah Brew. We don't have all that many events here in Reno, just our local club that puts on a competition. Lost one we entered did garner several entries from out of state. Didn't win best of show in that one, but did have 5 beers out of fifteen in the BOS final. We use a large "can hold four bodies" freezer that we keep at a temp so we can lager. We try to keep four beers on tap - but haven't been successful lately as we've been out of town quite a bit. Great talking to real beer afficienados!

How's the beer situation out there - have any beer events worth the trip from Virginia?

Being in Northern Virginia, you should check out the situation at the Brewer's United For Real Potables' ("BURP") Real Ale Festival next weekend. Look at BURP.org for information. It's one of the largest real ale festivals in the U.S., and one of the best run around. Our club has been putting it on for years. Unfortunately, being in Arizona now, I can't make it back this year, but it's worth the time if you like great brew.

We were fortunate to find an Irish bar tender on the Pride earlier this year, so had no problems.

Also brought on a couple of Lambics in our carry-on luggage. I think we were the only people stopped to ask about our liquor. Since they were corked when we took them out of our bag, the inspector/security told us "Enjoy your wine," and we passed right through. Next time I think I'll bring a six pack of Millennium and see if it passes the "wine test" too.

Archived