What was your best souvenir?

yerlaw

I got a couple of nice prints that look great on the wall. I am an airline buff and got an old Alaska Convair 240 print with the Eskimo tail, a Wings float plane over the glacier and another float plane over Misty Fjords to remind me of the trips. I got them unframed and did it when I got home. I dont have need for a lot of knicknacks, but the artwork looks great on the wall. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Thanks for the reply tadjr.

One thing that I would be interested in would be professionally taken photographs of wildlife/glaciers/etc. I assume that the ports on the inside passage have art dealers that would have such items. Which leads to another question? I hope that the store you bought your art from either shipped it to your home or gave you a tube to carry it home in. Did you have any trouble getting your art home? Thanks.

We did get a couple of t-shirts and sent some
salmon home but the pictures we took on our
digital camera and then put them on a disk and
made copies for friends were appreciated most.
Memories made and shared are special gifts to
anyone. A couple may even be blown up to go on
a wall. Take more film than you think possible
to use and enjoy.

I got them in a nice art shop in Juneau and they offered shipping. They were already matted, just not framed. I put them between something sturdy and carried them home in my carry on bag.
There are a lot of nice art shops around and they have some great local pictures to choose from.

My wife and I both got a favorite in Ketchikan.
Mine is a handmade Ulu knife with an antler handle. It is beautiful. It came from "The Blue Heron" at 123 Stedman.
My wife got a handmade doll which is a little over 12" tall. It has on the native dress made of different furs. A little attached booklet tells what each fur is. This came from a shop on Creek St.
Both shops shipped our items to our home.
Russ

SC Traveler
May 11-22-2004 Princess Land and Sea Tour

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] gifts

We got the ulu knife - remember to pack it in your suitcase.

Have taken a lot of pictures and bought several items to place on the wall.

One year we also got a caribou antler.

But the best - sending home salmon!

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ruvidu

the doll sounds lovely. i collect kachina dolls from arizona and am going to be looking for a doll from alaska this next trip. im so glad i saw your post and to read about the shop on creek street. i am also going to be looking for a russian nesting doll. i found one i loved last year and thought i would shop around. i left port and never did pick one up. im hoping i can get things sent home and have them intact when they get here.

last year i bought a gorgeous ammilite ring ( it is a shell found in the alaska waters ) in ketchikan at a local jewlery shop. i love it and want to look for more of it also. a necklace this time. and has been stated the art work is lovely too. all the money i am saving by not going on the expensive tours ( whale watching, float and hellicopter rides ) which i did last year can be put towards some wonderful things to bring home and remember my trip always.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05
Alaska glacier bay again

Hey Dustyroad,
We had all of our purchases shipped home. The only store to charge us a handleing fee was Princess. Everything we purchased arrived safe and sound within a week.
Have a safe trip,
Russ

SC Traveler
May 11-22-2004 Princess Land and Sea Tour

thanks russ

i cant wait to get there and pick up all the things i want this time. and i am going to go to the art auction on the ship this time also. i did not do that the last trip.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05
Alaska glacier bay again

Officially it's the sweatshirts from Gallagaskin's in Juneau. Unofficially it's the pooping bear and moose key chains. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;
Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00
Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;
Carnival Triumph - 7/02;
Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04; QM2 - 5/04; Voyager of the Seas - 5/04

We bought the book from the ship that has many coupons in it for the ports you are visiting plus the ones you dont. It was $20 but at each port we went to the shops and collected our free or for a small amount trinkets. They were very nice some silver tanzanite pendants or earings were the best. But my best souveniers are free because I collect rocks so I get one or more from each place I visit.

NCL Sunward 1983
Carnival 1995
Regal 1998
Explorer of the Seas 2001
Infinity May 2004

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I Love it when we're Cruisin together!!

Thanks for all of your posts. My wife and I are looking forward to our cruise. There are so many things we want to do in Alaska that shopping may have to take a back seat(don't tell my wife). Again thanks for your sugestions.

Archived