First Time Cruiser/first Time On This Board

relo854

Have traveled to all inclusive beach resorts in Mexico and the Carribean the past 10 years. We want to try something differant...an Alaskan cruise...big differance..huh!!???

There are so many choices. Which cruise liine...We're looking more for the nature and the beauty of Alaska...not necessary the luxury of the ship. We do want a ship with a good rep (our travel agent recommended Royal Carribean, Holland and Princess).

We looke thru thr brochures and websites and are SOOO confused. Any comments to help a first time cruiser is appreciated.

This website/forum is a little confusing for first timers...any suggestions on how to go thru this forum/webiste are appreciated also...thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! First of all, picking a cruise can be overwhelming for all of us- not just for first time cruisers. Although we usually book our own cruises, you're wise to use a TA for your first cruise. And those 3 lines are all great. The only differences (off the top of my head LOL) is that HAL tends to be a little more "formal" and tends to attract a somewhat older crowd. (For DH- that's my Dear Hubby- HAL means bringing a suit, while on RCI and Princess he feels comfortable wearing dress pants, nice shirt and tie) (Although each line will have some in tuxs and some in very casual clothes on formal night) For me, these are non-issues. (And our one Alaska cruise was with HAL- and was wonderful!).

Some issues with Alaska cruises (in addition to which line): roundtrip or one way? Which ports? Which glaciers? Just cruise or a cruisetour? Balcony or OV? Your TA should be able to help you talk through your options and narrow down your choices.

Also, check the Alaska Forum

Click here: Alaska - Cruise Critic Message Boards

And also read a little on the forums for the individual cruise lines (scroll down to the bottom of any page- on the bottom right, go to Forum Jump).

I also agree that the scenery is more important than the ship. In fact, I think we enjoyed "glacier watchng" more than we enjoyed the ports (although Juneau and Sitka were interesting- but Ketchikan was a tourist trap). Our cruise went to the Hubbard Glacier- which was magnificent. Obviously you don't go right to the glacier- you're out on deck- dress warmly-as the ship gets as close as allowed- and the ship rotates occasionally so that those with balconies can see everything. HAL (& I assume other lines) had an "expert" onboard who gave a running commentary about the glaciers, wildlife, history, geology, etc. Plus, we had some "lectures" that you could attend for more info (I recommend them).

Cruising vs all-inclusives: although all your meals are included (except for the optional fancy restaurants), your drinks- alcoholic and sodas- are not. Water, iced tea, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and juices in the AM are all included. Shore excursions are also an additional price (these can be arranged through the cruiseline or on your own- which is usually cheaper). Tips are also not included- and they can add up, so make sure your TA explains all this to you.

Enough from me- I don't want to confuse you even more! Keep reading and posting (using this site gets easier as you get more experience with it's quirks!) Good luck!

I would suggest just reading the posts for info for a first timer. It is important to understand the difference between all inclusive in Mexico resorts and cruise inclusive. A lot of the bigger complainers that are on here have never researched anything and then blame the line.

My preference is to go to the caribbean as I like sun and sand. As to picking a cruise line, I believe the ship is more important than the lines itself. I prefer the mass market lines i.e. NCL and Carnival but would not rule any out as I select on itinerary and price. With some specials out there currently with OBC offered you should do pretty well. Good luck.

The best way to attack this is process of eliminination.

Where do you want to go? If it's Alaska you have now eliminiated all cruises going other places.

When do you want to go? Again, you eliminiate all trips that are not then. If you are not sure think about what you want. High season = high prices. Shoulder seasons (May & Spetember for Alaska) get you a better deal price wise but may have other drawbacks.

How much do you want to spend for the cruise itself?

Where do you want to leave from? Remember air fare may be extra.

Do you want to depart from & return to the same port? Remember 1 way air fare can be costly but you may catch a break.

How long can you travel? I dont think there are any weekend or short cruises to Alaska. Most are 7 days but if you want something longer, that will eliminate a lot of ships / cruises too.

When you answer those Qs, many things will have been eliminated.

Then you can learn more about each line to see which seems to suit you best. You can also just pick based on price / value.

It's hard to go wrong as long as you understand what's included & what's extra. Have fun!

My first cruise was last May 9th 2007. We did Alaska on Royal Caribbeans "Vision of the Seas" departing and returing from Seattle. I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!! The only downside is that I didnt spend the money to get a balcony or ocean view thinking it would be too cold to be on a balcony..... the opportunity to lay in bed or sit and look out would have been worth the extra money.

IF YOU CAN, book your cruise the week before school gets out. We only had 6 kids under 12 on our ship.... the entire ship... it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

I did a 7 day cruise, the waters were soooooo calm as you're between land on the inside passage. It was an amazing trip and I'm soooo thrilled to have done it!

Archived