embarkment questions Dawn

musicgirl63

I've got a couple of Pre-cruise questions.

We will of course be checking our main bags, but I wanted to know if there was a limit on the size of carry ons? I'd like to consolidate our small bags (camera cases, meds, etc.) into one bigger rolling bag. It won't be "large" , but bigger than I want to carry while going through embarking and then walking around the ship before our room is ready.

If I park at the port in New York, can I park before the actual cruise? I have hotel ressies for 2 nights before the cruise and would like to include that so that I can get the $180 rate.

If they do allow you to park before the cruise, can you go back and forth to your car? We're thinking of leaving a few bags in the car, is it even safe? We're staying in a very, very small room near the port and it would be easier!!!

You can bring a carry on as long as it fits through the x-ray machine, just like they have in an airport.

As far as parking at the pier, I have never done it, but I understand that you can only enter on the day of the cruise, show your ticket, and you can park. If another ship is going to be at the pier the day you want to park, maybe they will let you...I don't know though.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

People continue to say the x-ray machines on the pier are just like the airport. My experience says they are not.

In fact, on our recent cruise, we wound up taking our bags all the way onboard, and these large bags fit fine in the x-ray thingie. They would NOT fit at the airport for sure.

Thanks, I want to take my small rolling bag, but it is always questionable on size on whether or not it would be ok for a carry on on the plane. It is right on the size (l + w + h) as a carry on for the plane and I never wanted to risk it.

Anyone else recently parked at the pier??? I think the hotel has someplace to park (not on site) so I know I would be ok. It still would be nice to be able to park it once, long term.

Hopefully someone will know for sure and reply, but I don't believe you can park ahead of time at the port. The port parking is not open to the general public. When you arrive on embarkation day, you pay in advance to the attendant at the booth before you park. If there is no ship leaving that day, there most likely is no attendant. This may have been different when the Intrepid was there as a museum, because you could park on the pier closest to the Intrepid, but it was moved for refurbishment. I think when there are no ships in port, the entire port access is secured, as there is no reason for the general public to be near there. It is very similar to an airport for drop off and pickup. You drive up to the 2nd level, drop off passengers/luggage, and then drive up to the 3rd level (the roof of the piers) and park. The first level is for taxi dropoffs. There are no shops or anything for the public.

I've parked there for 4 cruises and it is very safe. Another tip: they don't take American Express for parking.

Archived