Just a beach...please !

WELSH WIZARDS

Hi, I live in Wales. Here we have lots of huge, sandy beaches, with easy access.

We will be in Bonaire in Dec. and all I want to do is sit on a beach, walk into the sea with out hurting my feet, and have a chair or bed, with some shade. I will pay a taxi, pay an entrance fee, pay for hire, and go anywhere not to far from the port. We do not want to snorkel , just swim somewhere with out wearing horrid plastic shoes. Is there such a place on Bonaire ?

Hi Welsh Wizards,

Sorry, but I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for in Bonaire.

Bonaire's beaches are all crushed coral and entering the water can be very rocky but the water is beautiful and crytal clear.

Hi Welsh Wizards,

Sorry, but I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for in Bonaire.

Bonaire's beaches are all crushed coral and entering the water can be very rocky but the water is beautiful and crytal clear.

Thank you very much for this info. At least I now know, and I am very grateful to you for that. We can now make plans to stay on board or tour the island. :)

Hi, I live in Wales. Here we have lots of huge, sandy beaches, with easy access.

We will be in Bonaire in Dec. and all I want to do is sit on a beach, walk into the sea with out hurting my feet, and have a chair or bed, with some shade. I will pay a taxi, pay an entrance fee, pay for hire, and go anywhere not to far from the port. We do not want to snorkel , just swim somewhere with out wearing horrid plastic shoes. Is there such a place on Bonaire ?

No it is an island for diving, coral (ouch) reefs

Hi Wiz

Take a water taxi across to Klein Bonaire it's an island just off the coast .Superb white sandy beach although no chairs or loungers.The middle of the island is covered in bush which comes down to within 20 or so metres of the sea line.You can sit under the over hanging bush for shade.Their is a small shack selling drinks.Their was less than 50 people on the day we went so you could put as much distance between yourselves as you wanted.No shoes required

HTH.

• 1 month later...

I am coming to this discussion a bit late, but have a follow-up question. I have read about Eden Beach & been to their site. From the pics it looks like a beautiful, sandy beach. I am guessing that it is the entry to the water that is the problem (re: rocky, not sandy). Am I correct on that? My Mom doesn't swim & would be very content to relax on the beach. This seems like a great option. Is it also true that you can walk down to the steps & then put fins on, without the need for shoes or booties?

Hi Denham-

Yes, you can walk barefoot across the sandy beach, then walk out the little pier. When I was there, I sat on the steps (that lead down into the water), and put on my fins from there.

The only challenge is for those folks who wanted to wade barefoot directly into the water - as the reef comes right up to the shoreline.

Thanks for that info. As for the steps - it sounds like an easy way to put fins on and get in. How is for getting back out? Do the steps go down into the water, or do you have to hoist yourself up a ways to get back out? Just trying to get a clear picture of things. This sounds like where we'll be going.

Hi, I too am new to this thread and will be in Bonaire on Feb. 13. Have been waiting to get to Bonaire to do my snorkeling. While in Hawaii we snorkled over a reef and I got pretty beat up on the coral. So how do people do it? Does everybody use the steps? How deep is the water at the steps level? This looks like a very nice place to spend the day. Also, how much to rent gear and snorkle? How far from the dock for ships and is there a charge to enter the beach? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Great info here....thanks! Can anyone tell me if Eden Beach has a place to rent snorkle gear? Thanks!

Just back from Summit cruise with one day in Bonaire. We took a taxi to Eden Beach Resort ($9 from cruise terminal for 4 passengers - total, not each). We rented fins and snorkels for $6 pp and a chair for $3 pp. We emailed

Miguel A. Brito at activities@edenbeach.com who reserved the fins and snorkels for us, which was a good thing since they were out by the time we arrived (2:00 - Ship did not dock until 1:00). This place got a bit crowded as it was where the gal tending the tourist booth right off the ship was sending everyone there, though she was referring to "Bongo's".

Just back from Summit cruise with one day in Bonaire. We took a taxi to Eden Beach Resort ($9 from cruise terminal for 4 passengers - total, not each). We rented fins and snorkels for $6 pp and a chair for $3 pp. We emailed

Miguel A. Brito at activities@edenbeach.com who reserved the fins and snorkels for us, which was a good thing since they were out by the time we arrived (2:00 - Ship did not dock until 1:00). This place got a bit crowded as it was where the gal tending the tourist booth right off the ship was sending everyone there, though she was referring to "Bongo's".

Great info! thank you so much! $9 bucks for a taxi is super cheap for all of you!

Hi Cathy, the beach has a lot of coral pieces mixed in with the sand. I walked across the "sand" into the water several times and you can do it barefoot, just have to watch your step. I saw lots of people with the little snorkel/dive booties. I grew up in Kentucky, so I'm used to going barefoot:) Have not been to Klein Bonaire, so I cannot compare with Eden. One thing, you walk into the water only a few feet before you reach the reef, which is rough and slippery, then a pretty big drop off after that. Also, the day we were there it was quite windy so the waves could knock you down if your footing is not good. Hope that helps!

Archived