I Need To Bring An Iron

nickylu818

I have smuggled a travel iron on a cruise before but usually find the LAST thing I want to do on a cruise is IRON! Plus, I have decided I would hate to be the one to start a FIRE on board :/

To avoid wrinkles here are a few hints:

1. Take your dinner clothes to the cleaners before your cruise. See if they will put each item in it's own plastic bag. Then pack your clothes in the plastic bags by sort of fan folding them in your suitcase squeezing the air out while you go. No idea why this works, but it does help.

2. For gentlemen. Again at the cleaners, have dress shirts done with heavy starch and boxed rather than hung. They will pack easier and maintain their shape better.

3. Pack some of that Downy wrinkle spray stuff.

4. Before I shower I turn the water on all the way hot and hang my clothes in the bathroom for a couple of minutes then I turn the temp down and take my shower. The steam helps a lot to pull out wrinkles.

5. Some of my summery clothes are cotton but I have slowly moved my cruise wear to liquid jersey type things that can pretty much be balled up, thrown in a suitcase and still come out looking great. My cotton sports wear I iron at home using spray starch and they usually pack pretty well.

6. If you are willing to buy your booze, you can also consider springing for pressing services from your cabin steward. If my things are REALLY wrinkled when I unpack the first night, I will put it all out to be pressed (for a fee). It usually comes back the next evening before dinner and then all I need to do each evening is pull my clothes out of the closet and put them on!

Taking an Iron on board is totally forbidden by Costa - fire hazard. We were told (on the Europa) that the Cabin Stewards report any Irons that they see.

Why worry about a few wrinkles - it's a holiday.

If you think your cothes are wrinkled - just take a look at some of the older "young ladies" by the pool, I'm sure they don't Iron anything before dinner. :rolleyes:

Ron

Each ship has a laundry / dry cleaning / ironing service.

Absolutely NO IRON! As all previous posters mentioned, irons are are fire and safety hazard not only for you, but also for everybody else on board. I'd also hate to think that after a fire they track your cabin number down as the cause... guess who will be responsible?

Also, you may most likely blow the circuit breaker anyways in your cabin once you plug your iron in, as the electrical circuits are not layed out for such a big draw (safety reasons again - which is smart). I guess your cabin steward would be suspicious too when you blow the circuit all the time...

Just leave the iron at home and take Downy Wrinkle Release instead!!! That stuff works well, if you're concerned about wrinkles (does not work in the facial and other body part areas!) LOL ;-)

Andy

Because the electrical set up at sea is different than that at your home...it is not necessarily the iron that falls and starts a fire on the fabric or carpet - it is the short circuit that at best blows the breaker at worst starts an electrical fire....

Well, if you're careless with a curling iron and leave it close to something flamable, then yes, it could happen. But as Bambi said, it's not necessary the iron setting something on fire due to overheating, it's the electrical fire and the overload with causes the fire.

Razors, shavers, or whatever other equipment will not draw such a huge amount of amps and watts, therefore will not overload the circuit. An iron on the other hand will create a lot of draw on the circuit... just try to plug in your iron into your car cigarette lighter outlet (with converter) and you'll see what happens (not that you should iron while driving anyways! LOL)... plug in any other small electrical device and you'll be fine.

Same on the cruise ship.... LEAVE YOUR IRON AT HOME, relax and don't let the wrinkles bother you... or bring a bottle of wrinkle releaser! Works great and does not cause any harm!

Andy

I read the full maritime report on that fire from the coast guard. it started on the outside of a balcony. it can't be proved but chances are it was a cigarette butt thrown overboard, blown onto some towels/bathing suits drying on balcony furniture.

Rules are made to be kept and not broken especially rules of safety

The person who wishes to smuggle their iron on board would be horrified if Costa did something equally silly that would endanger their safety yet they are sitting there try to do just the same .

I dont think some people realise just how vunerable we are whilst out at sea.

Last week I was on the Costa Victoria and we left Santorini early because bad weather was coming in.

We were at sea for about 2 days in terrible storms The first morning we heard on the news that a tanker had split in half and 3 other ships had gone down this starts to bring into perspective the vunerability on the ships at sea.

I am a seasoned cruiser I have sailed about 25 cruises but please if you feel you cant travel without an iron save your money and get therapy

If you didnt really mean that I hang clothes in the bathroom whilst showering the steam helps to remove the crease and the hair dryer isnt a bad substitute providing you dont block the air vents

I agree that you should not bring an iron. The cabins have warnings about them. We just got off the Costa Fortuna and you need to bring an adapter as the ship is european, which increases the fire hazzard.

I agree with Jennifer - the Concordia also had dual voltage plugs so that both US and European appliances could be used; I would be surprised if the other Costa ships did not. But that still doesn't mean that one should bring an iron!

Judy

There could have been both types, but I only saw the 220, and as I had an adapter, I just used it. To be honest I did not look for the 110 once I saw the other. This is a question for your travel agent, or for a company agent.

That's what I recall from the Magica Judy, one right next to each other at the vanity.

I wonder though - when you cruised the med - did they by chance have the US plug covered since your departure port was European? cd was on a transatlantic so maybe they covered the US one?

Archived