Kenai Peninsula Wildlife

Twoifbyc

First, thank you to everyone who posts to this Alaska forum. Your questions, answers, ideas and opinions are making my planning a lot easier.

Due to work schedules and other things, we (group of two couples traveling together) are going to be doing a south-bound Coral Princess cruise from Whittier on May 19, 2008. We are hoping to fly into Anchorage on May 15 (haven’t booked our flights yet). Our original plan was to take the train to Denali for two nights, but I’m starting to second guess that plan based on feedback/shared opinions about not being able to get too far into Denali before our sailing date.

My question—would there be similar (or even more, due to the road restrictions in Denali) opportunities to see “land” wildlife (moose, bears, etc.) on the Kenai Peninsula as what we might experience in Denali? I know the marine wildlife is what the Kenai Peninsula is known for, as well as the ice fields.

If we were to focus our plan closer to Anchorage/Kenai peninsula, how far north would we need to go to view Mt. McKinley (assuming there is 100% visibility)?

Thank you in advance for any experience/suggestions you may offer.

Pam

My question—would there be similar (or even more, due to the road restrictions in Denali) opportunities to see “land” wildlife (moose, bears, etc.) on the Kenai Peninsula as what we might experience in Denali? I know the marine wildlife is what the Kenai Peninsula is known for, as well as the ice fields.

I've only been to Kenai once (not as part of a cruise, just an extended weekend trip). From that lone experience, I would say that land wildlife viewing will be hit-or-miss. There are warning signs about bear and moose on the trail to Exit Glacier - fortuneately we didn't stumble upon either, and never saw anything bigger than chipmunk sized on the trail or anywhere else from land in the Seward area. From the boat tour we did see a bear on shore, and the ranger mentioned spotting a moose that we missed seeing. But you are correct, the Kenai area and the boat tours focus more on the marine wildlife and we weren't disapointed on that part (orca and humpback whales, eagles, puffins, sea lions, Holgate Glacier, etc).

If you want to see moose, the town of Soldotna is filled with them. On E. Redoubt Rd, early mornings and evening (feeding times), I have never failed to see moose.

You are really too early for bear. They are just coming out of their dens and will be in the meadows feeding on sedge/grasses. The fish won't have started coming in yet, so little chance of seeing bears in the streams around the Kenai.

If you want to see moose, the town of Soldotna is filled with them. On E. Redoubt Rd, early mornings and evening (feeding times), I have never failed to see moose.

You are really too early for bear. They are just coming out of their dens and will be in the meadows feeding on sedge/grasses. The fish won't have started coming in yet, so little chance of seeing bears in the streams around the Kenai.

Where is Soldotna? Is that close to Seward?

Where is Soldotna? Is that close to Seward?

Soldotna is about 50 miles south of the junction at Cooper Landing-you go straight to Seward and right to Homer. About 90 miles from Soldotna to Seward. Best to do an overnight in Soldotna either on the way to Seward or the way back-you can get up early and see the moose. A night along the river, a good breakfast and moose in the morning. Now that is Alaska.

Barek and greatam,

Thank you for your quick responses. Greatam, I'll take a look at Soldotna and the Cooper River area.

Pam

If you are thinking about Soldotna for a night, try this guy's place. Right on the Kenai River and the moose are thick down his road. Little cabins, with kitchens. Very peaceful and great people.

http://www.petesfishing.com/

Hi Pam,

We are doing the exact thing as you...land cruise starting May 15 and then Coral Princess on the 19th. The people at Alaska Tour and Travel(recommend by fellow CC members) have been terrific and their land package is actually cheaper then booking it myself or going through Princess. They recommended Denali versus Seward/Kenai only because that will let us see another side of Alaska(mountains and forest), since our cruise will allow us to see a lot of glaciers. Just thought I would share their point of view.

Look forward to chatting with you on our roll call.

Take care,

Susan

First, thank you to everyone who posts to this Alaska forum. Your questions, answers, ideas and opinions are making my planning a lot easier.

Due to work schedules and other things, we (group of two couples traveling together) are going to be doing a south-bound Coral Princess cruise from Whittier on May 19, 2008. We are hoping to fly into Anchorage on May 15 (haven’t booked our flights yet). Our original plan was to take the train to Denali for two nights, but I’m starting to second guess that plan based on feedback/shared opinions about not being able to get too far into Denali before our sailing date.

If we were to focus our plan closer to Anchorage/Kenai peninsula, how far north would we need to go to view Mt. McKinley (assuming there is 100% visibility)?

Thank you in advance for any experience/suggestions you may offer.

Pam

Seeing wildlife at Denali that early is very hit or miss. You won't get very far at all on the road into the park.

On a very clear day, you can see Mt. McKinley from Anchorage. Best is probably taking the drive to Talkeetna (100 miles north of Anchorage) where there are viewings along the Parks Highway if the mountain is out. Chances are slim you will see Mt. McKinley on just a drive to Talkeetna and back. I would probably not make the drive if the main goal is to see the mountain, unless I received reports that the mountain was out, and even then it can cloud over at any time.

I usually spend 3-4 nights at Denali each time that I go, much of it near Wonder Lake, and usually I have one opportunity in that time frame to see the mountain. In July 2007 that opportunity was a 3 hour window from 2am to 5am and if I hadn't camped at Wonder Lake, I would not have seen it from near the park entrance.

Personally, I would spend the time on the Kenai Peninsula - Soldotna was recommended, the 6 hour boat tour from Seward is great for wildlife viewing and even with the glacier they bring you to, you get closer to it than the cruise ship gets to glaciers.

John

Susan, welcome aboard our sailing. I look forward to chatting with you on our roll call (has already been started) too. FYI-- Alaska Tour and Travel may normally be better priced than doing it on your own or through Princess, but there are some coupon/web deals that are out there right now that may be better for your budget if you did it on your own. Northern Lights entertainment book has a two-for-one roundtrip ticket for Alaska Railroad. The Denali ARAMARK resorts (which seem to be the only ones open with shuttle from the train during our pre-cruise days) has a "twice as nice" package available for the Grande Denali Resort-- 2 nights for $209 total.

John, thanks for the insight into McKinley viewing. That's exactly the information that I was looking for.

Pam

Archived