Caribe Hilton or Embassy Suites

mamaday

We haven't stayed at the Embassy, only the Caribe Hilton, which we really liked, but I would suggest that if you're only staying for the night, and you can take advantage of the Manager's Reception and Cooked to Order Breakfast, then the Embassy Suites might be a better choice.

I think the Hilton's location puts it way ahead on my list if otherwise.

gary

Thanks for the info. Just had a hard time choosing between the two. The Hilton has mixed reviews on Trip advisor, but I've also read some great reviews on CC. My DH pointed out that the location of the Caribe is a plus. We are arriving around 8 pm pre-cruise and plan to spend the next day in Old San Juan before boarding the Galaxy. The Embassy Suites has better reviews on trip advisor, free nightly drinks and free breakfast. So, mainly because of location we choose the Caribe Hilton for Jan. 24, 2008. We have enought points for a free night so that's why we were looking at these two hotels. It's only one night, so not too big a deal. The cruise is the main vacation. :p

Thanks again,

T

Thanks for the info. Just had a hard time choosing between the two. The Hilton has mixed reviews on Trip advisor, but I've also read some great reviews on CC. My DH pointed out that the location of the Caribe is a plus. We are arriving around 8 pm pre-cruise and plan to spend the next day in Old San Juan before boarding the Galaxy. The Embassy Suites has better reviews on trip advisor, free nightly drinks and free breakfast. So, mainly because of location we choose the Caribe Hilton for Jan. 24, 2008. We have enought points for a free night so that's why we were looking at these two hotels. It's only one night, so not too big a deal. The cruise is the main vacation. :p

Thanks again,

T

I haven't stayed at Embassy but we've stayed at Caribe Hilton and LOVED it. If you stay on the Concierge Lounge floor, they have free food and drinks with a great array of food and drinks, lots of comfy chairs and sofas, floor to ceiling windows, free internet service, a balcony that you can sit on, and views of the ocean. It's worth the price of the upgrade. We used our points and we were given the upgrade free upon request at check-in.

Our room was very modern and included a balcony overlooking the gardens and the ocean. It was lovely and quiet!

They have a dock with an overlook where you can watch the fish. They feed them at night and light up the ocean. We even saw sharks!!!

Their beach area is great. Quiet, large, soft sand, palm trees, gentle water, play equipment, an outdoor eating grill, a swimup bar pool, a separate swimming pool with the kids, tropical gardens with a pond, swans, ducks, a gazebo. We enjoyed sitting in the large, open-air lobby watching the ocean. They have a great Starbucks which has local homemade pastries, and several very nice modern restaurants. The staff was first-rate, from check-in to bell-hop to concierge.

We're making a port stop in SJ next March and we're going to get a day-pass just to spend the day at the hotel. Loved it, loved it, loved it! Hope you do too!!!

Karen in Kentucky

Forgive me for jumping in on your thread but I too am making this exact decision!!!!

I have points to book either for a night. We are coming in to SJ on a red-eye and I don't think we'll be up to spending a lot of time in Old San Juan. I think it would be nice to just chill out on the beach the day before we embark.

Can anyone comment on the SJ Embassy Suites vs. the Caribe for beach use? What about the pools?

Forgive me for jumping in on your thread but I too am making this exact decision!!!!

I have points to book either for a night. We are coming in to SJ on a red-eye and I don't think we'll be up to spending a lot of time in Old San Juan. I think it would be nice to just chill out on the beach the day before we embark.

Can anyone comment on the SJ Embassy Suites vs. the Caribe for beach use? What about the pools?

The Caribe is beachfront vs. Embassy I think is across the street or a block from the beach.

I have stayed at both hotels. I recommend the Embassy Suites if you are coming in late and getting on the cruise ship the next morning. If you want to relax around the pool/beach and see Old San Juan then stay at the Caribe Hilton. The Embassy Suites has a nice pool area but it is two blocks to the beach whereas the Caribe Hilton is an oceanfront property with a private beach and pools right on the waterfront.

I'm looking for recommendations on restaurants close to the Caribe Hilton possibly within walking distance for dinner and breakfast. Also looking for a store to buy some water, diet coke and wine. Thanks. :o

There is a subway right across the street from the Hilton and a small diner. Other than that you will need to take a taxi or the bus if you want to eat off the property. There is a convenience store next door to the diner where you can get beer, sodas, snacks, alcohol, and mixers. We do not usually eat a huge breakfast so we would get a bagel with cream cheese ($1.75) from the Starbucks at the Hilton and make coffee or tea in our room. The Hilton has a nice grill where we had lunch by the pool and then we ate dinner out. There really isn't anything within walking distance but the bus stop is a block away and was easy to use. We went into Old San Juan one night and Condado the other. Enjoy your stay.

The beach might not be private since all beaches are public but to access the pool/beach you have to show your room key to the attendant at the doors leading outside.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't stayed at Embassy but we've stayed at Caribe Hilton and LOVED it. If you stay on the Concierge Lounge floor, they have free food and drinks with a great array of food and drinks, lots of comfy chairs and sofas, floor to ceiling windows, free internet service, a balcony that you can sit on, and views of the ocean. It's worth the price of the upgrade. We used our points and we were given the upgrade free upon request at check-in.

Karen in Kentucky

Thanks for the tip on the concierge floor. I was wondering about this, we are using husband's HH points and staying 2 nights pre cruise- DH gets free upgrades at the hotels he stays at in state, so I think we would be able to get and upgrade when we arrive in SJ.

Since we are staying 2 nights we chose Hilton over the Embassy because of the location, beach, etc. I am glad to hear you had a good experience!

You have to love those points!!:)

We were HHonors, but didn't qualify for concierge, and still had a great room and enjoyed our time there.

Just HHonors had a free wine/beer/warm appetizer service each evening. It was on the mezzanine level, above the lobby. They also had a morning fruits, juices, rolls, etc. service available.

We really enjoyed the Caribe, and plan to stay there again on our next visit.

gary

Archived