HELP! Child sick cruising Sunday

bhcruise

We are supposed to be leaving for Venice on Thurs. and will be boarding the Millenium on Sun. for a Med cruise. Today, my son got a 102 fever and started throwing up. Will this affect the cruise? I am not sure how long passengers have to be illness free in order to board the ship, or if we will be quarantined. Will a note from the doctor do anything? Unfortunately canceling the trip is not an option. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

First question is have you been to the doctor to check what it is? I know that it's probably a virus, but this close to a trip I would go anyway. Second would then be to ask the doctor what you can do to get through it fast.

Is it a stomach bug or does he have a bad cold with a lot of mucus?

I've brought my son to the doctor 4 times since last Monday because of pneumonia so I know a lot of stuff is going around.

Sharon-

We have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow morning. I believe it is a stomach virus since he does not have a runny nose or any other syptoms of a cold. However, he was able to eat tonight and not throw up so I am not sure.

Brooke

let's hope it is a 24 hour bug...they go around.....make sure he drinks lots of fluids...water, apple juice or maybe that pedialyte stuff.....just not citrus....and stick to jello, eggs, broth....etc.....

maybe the doc can give you a little medicine.....cross your fingers.....hope all gets better....just in case, don't let him eat anything wacky on the plane...let us know how it all works out.

I agree that a stomach bug is a good thing because it's usually short lived. if he starts vomiting again you may want to stick to the BRAT diet or Bananas, Rice, Apple Sauce, and Toast making sure it's white rice and white toast. And pedialyte or liquilyte or gatorade (if over 6).

Of course I don't want you to leave me with a sick ship so I'm sure I'm giving you pretty good advice. :)

lynnj73 does your son have asthma?

We are supposed to be leaving for Venice on Thurs. and will be boarding the Millenium on Sun. for a Med cruise. Today, my son got a 102 fever and started throwing up. Will this affect the cruise? I am not sure how long passengers have to be illness free in order to board the ship, or if we will be quarantined. Will a note from the doctor do anything? Unfortunately canceling the trip is not an option. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Most cruise lines will ask about the 3 days prior to your cruise.

It is nice of you to be concerned about boarding the ship but what about the passengers on the plane? What protection will they have from an ill child?

Hopefully the rest of you don't come down with the bug- that might be a problem.

For now, don't sweat it. Make sure that your child doesn't have strep throat or something serious. Otherwise, I am sure that he will be fit to travel on Sunday.

Children are not allowed to attend school in my area if they have had a fever of over 99 degrees in the past 24 hours. So, as long as your child has not been ill a couple days before the cruise it will be fine.

Also, I don't want to get flamed for this- just don't mention the virus at all. If you are all feeling fine- there really isn't any reason too. The cruise lines are really paranoid about norovirus- which I doubt is what your son has.

Also, I don't want to get flamed for this- just don't mention the virus at all. If you are all feeling fine- there really isn't any reason too. The cruise lines are really paranoid about norovirus- which I doubt is what your son has.

Actually, it sounds just like norovirus. Norovirus

It's been going around the past few months. I had it 2 months ago, people I know in 2 other states and one other country have had it too.

Talk to your M.D. about the appropriateness of traveling.

Thank you everyone for your responses. We saw the doctor today and he said it was just a virus which is I think what they always say. He did also say we will be fine to travel and to give my son some Motrin before we fly. So far he has been fine today so I think it was just a 24 hour thing. We will see if my daughter gets it. Thanks again.

Hi Sharon. My son does not have asthma so I am not sure what is going on with the wheezing. He is still wheezing after 4 doses of prednisone and coughing a lot. It is my daughter who gets asthma with colds. I am hoping that my son is not following suit. Scared to ask lol. My son's pulse ox was fine.

Healthy vibes to all! Lynn

Archived