Rolling Walker

Quendryth

I use a rolling walker called HUGO which can be folded for carrying. Has anyone ever used one to board an airplane? I know it won't fit in the overhead compartment & wondered how badly it would get damaged if I just check it as baggage? I have the original box it came in & have thought of tagging it & sending it along with our luggage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Q

Walkers do not fare well at all in the baggage compartment. So if you can pack it up in advance (and don't need it at the airprot -- don't know if you can get by with the airline wheelchair or not) then I suggest you not only box it up but also wrap it in bubble wrap. also pack some tape in the box so you can pack it up for your return trip. And make sure and tell the airline staff that it is medical equipment -- you won't be charge extra baggage for it.

Candy

My Mom has a Hugo rolling walker, and we took it on a cruise on the Star Princess, to Alaska, last fall. We had to change planes once in each direction, so we were on four different flights. We didn't have the box, didn't even think of it. We got a bungie cord to secure it when folded........especially since they don't fold totally flat. We ordered a wheelchair transport for her, from the airline, and checked her walker at the check in, had her met with the wheelchair, and she was pushed to the gate of the plane. We were met, between flights, with another wheelchair, and transported to the next gate. When we arrived in Seattle, the walker came out with the luggage, and it was in perfect shape. The wheelchair attendant pushed her to the Princess bus (we had Princess transfers), and her walker came along with the luggage. Princess (and other cruise lines) have wheelchairs, and "pushers" available to help passengers get on board. They took her to our cabin, and we waited there until the luggage and walker were delivered. This was all done without a hitch, and very easily. It worked the same on the way home.

I'm sure more experienced travelers are right about the more packing, the better, but I did want to let you know of our experience too.

Have a great cruise!

Agreed. If you have the box packit in there with bubble wrap. Make sure you contact the airline in advance and you will have a chair available for transport until you arrive. Make sure the airline knows it is medical equipment and there is no charge. When you board the ship send the box to your Room Attendent and he will return it the last day so that you can pack it up again.

I have a Nova rolling walker with a seat. I used to fly SWA on a weekly basis for a period of 18 months and always used it up until I boarded the plane. At that time, they took it to check with the luggage. When I arrived at my destination, they brought it right up to the plane door for me to use upon exciting. I never had any problems with how the walker was treated. I've never had any damage. When I've flown the larger airlines, such as American, they were able to store it on board in a closet.

• 4 weeks later...
Walkers do not fare well at all in the baggage compartment. So if you can pack it up in advance (and don't need it at the airprot -- don't know if you can get by with the airline wheelchair or not) then I suggest you not only box it up but also wrap it in bubble wrap. also pack some tape in the box so you can pack it up for your return trip. And make sure and tell the airline staff that it is medical equipment -- you won't be charge extra baggage for it.

Candy

but if you wrap it up they will surely require you to unwrap it for security to check.....

Yes, security may open it up, but usually they just open checked baggage that has suspicious items or items you cannot see through. suspicious items are much different for checked baggage than for carry ons. For example, dense items such as books will flag a hand check in checked baggage, but not in carry ons. They are looking for explosives in checked baggage. In checked baggage they also look for weapons or something that could be used as a weapon (nail files, box cutters.) . So if you were to take the walker through security as a carry on, yes it would most likely require a hand inspection and opening of the box. But not as likely if you checked it as baggage (and used the airport wheelchair) .

Candy

Archived