torn on what to do in st. thomas

cruisendude2001

i will be in st thomas on the NCL spirit on april 22,2008. and i am torn beteween using a tour service or going about it on my own were there for a long time 9am till 1am the nxt day i think. i know the oldest jewish synagogue under the us flag is there i would like to check that out my girlfriend wants to do some shopping and we want to hit the beach for some relaxing and snorkeling. where is the best beach for snorkeling that we can also relax at? is there equiptment rentable or do we need to bring our own? and what happens when we both want to use the beach or the water at the same time how do we know out stuff will be safe alone on the beach? does any beach rent lockers????? any shops we MUST see . sorry for the really long post

The Synagogue is downtown, there is shopping there too. If you do one of the taxi tours that offers shopping/beach/tour you can visit the Synagogue and shop during the shopping segment. Note that the hike to the Synagogue from Main Street is uphill.

Beaches with good from shore snorkeling: Coki, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, Cowpet. All have rentals; Coki at the beach vendors, Secret Harbor at the dive shop and Sapphire and Cowpet at the watersports booth.

At Coki there is one vendor with lockers. There are some others with big tupperware boxes that you put your stuff in and they will watch your stuff. Both involve a fee. At Sapphire if you are renting gear from the watersports booth you can ask the guys if you could put your stuff inside their booth while you are both snorkeling. Secret Harbor and Cowpet don't have lockers.

--Islander

Hi Islander! Thanks for your help back in May! On his wonderful advice...........

We went to St. Thomas in May and went on a tour with Godfrey! We had a great time with him. We did the 2 hour tour, 2 hour shopping and 2 hour beach. We went to Coki Beach and to Coral World there. We did snorkel there and there were really pretty fish. Friends of ours that we met onboard did the tour the same time we did but they went to Sapphire Beach. They said it was really pretty there also. As far as the equipment-we brought our own snorkle stuff. I didn't want to put my mouth on something someone else had their mouth on. Just my opinion, alot of people do just rent them though. As far as our stuff, we looked around and found two ladies that looked trustworthy. I know you never know, but our experience turned out good. They watched our stuff and we had fun with no worries.

Have a great time!

Cindy

Archived