OK, that's it, I am going crazy...

Fyly

either that or I will leave without DH.

Monday: all set. We will go on a 5 day cruise leaving on dec 16 on the NCL Jewel. I did all the homework including cost of excursions. I even posted on the NCL board...

DH' reaction (the one who wanted no more than 5 days) "Not enough stops".

I look for a 7 days. Our goal was to go to at least Mexico see some ruins

We find the NCL Sun and spirit also going to Guatemala. I am not 100% crazy about the ship choices but could do with it. Except that I explain to DH that it goes to Guatemala, and then, he is not too crazy about being on a cruise ship where people are so poor. need an other plan!

Now, I am looking at either both leaving dec 16 celebrity Millenium or HAL Westerdam (I like the tub!). No more pyramids...

else, we go back to the 5 day plan and that's it.

I wanted to go on a cruise because most of my job is organizing trips for other people, and I wanted to have the luxury of someone doing that for me. I also wanted to make a concerted decision with my DH.

So... what would you do?

5 days on jewel COz/GCayman

Celebrity Millenium Eastern Car

HAL Westerdam Eastern Car

I am also curious about the international demographic on HAL... if any.

Thanks as alaways,

Fyly

I would really like to help you but honestly not sure of the best advice?

"Except that I explain to DH that it goes to Guatemala, and then, he is not too crazy about being on a cruise ship where people are so poor. need an other plan!:

Does this statement mean you think that there will be people ON the ship that are from Guatemala? Or, you don't want to stop somewhere like that? If the first, you will not find people from Guatemala on the cruise ship.

"I am also curious about the international demographic on HAL... if any."

The age of the HAL cruiser is usually a little older than other lines. I doubt you would find much of an "international" demographic on a 7 day Caribbean cruise, too short.

Since you asked.....I wouldn't go on a 5 day cruise, period! It's just too short a time. There are a zillion reasons I could list but that's the main one.

We have sailed Celebrity a number of times, great service, good food, and a nice ship. Now, it is a traditional cruise line. It's NOT a cattle call like the NCL commercials would like new cruisers to believe but it is structured for dining times, usually 6 and 8:30.

If you would like a more relaxed, "eat when you want" type of cruise, NCL.

hope you do have a good time.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

concerning Guatemala:

dh would feel bad going on excursion there but doesn't want to stay on the ship either. It wouldn't feel right. It's weird, may not right by many standards but it is is position and I respect it.

I didn't see any NCL cruise/price combination that i liked for a DEC 16 departure (we want before xmas but after the 15)

Fyly

You know, I am gonna go out on a limb here, but it sounds to me like your DH is just not much interested in a cruise. No matter what you come up with he has an excuse: "Too long, too short, too poor, too whatever"

If you have your heart set on a cruise, ask him to list the things he wants or doesn't want and put them in a priority order. Or even give him a list of options (countries, days, # stops, beach, culture, demographics, price, cabin type, etc etc.) and ask him to put them in order.

1. If you get the list back, do your best to meet the most 'wants' balanced with the least 'don't wants'.

2. If you don't get the list back, he is not interested in a cruise. Go find a sister or a girlfriend and go without him.

Great advice cherylandtk! My husband suprised me with our cruise by saying lets take a cruise...you plan. I had to print several different cruise line information for him to look over. That took several days but I did get him to choose one. Then onto the next step, how long a cruise. Again I printed out several options and again he took about a week and made a decision. I decided if at any time I did not get his decision back I would know he was not truly interested in taking this cruise. The baby steps continued from there. We finally picked a cruise line, the length, the itinerary and then it was on to excursions. The whole process took about a month but in the end we both are very happy and really looking forward to this trip. He is not the kind of person to do research or get completely "Giddy" out a trip like I am so this works out very well for us. Good Luck

2. If you don't get the list back, he is not interested in a cruise. Go find a sister or a girlfriend and go without him.

Or go by yourself. There's nothing wrong with going solo and you can go when and where you want!!

I recommend Liberty of the Seas, but that's a 7 day...and I'm only recommending it because I went in Sept. and had an amazing time :)

Hello,

I vote for the Millenium, as Celebrity is a very fine cruise line and this is a very nice ship.

I also agree with the other respondents who advised you, that your DH most likely doesn't want to go on a cruise.

If he doesn't want to go, respect his wishes and don't nag him. Find a friend or relative who wants to go with you, and you will have a great time.

Please remember that traveling, and especially by cruise ship, is not for everyone and your Dh might be in this category.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Heres my advice.

Pick the cruise that goes to the ruins your DH is so interested about. Spend the money, go to the place. If he feels its a 'cheep' country, you guys stay on the ship the whole day.

Sum of the answer: he goes where he wants, and you rack up one hell of a good time at the spa while he's gone off and complained that he thought there would be more to the ruins than pebbles and some signs!

Enjoy your tub!!!!

:p

I know if I did this to my wife, she'd tell me to go to h*** and get a friend to go along (even though I'm the one that makes the plans).

If he is concerned about being a "rich American", he'll see poverty in about every port. So that's a moot issue. As to not enough stops, I enjoy sea days almost as much as port days. It gives me a chance to drink beer, lay by the pool and relax in general. As to length, I'm working my way up in days every year as my first on was three days just to find out if I liked cruises. My vote is always the longest.

It appears no matter what, he'll complain. If he doesn't want to go grab a friend and have fun. I know if I didn't want to go and my wife did, I would certainly give her that option.

Thanks Chuck,

concerning Guatemala:

dh would feel bad going on excursion there but doesn't want to stay on the ship either. It wouldn't feel right. It's weird, may not right by many standards but it is is position and I respect it.

I didn't see any NCL cruise/price combination that i liked for a DEC 16 departure (we want before xmas but after the 15)

Fyly

One of the best things that you can do to help these people is to drop your hard earned vacation money in their homeland. Some of these places get 90% of their income from tourist. If you really want to help them, spend your money with them.

Not only does this help their economy, but you also have the opportunity to see what it would be like to live somewhere besides the USA. It gives you a whole new outlook.

well, I have booked!

I am the one who wanted the ruins.

Turns out that we will go on HAL westerdam on the eastern caribean. It will be a very relaxing vacation that we well deserve.

I am extatic and I warned my co-workers that they can shut me up if i babble too much about it.

We leave in a month :-)

thanks for the feedback.

Fyly

just as a FYI, i am French but live in Pittsburgh ;-)

well, I have booked!

I am the one who wanted the ruins.

Turns out that we will go on HAL westerdam on the eastern caribean. It will be a very relaxing vacation that we well deserve.

I am extatic and I warned my co-workers that they can shut me up if i babble too much about it.

We leave in a month :-)

thanks for the feedback.

Fyly

just as a FYI, i am French but live in Pittsburgh ;-)

Have a great trip and don't worry about DH. If he can't have a good time on a cruise there isn't much hope for the future.;)

One of the best things that you can do to help these people is to drop your hard earned vacation money in their homeland. Some of these places get 90% of their income from tourist. If you really want to help them, spend your money with them.

Not only does this help their economy, but you also have the opportunity to see what it would be like to live somewhere besides the USA. It gives you a whole new outlook.

How true! I like your attitude!:)

For the OP--Book a 7 day cruise of your choice. Let DH decide if he wants to join you or stay at home and watch TV. I'll bet he comes along!

Archived