Luggage Rome to Port on train

Does all luggage have to be checked on train? Should have 2 medium size suitcases and 1 carry on size, not concerned about "dragging" to and from train, just on procedure. Are there compartment or more like Amtrak? As you can tell 1st time going to Europe. Thanks

The luggage is not checked in. You just board the train and take your luggage with you. It's more like dragging the luggage up and down a few steep steps.

Some trains have a small storage compartment behind your seat. Most have overhead racks - probably too small for medium luggage. Most larger size luggage is stored at either end of the train car in an open storage area. The space is limited and it is first-come first-serve.

I always get nervous about storing luggage in this area because it is right next to the door and unsupervised. I occassionally get up from my seat to check it out. I also use a cable lock to chain my luggage either to themselves or to the rack itself to discourage people from wandering off with it. Not meant to scare you (I've never heard of people stealing luggage out of the racks) but you'll feel more comfortable if the luggage is secured.

Train travel is terrific in Europe, hope you have a wonderful ride.

I always get nervous about storing luggage in this area because it is right next to the door and unsupervised. I occassionally get up from my seat to check it out. I also use a cable lock to chain my luggage either to themselves or to the rack itself to discourage people from wandering off with it. Not meant to scare you (I've never heard of people stealing luggage out of the racks) but you'll feel more comfortable if the luggage is secured.

I'm the same, I try and sit somewhere where I can keep an eye on the luggage.

All-

Last year, my husband and I took the train from Venice to Rome terminal. We were in the process of switching tracks to catch the train to the airport. A "porter" asked us if we needed help with our bags. Since we were travelling w/ my 80 year old Dad and his 77 year old sister we said yes. That was the biggest mistake we made. When we got to the track where the train was going to depart for the airport, the man made some mention of "pickpockets" to my Dad who was standing outside the railcar. I was handing our luggage up to my husband who was stacking it inside the railcar. This was all a diversion. When my husband grabbed one of the pieces of luggage from me and turned to put it near our seats he noticed his camera bag and carry on was gone. So all 3000+ photos of our 3 week trip including the photos of my Dad's 80th birthday were gone, along with the valuables that we had packed in the carryon bag that we were going to take on the plane with us. By the time we realized the bags were gone, the "porter" was gone too! My husband and Dad jumped off the train and ran in the direction of the terminal- unfortunatly the thief was long gone! He was obviously working with a partner who came on the train and stole our stuff while he distracted us when we were on the platform telling us to beware of pickpockets!! We had been extremely careful with our luggage and money belts for the 3 week trip. But on the last night, we let our guard down and trusted this old man who posed as a porter. I can't stress enough that you should never leave anything unattended- even for a second. Have someone in your group stay with your bags if you have to use the rest room, ask for directions, change your money- whatever. This is my advice in all of Italy. Please don't let this terrible situation repeat itself. The other thing I would advise is if you have a digital camera and have taken lots of photos, before you depart the ship, go to the computer lounge on the ship and burn all the photos onto CD's. Then put those CD's in a separate place other than in your camera bag. That way in case something does happen to your camera or camera bag you will have the photos already downloaded. I wish we had done that. I would pay anything to get those photos back. Also make a list of everything in your suitcases. Take that list with you on the trip and put it in your money belt. When we had to make the police report, they asked us for the contents of the bags. We were so stressed out and upset that I'm sure we forgot a few items. Either way- nothing was ever recovered. We had our list of items at home so when we filled out the insurance report we were able to accurately account for everything.

Gosh I hope I haven't scared you to death- but it stinks when something like this happens. You want to warn everyone so hopefully it doesn't happen to them.

Take care

Sheila

our story was a little less frightening.. we were helped by "porters" to put the 8 pieces luggage (yes 8, - 4 adults) but found out the porters were gypies looking for a big tip! they wouldn't let go of the luggage until we gave them what we felt was a fair amount and my brother-in-law got menacing with them.

As for camera and digital pictures ---here is a TIP-

take along several digital chips and change them every few days... put the used/partially used chips away not near the camera. If you lose the camera or case you only lose a day or two of shots, not the whole vacation. With the cost of storage chips so low its a great form of insurance....

Archived