Attire for first night....

gamommyof3

Do the men have to wear long pants in the dining room on the first night? I've heard that the luggage may not get to the room before dinner and I didn't know if I need to pack nice outfits to carry on? We'll be boarding wearing shorts and t-shirts......nothing sloppy, just casual.

Thanks!

K

they make allowances for not having your luggage, and while short are a no-no for dinner in the dining room the first night they really don't care. I actually got my hubby the zip off pants so while boarding and daytime he has shorts, but for dinner he puts the legs back on and he is set with long pants. He brings a clean polo shirt in his carry on.

I believe even the first night they ask that no shorts, sandals or hats be worn in the dining room...we have always had our luggage in plenty of time for dinner on the first night, so unless there is some extreme circumstance I dont think you need to worry

The only thing listed above RCI asks you not to where in the dining rooom for dinner is shorts. Having said that, you will see many people the first night wearing them.

Thanks for the input guys! Cool idea with the zip-off pants..... I'll just some extra clothes in the carry-on. We don't want to break the rules! :-)

We leave Saturday! Can't wait!

This board has been the best! A true lifesaver!

Kathy

No sandals??...Huh?? :eek: Does that apply to "warm" area cruises too??...What are we suppose to wear, snow boots??

No sandals is not correct!!!!! Perhaps someone was expressing their own personal "don'ts" when making the list.

Perhaps someone was expressing their own personal "don'ts" when making the list.

Surely that would never happen on this board.:rolleyes: People with their own personal views of what others should wear, never.:eek:

they mean those rubber flip-flops you get for a dollar or two for wearing around the pool and at the beach, not a nice pair of sandals.

As far as the first evening goes, most people will have their luggage on time, esp at the late seating, so they should not be wearing shorts. However, if you don't have your luggage yet and have to go to dinner in shorts, then it's acceptable.

The posters above who are talking about sandals.

While I've seen lovely embellished flip-flops, and strappy leather-like ones, I've never seen those cheap colorful rubber ones that are meant for poolside and the beach. Not even on cruises where the dress-code was totally ignored by some (Carnival)

Who's the they you are referring to?

The dreaded dress code police.:eek: Those people who have been endowed with the divine gift of being able to interpret what RCI really intends the suggested dress code to be, whereas us mere mortals just read it as stated.;)

The dreaded dress code police.:eek: Those people who have been endowed with the divine gift of being able to interpret what RCI really intends the suggested dress code to be, whereas us mere mortals just read it as stated.;)

As well as other posters.:D

Do the men have to wear long pants in the dining room on the first night? I've heard that the luggage may not get to the room before dinner and I didn't know if I need to pack nice outfits to carry on? We'll be boarding wearing shorts and t-shirts......nothing sloppy, just casual.

Thanks!

K

I think they stick to the rule that only long pants are allowed -- considering the fact that luggage usually reaches your room in time to change from shorts, and that there is an option to eat in the Windjammer, where the dress code is more casual.:rolleyes:

I think they stick to the rule that only long pants are allowed -- considering the fact that luggage usually reaches your room in time to change from shorts, and that there is an option to eat in the Windjammer, where the dress code is more casual.:rolleyes:

They don't, many people wear shorts the first night.

Our luggage does not always arrive before our Early Dinner. We usually go the day before so can dress a little nicer than what we wear on the plane. I have seen people in shorts before. Most people understand that not everyone will get their luggage before dinner.

Gail

Thanks!

K

First day you can show up in your boarding cloths even if it includes shorts. Most people get their luggage after dinner time. I believe they say up until midnite or something like that, is the time frame of luggage delivery.

So first night your hubby has nothing to worry about.

They don't, many people wear shorts the first night.

When I embark, I usually have a carry-on with a two-day change of clothes -- I also have at least one pair of long pants.

At the same time, the day of embarkation is not a restful day, whether you are flying or driving (by yourself or a taxi) to the ship. Even after the embarkation procedures are completed and you are on the ship, there are bon voyage parties or just the sights to see as the ship leaves port. So many activities like these are encouraged by our Cruise Director and his staff. Now, the latest wrinkle I see is how one cannot go past a bar without seeing advertisements for soda and wine packages. And of course, there is the Lifeboat Drill, mandatory -- and rightly so -- for all passengers.

If my luggage is delivered to my room after I return to the cabin after all the "festivities", perhaps I just want to do a little unpacking and perhaps catch my breath. I don't want to worry about dressing the first night, although I cannot see how putting on a pair of long pants is so stressful

-- I think you are more stressed if your luggage hasn't arrived.:)

I will never understand why wearing a pair of khakis instead of shorts is such a big deal.

We always board in acceptable dining room clothes, and it doesn't matter that the luggage may arrive late. After all, the dress code is casual that night.

Ginnie

The posters above who are talking about sandals.

While I've seen lovely embellished flip-flops, and strappy leather-like ones, I've never seen those cheap colorful rubber ones that are meant for poolside and the beach. Not even on cruises where the dress-code was totally ignored by some (Carnival)

Flip,flops are flip flops. So what is acceptable and who decides? Hopefully not you. I mean, really if YOU think they are cheap and colourful they are not acceptable but if YOU think they are lovely embellished and strappy leather like they are acceptable? Who is going to make that call?

Flip,flops are flip flops. So what is acceptable and who decides? Hopefully not you. I mean, really if YOU think they are cheap and colourful they are not acceptable but if YOU think they are lovely embellished and strappy leather like they are acceptable? Who is going to make that call?

This is similar to so many car kits that allow you to build a sleek car over an engine made for a much slower car. Your car looks like it is ready to race in the Grand Prix, but goes as fast as the car for which the engine belongs.

The bottom line:flip-flops are flip-flops, whatever way they are decorated.

Archived