what not to miss on a cruise?

Fyly

[quote name='Seavoyage']Retired Mustang - probably a stupid question (sorry) -
Since we are taught not to look directly into the sun...do you know if this green flash can cause eye damage?
Thank you for your response - I really want to see this![/quote]

Seavoyage,

Sorry for the late response -- I have been busy and not checking CC for a few days. Yes, you must be careful when watching for the green flash (that's why I said to [I]carefully[/I] watch the sun as it sets.) Do not stare at the sun for the whole time! Glance now and then to check how far it has set, and only when it has only a sliver above the horizon should you watch closely!

By that time, the amount of the sun's disk visible is small, and you should be able to watch it safely from that point. A quick rough rule of thumb -- if you look at the sun and close your eyes and still see a big bright spot, it's too soon to watch it full time. It is a wonder, but not worth ruining your eyesight for, so please do be careful.

Dave

[quote name='RetiredMustang']Seavoyage,

Sorry for the late response -- I have been busy and not checking CC for a few days. Yes, you must be careful when watching for the green flash (that's why I said to [I]carefully[/I] watch the sun as it sets.) Do not stare at the sun for the whole time! Glance now and then to check how far it has set, and only when it has only a sliver above the horizon should you watch closely!

By that time, the amount of the sun's disk visible is small, and you should be able to watch it safely from that point. A quick rough rule of thumb -- if you look at the sun and close your eyes and still see a big bright spot, it's too soon to watch it full time. It is a wonder, but not worth ruining your eyesight for, so please do be careful.

Dave[/quote]

In addition: on higher latitudes the 'flash' will last longer, as the sun sets slower. Downside: on higher latitudes there is often less chance of a clear horizon.
I've seen a 2,5 second flash in Alaska this summer. Saw one last week too (closer to the equator), this one lasted maybe 0,5 seconds.

Hi Retired Mustang:
Thank you - This flash sounds amazing - I hope to view this amzaing site this coming week! We are so excited - and I cannot wait to experience this! I'll report back...Happy and safe Thanksgiving wishes to you and everyone!

If the W's gym is like the O's gym, it was fantastic.................large, across the front...................watched the porpoises "racing" us for a long while when on the treadmill..............open, sunny, glorious.:)

I didn't know about the green flash. I hope in Jan. while cruising, I will get to see it.

Relax in a deck chair on the Promenade deck near the bow. Close your eyes. You can feel the sea breeze and hear the waves hitting the bow.

Another vote for cold soups, bread pudding, ice cream, fresh-squeezed OJ, and being on deck at night and no one else is there. Awesome!!

Archived