Can I take 4 year old to the Sting Ray & Snorkeling Excursion?

mom60

I am planning my first cruise and I am taking my 4 year old girl. The cruise I planning is stopping at the Grand Cayman and Ochiro Rio. I hear that I must do Sting Ray and Snorkeling exursion at Grand Cayman Island and I would like to do the Dunhill Rive at Ochiro Rio. Can I take my 4 year old?

Does anyone know?

Thanks

My DS and DDIL just returned from FOS cruise. They had booked the sting ray snorkel but my DDIL was afraid to go in the water.

She is only 4' 8" and the water was too deep.

I think there is a tour with sting rays on a sandbar, without the snorkel, but I am not sure.

Pat

It is up to you. The water at Sting Ray City is about 3-4 feet deep. I am 5'4" and on my knees the water was up to my neck. The waves are constant, so if she is not a swimmer, ask for a life jacket (may want one anyway).

It is an amazing experience - don't forget an underwater camera!! We have some wonderful pictures!!:D

I took my 4 yr old son on a private excursion in Feb. We stopped at Sting Ray City and two different snorkeling stops. He loved it. I did bring his life jacket with us on the trip. We booked through Captain Marvin's in Grand Cayman. They were wonderful and book use them again, hands down. Hope you have fun

If you book through the cruise line they may have age restrictions

• 2 weeks later...

Stingray City is doable with that age, I would think, as long as she's not terrified of the water. Be sure and have life vest for her, just to feel more safe.

I wouldn't do Dunn's River Falls with a 4-year-old. Unless you want to walk on the boardwalk along the side of the river. When we went my husband and I stayed on the boardwalk to be with any of the nieces/nephews who wanted to opt out of the falls climb, and several of them did - they were about 6-12 years old or so. It's not an easy climb - somewhat slippery, you have to hold hands with those in front of/behind you, you get very wet, etc. If I had a 4-year-old, I think I'd just walk over to the "mall" next door to the pier [about a five-minute walk - you WILL be approached by people trying to sell you stuff; just say "No, thank you" and keep walking]. There's a Margaritaville there that has a small pool as well as beach access that doesn't allow locals, and there are also little shops there, along with entertainers [steel band, etc].

We took kids 3, 4,5 & 5 on Capt. Marvin's tour three years ago. It was a little cool and choppy, so they only stayed in the water for a few minutes, and only one would pet the stingrays--and she did it in her dad's arms. The water might be a little too deep for a 4yr.old, although with a life jacket that wouldn't matter. I think if they day had been nicer and the water smoother they probably would have stayed in. The guides were very helpful with the kids.

However, the kids LOVED the tour--the boat ride, seeing us snorkel, watching people with the stingrays and the free punch! If you take your daughter snorkeling, just be prepared that she may not want to do it or stay in the water long. It also would help to practice at home first. We brought our own life jackets, but tours will have them available. Just be prepared to be flexible, depending on her mood and comfort level.

We took them all to Dunn's River too, but they played at the beach near the falls while their parents climbed. We grandparents (we'd climbed the falls a couple of years before) stayed with them. They had a great time playing in the sand and water.

With just one child I think it would possible to climb the falls, with the adults to help and probably the guide would help too, but I'm not sure you'd enjoy it as much. I probably wouldn't take her, just because the rocks are slippery and steep in places and we saw adults with pretty bad scrapes and bruises afterwards.

If you daughter is the very agile fearless type, she might do just fine, but it's really not that easy of a climb.

Archived