Babysitting aboard RCCI

Yellowlily

Anyone have experience with this?? I have a 2 yo. Did this last year, but can't remember the times.

I thought we did every evening, but only for a few hours. Does anyone know how long the hours are or is it all based on availability?? And is it still $8 an hour?

Thanks!!

YellowLily, just in case the search function is being difficult (which it always seems to be for me!), I thought I'd pass along some info.

We were on Liberty in September and basically it seemed like it was just based on whether they could get a staff member to volunteer. We went down to guest relations, gave them the times we wanted and they would call us back as soon as they could to confirm.

It is still $8/hr - at least it was in September.

Do you pay the charges in cash to the babysitter? Or can they charge this through your ship account? Just trying to plan how much $$$ we will need to bring along! :) Thanks!

You have to pay in cash at the time of service. We just paid the girl in cash at the end of the night when we came back to the cabin. I recently did some research and I did find out that babysitting is available from 8 a.m. till 2 a.m., based on availability. Last year, as soon as we got on the ship, I went to the pursor's desk to request babysitting for the whole week. Our babysitter did a fantastic job. I was happy to have her babysitting. There were hardly any kids on that cruise (8 day Carib on the Jewel) last winter. From experience, I would book babysitting, specialty restaurants and fix dining arrangements (if necessary) as soon as you get on the ship. That way, you don't have to worry later and you can enjoy your cruise! Have a great vacation!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that RCCL has in-cabin babysitting, which is a wonderful option for Mom & Dad to have their own little time but I can't seem to get over leaving my 3.5 y.o. daughter with some stranger all alone in our cabin.

To those of you that have used this service, does your kids warm up to their babysitter quickly? Can you use the same person for your whole cruise or would it be someone different everytime because it is "by availability" only? Any bad expereinces with using this service?

A lot depends on the age of your child. Many times, especially if you book late dinner and your child is younger, they are asleep by the time the sitter comes to the cabin. And yes, you're not promised the same person every night, as it is by availability. You could have a different person every time you book a sitter. The only time I heard of a problem was with a friend who has an autistic child. He didn't do well with the sitter at all, and they had to stop using them after a bad couple of nights. If your child is comfortable with strangers, then she should be fine. If your child is like my cousin's daughter, who screams at the sight of strangers, then the sitting might not work.

I understand that RCCL has in-cabin babysitting, which is a wonderful option for Mom & Dad to have their own little time but I can't seem to get over leaving my 3.5 y.o. daughter with some stranger all alone in our cabin.

To those of you that have used this service, does your kids warm up to their babysitter quickly? Can you use the same person for your whole cruise or would it be someone different everytime because it is "by availability" only? Any bad expereinces with using this service?

I think that is a natural hesitation. You do have to rely on RCCL's screening process. If you trust the job that RCCL has done, then you trust the sitter.

I am glad to see that they offer this. We have some friends that I will directing to RCCL as opposed to Carnival because of this service...and the no smoking in the cabins past January 1st. (which is why I am lurking on these threads...to help them make their plans) Well, if I am posting...guess I am no longer lurking...:)

If babysitters weren't good- you would see a thread saying "Don't Use Cruise line A's babysitting service!"

Get over it- how do you know anyone you leave your child with won't drop them or do something stupid? You don't. YOu have to let go and have a certain amount of trust. The cruise line doesn't want the liability- they do have people onboard that they trust to watch children.

I did use the babysitting on Celebrity (RCL's parent company) and the two women that watched my son couldn't have been nicer. The one was a girl from the front desk- who took my then 14 month old all over the ship to play and showed him off to all of her crew friends. He had a ball! The other girl came was a cabin steward and she was gentle and kind. I came back periodically to check on him and he was happy as a clam- although not asleep at 11PM!

FYI - just got off the Enchantment OS (didn't have the best cruise), BUT we did have a FABULOUS babysitter!! She came and watched our DD every night. She was great!! It was as RCI states, $8 an hour. We paid her well over that though. Nowhere do I feel like they are getting rid of that service. Maybe just a Freedom class issue right now?? So far, so good elsewhere.

Archived