Not overly impressed with Carnival's reservation office

DDofcruisemaniac

So I had booked last week on the Carnival Glory, 12/29 sailing, with air. Now, the air portion was considered "on request", so basically Carnival had about 48 hours to find me a flight.

Since I had not heard from them, I called them on Sat night. They said to call back on Monday (today), since they didn't have any additional info.

I called this morning, to find out they "had left me a voicemail" on Friday (no!) saying they had not found any flights.

Remember, I called them on Saturday!

I asked them how long I had to find myself a flight. They come back saying that my deadline is today, since "they had left a vm on Friday". Again, I told them I had never received such a vm (turns out they had the wrong #..wrong area code and everything). She then tells me I have til 7 pm today.

I frantically start to look for reasonable flights, to realise this was not gonna happen.

I then remember I had seen the same package, with guaranteed flight, on travelocity. I check again, and see it's still available.

I call Carnival to cancel everything. They tell me I will get a refund within 10 days. I ask if it's a full refund (just to make sure). I am put on hold. The lady comes back saying it's not a full refund and that they are keeping $50 because I was cancelling.........HELLO, I am cancelling because I do not have a flight!...so she puts me on hold again....then comes back saying I will in fact get a full refund.

I then go back to Travelocity and book the same cruise, with air, on the same deck, 2 cabins away from my original booking, for the exact same price.

Silly!

So, if you're booking late, there's a difference between the air supplement than if you book early? If you book early, you don't find out about your air until fairly late, anyway, right? But that web travel site can book the air supplement when Carnival can't? That sounds strange.

When I finally made a decision on which cruise to do (researched for about 3 months, narrowed it down in late June), I called Carnival directly. My friend had booked our December, 2006, cruise and I didn't have the PVP's name anywhere. So, I just called the 800 number.

Asked the woman if there were any past guest discounts and was told no. Now, I've always gotten SOME discount as a past guest, but she told me there was nothing for that sailing. OK, thanks.

I hung up and called a hotel-affiliated website (I used them for my May, 2006 Fantasy cruise). I was told there certainly WAS a past-guest discount and an upgrade available. Now, I normally book cheapo inside cabins (I love the darkness at night), but he said he could give me an extended balcony (8G) on Veranda deck (between 2 cabin decks) for the price of the cheapest balcony offered.

Ended up with an extended balcony for about $120 TOTAL more than inside the Carnival rep was going to give me.

The young man also convinced me to book cruise air but find my own, since he was seeing air for much less than the $329 pp Carnival wanted.

I keep looking, and a week before final payment date, booked nonstop Delta for $209 pp. Booked one night hotel pre-cruise in Ft Lauderdale for $85+ tax.

Oh, and I get 6,000 points toward a free hotel stay (I'll have enough for 2 nights after I sail).

It does pay to shop around. I know lots of people have great relationships with their PVP. I was just very disappointed in the woman at Carnival with whom I spoke.

Interesting story!!!

I don't understand how Carnival could not locate flights......when that travelwebsite probably uses Carnival one way or another? no? If the cruiseline does not offer air, they usually don't offer it on travelocity (which was the case when I was looking around for a cruise, and checking out prices for other cruiselines, like RCCL for example).

I am now paying 499$ US for a Montreal to Orlando flight....which is a good price considering this flight is happening during the holidays....And when I tried to find my own either the price was ridiculous, or the schedule was off.

Strange!?

Archived