Thanksgiving Cruises

northof69

Looking to set up our 4th cruise next November with a group of friends. We have a two-week window of opportunity where everyone's schedules work out. One of the possible weeks would be during Thanksgiving. What are crowds like on a "Thanksgiving" cruise? What have people's experiences been?

Had friends go to Disney World during Thanksgiving last year and said they'd never make that mistake again (unbearable crowds - couldn't move) and are worried about having the same experience on a cruise.

So, simply...looking for opinions. Avoid it, or doesn't make a difference. (We'll be doing one of the Western routes..looking at the 6 night on the Independence).

Thanks in advance for your input.

I can only speak for Carnival, but Beth is correct about lots of familiies.

For some reason, Thanksgiving week rivals any summer week (sometimes more) where the number of children are concerned.

You did not mention if your group of friends included kids. If not, I would look at a less mass market line because even the 7 day cruises are going to be full of families.

My very first cruise was during Thanksgiving on the Fascination.....we had a great time. Yes there were a lot of kids but it didn't bother us at all..and yes there were a lot of people...and that didn't bother us either.

This was when the Fascination did a 7 day from San Juan, and the ports were all great. St Thomas, St Marteen, Barbados, Martinque, Dominica. I would do another cruise during Thanksgiving again...

These days if you take a mass market cruise, you are going to experience almost exactly the same thing you would find at Disneyland.

If you cruise at American Thanksgiving,you will see the same crowds you would encounter at Disneyland at American Thanksgiving.

Do you have to go over T.G.?

We had a fantastic 14 day cruise on HAL's VEENDAM in 2005 and they have had the same offering since.

We flew the day after TG (NO crowds on THAT day, everyone's shopping;) ) and cruised the Caribbean. It was a great itinerary and we got lots of swimming in..............our preferred thing to do when in port.........love that warm water.

It was a Saturday ~ Saturday, 14 days.............think we disembarked Dec. 10 and then the dreaded flight back across the country to Oregon.

At times like that, living in Florida would be nice.

LHP - Travelling without kids.

neverpar - I'm of the same state of mind....any cruise day is a good cruise day, regardless of crowds....but, I can't speak for the other 12 people in our group.

Thanks for the input everyone....will share it with others in our group.

These days if you take a mass market cruise, you are going to experience almost exactly the same thing you would find at Disneyland.

If you cruise at American Thanksgiving,you will see the same crowds you would encounter at Disneyland at American Thanksgiving.

Marj and I took a four day Celebrity cruise over the Thanksgiving weekend a couple of years ago and did not encounter an inordinate amount of children.

Since you are not cruising with kids and may want a less "family crowded" atmosphere...I would suggest you really do your research since you are traveling during a very heavy "family travel time".

LHP - Travelling without kids.

neverpar - I'm of the same state of mind....any cruise day is a good cruise day, regardless of crowds....but, I can't speak for the other 12 people in our group.

Thanks for the input everyone....will share it with others in our group.

I understand.....there were 20 of us that went and we all enjoyed the cruise...I might add we ranged in age from 35 years old to early 60's...

My very first cruise was during Thanksgiving on the Fascination.....we had a great time. Yes there were a lot of kids but it didn't bother us at all..and yes there were a lot of people...and that didn't bother us either.

This was when the Fascination did a 7 day from San Juan, and the ports were all great. St Thomas, St Marteen, Barbados, Martinque, Dominica. I would do another cruise during Thanksgiving again...

I did that cruise on Fascination in september 2000. We were on Sovereign of the Seas Thanksgiving 99, and I did not find too many people on the cruise and that was a 4 day "cheapie" cruise.

Archived