Questions Answered for all NCL Dawn Cruisers!

Cruisin'BusyBee

Hi to all that are planning their trip - You will all have a wonderful time!

btorlv: At Tortola, we had a tour of the island prior to going to Cayo Beach. I felt we had ample time there (well, do you really have enough time on a beach! ha ha). Anyway, if you are adventurous, you may be able to take a cab directly to beach. Just watch your time, as ship really does NOT wait for late comers. At Samana, you take a tender to the island - not much there (people who did other tours were sorely disappointed). At least we had a beach, entertainment, trinkets to buy, and drinks! Beach not as nice as those in Caribbean Sea, remember it is still in the Atlantic; but ok time there. The St. John Ferry was a bit rough, but not overly bad - get a seat in the middle of top, as being inside makes for more discomfort, really!

Sandy: Yes, volley ball, snorkel, float/boats, dancing by natives, entertainment from monkey/seals. Yes, do take cash, I did not see ANY vendor taking credit cards - remember, I said it was very underdeveloped?! Reservations are really no problem to get if you can do it early; also, check in evening, as some people cancel & you could get reservation right away. By all means: Go ahead with Cagneys; our daughter and her friends went and they really liked it (big hunk of steak is not my choice). At Stirrup: there are the usual beach activities w/volleyball, water sports, snorkel, and even some hiking if you want (some roads are still being put in, but no problem w/walking around at all).

Imabelvr: If you have never been to St. Tom, you have to do it (buy, buy, buy); but if you have seen it, really do consider St. John for the most beautiful beach at Trunk Bay. You can really see the difference of islands, as St. John is a bit of the "high class". Also, remember, that most of the island is not built up, as it is a national park. You will have some time after the excursion of St. John Beach Escape to shop at St. Tom (not much but enough to get you in trouble! ha ha).

Grandpaul: YES, Trunk Bay was just what the "doctor ordered" - nice & relaxing, absolutely beautiful with picture perfect turquoise water & white sand beach (not a pebble to be found!).

Jwestshuh: it is better to stick w/cruiseline on this excursion, as not enough time if you were trying to do yourself. Perhaps, it would be wise for you to fly out to St. John and spend time there exclusively some other time? You leave on a open bus to the pier & get on a ferry. You are at the beach for only 1.5 hrs. because it is a bit of a haul from St. Tom to St. John. We were able to get a little shopping in at St. John prior to getting on ferry. I might suggest that if you bring a change of clothes for St. John, go directly to the shopping district in St. Tom when you return there. Please be advised to know what you might want to purchase and buy it: remember: if you see what you like, you may not be able to remember where the heck it is if you pass it up!!!! You will NOT have a whole lot of time in St. Tom after the St. John excursion.

Fraidnot: I did not hear of people doing the baths in Tortola, but my daughter did this a few yrs. back on the Princess Line & she really enjoyed it.

Chrisbdi: if you hurry after St. John & get dropped off in St. Tom (NO going back to ship), you could get in some shopping within an hour + or -.

Quinceemom: the spa is in the rear of ship & the relaxing room has a lovely view of the wake - very peaceful.

Monaco02: spa inside the rear of ship with lovely facilities. There is a small pool/hot tub to use again though with a service at $10 - $20 if no service per day - $75 per week. We were lucky with only 60 kids on board, so very calm (only the adults raising *&%#) ha ha. We were told that this week has 650 kids on board - quess if you like kids, this would have been a good week for you.............................

Well, hope that answers questions, let me know if anyone needs any other info - gladly help out if I can.............

C/BB

Thank you for posting this. I have another question...You say the people who did other tours in Samana were disappointed. Do you know anyone who did the "mangroves and beach" tour in particular?If the mangrove portion isn't worth doing, I may just opt for the beach alone.

Sorry, but I did not hear of one person going to Samana for the "Mangrove & Beach Tour" - some did the walking tour and said it was awful (that could have been because it was a rainny day, but said water was running down the street and mud all over!). Likewise w/any of the "jeep tours" - remember that Samana is a new island stop and NOT developed as of yet.

Sprinkles was wonderful on the pool deck w/the hot sun coming down - yum: coconut ice cream - can't get much better......................

I have tons of stuff from my trip (copies of Freestyle Dailies for everyday, ship map, various menus, excursion info, even never used baggage tags (we opted to get off via express disembarkment), some extra coupons from our booklets. I was gonna put on Ebay - but if anyone is interested, contact me soon at 11Cann22@excite.com

...............still chugging the laundry.....................

C/BB

themishmans -- We did the Mangrove Exploration by Kayak and Beach Escape in Samana. I don't think it's the one you're talking about, but figured it might be comparable.

There were about 28 of us on the tour. Picked up at the ship (did not tender to shore) in the boat that we were going to use for the tour. I think the tour may have been full, since there was not a lot of extra room on the boat. We travelled for 45? minutes and then slowed down at the National Park. Looked at some birds -- herons, pelicans and a few others. Then, our group split up for the next 45 minutes. Half went kayaking in the mangroves and the other half explored a cave. Then we switched, so everyone got to do both things. The kayaking was great. Very peaceful. Easy paddling (no current) and nice scenery. Would've loved to spend more time there. The cave was interesting, saw some neat rock formations and cave drawings, but 45 minutes was a little long for it... It rained off and on through the tours, but had a good time even though we were soaked. They served us rum and cokes on the return trip. I did see some speedboats full of people go by while we were in the park, so that could've been the tour you're talking about.

The boat took us to the beach and dropped some of us off (not everyone had paid for the beach part of the excursion). We had about an hour on the beach, which was more than enough for us. Almost everyone from the ship had already left, so it was pretty deserted and there were lots of locals trying to sell things. It was very pretty, but the weather was not cooperating and we go to the beach a lot (live near Cocoa Beach), so didn't stay long.

Hope this helps!

themishmans -- We did the Mangrove Exploration by Kayak and Beach Escape in Samana. I don't think it's the one you're talking about, but figured it might be comparable.

There were about 28 of us on the tour. Picked up at the ship (did not tender to shore) in the boat that we were going to use for the tour. I think the tour may have been full, since there was not a lot of extra room on the boat. We travelled for 45? minutes and then slowed down at the National Park. Looked at some birds -- herons, pelicans and a few others. Then, our group split up for the next 45 minutes. Half went kayaking in the mangroves and the other half explored a cave. Then we switched, so everyone got to do both things. The kayaking was great. Very peaceful. Easy paddling (no current) and nice scenery. Would've loved to spend more time there. The cave was interesting, saw some neat rock formations and cave drawings, but 45 minutes was a little long for it... It rained off and on through the tours, but had a good time even though we were soaked. They served us rum and cokes on the return trip. I did see some speedboats full of people go by while we were in the park, so that could've been the tour you're talking about.

The boat took us to the beach and dropped some of us off (not everyone had paid for the beach part of the excursion). We had about an hour on the beach, which was more than enough for us. Almost everyone from the ship had already left, so it was pretty deserted and there were lots of locals trying to sell things. It was very pretty, but the weather was not cooperating and we go to the beach a lot (live near Cocoa Beach), so didn't stay long.

Hope this helps!

I saw your post on the shore excursions board for DR and thanked you there. Thank you again here ;) It really does help.

Great info, CBB! I'd like to know where the self-serve laundries are on the Dawn? I know, no one does laundry (except me!). I hope to be able to carry on all my luggage next March :D !

Again, thanks for the info (especially about Tortola :) ).

Great info, CBB! I'd like to know where the self-serve laundries are on the Dawn? I know, no one does laundry (except me!). I hope to be able to carry on all my luggage next March :D !

Again, thanks for the info (especially about Tortola :) ).

I can only tell you about deck 10. The laundry was forward of the mid elevators on the starboard side.

:)

I left some info on another question session, so do check if anyone has any ? about Dawn that may have been answered - here are some answers for those in need:

1. there are massage tents, however on Samana, there were NO tents and the ladies doing massage were in open for all to see: just pulled down swimsuits - not sure of prices but if you are modest - I suggest getting massage on ship and paying the price!

2. The laundry room for our deck was around 9130 (?) and the door just blends in, so walk along and look for the small sign saying Laundry Room - there are only 3 washers/dryers, but does have irons/boards, too.

..................hope that helps.............

C/BB

Archived