Nachi Cocom or Wyndam all inclusive ??

mitaxi

I posted this on another thread, but thought I'd repost it here.

My sons (14 and 13) and I just returned (Dec 5) from the All Inclusive Beach Break at the Wyndham Hotel and Resort (used to be the Reef Club). The price was $40.00 for me and $20.00 each for my sons. I had to put $20.00 on my credit card to reserve it and paid $60.00 at the resort. It was our first time cruising and our first time in Cozumel. As much as I was looking forward to this, I was a bit disappointed. It did cost us $15.00 each way by taxi plus a $5.00 tip each way - not a problem.

The resort is pretty. Beautiful lobby and pool overlooking the beach with gorgeous blue water. Everything I saw was clean and well maintained. The staff were friendly and since I speak Spanish poorly I was relieved that most of them spoke English. You are issued a bracelet identifying you as day guests and cards for the towels and for snorkle equipment. You must leave ID with the front desk and return the towel cards to get your ID back. A nice gentleman approached us and offered to pay for our cab fare back to the pier if we went to a 40 minute presentation about vacation ownership. I politely declined. ;)

There were 2 restaurants that were open while we were there. The beach "barbeque" opened about 11am and it served burgers, nachos etc. I didn't see pizza at all (not that we wanted it). You had to leave the beach and sit down at one of their tables and be served by a waitress for the food. Not what I expected and a bit inconvenient. The burgers we had were good. The buffet restaurant opened about noon and that was completely indoors and sit down. We did not go there as we wanted beach time.

The bar was fine and if you had the inclination you could sit there all day and drink as it was included. I had a few margaritas and my sons had sodas. I tipped the bartenders a couple of dollars each time and they were happy.

There were plenty of beach palapas and comfortable lounge chairs. It was not crowded and pleasant. The beach itself has white sand but as soon as you hit the waterline, as mentioned in other posts, it became TOTALLY ROCKY. I don't mean pebbles, I mean full scale stones ranging from a few inches to over a foot high. If we didn't have water shoes we could not have swam at all. This was the part the 3 of us were most disappointed in. It was really uncomfortable to go out to deep water and impossible to play in the water. There were some older folks not too sure on their feet and they had a very difficult time. We all snorkled and there was some pretty fish if you got out deep enough. I also saw submerged huge pieces of concrete with rebar protruding! :eek: There are no lifeguards on the beach.

There were plenty of kayaks and several small sailboats which were included in the price. We brought our own snorkling equipment, but they had that available also.

I think if you are not a beach swimmer, don't have little kids and want to eat, drink and hang out in a nice pool this would be a super excursion. They did have music at the pool and it looked like there were plenty of folks enjoying the day.

We are more beach lovers and it just didn't fit for us.

Hope you enjoy whatever you do!

Archived