Car rental - condition of roads

calenita

Looking at renting a car. We will be in St. Marteen for a week. How bad are the roads? Will we be ok with a regular car or do we need to get an SUV for the extra height? Thanks

Not to worry.

We visit for three or four weeks (and 600 to 1,000 kilometers) a year, most recently this past September for three weeks, and we rent just a regular car, which usually turns out to be a four door Japanese import, and it is just fine, and fairly fuel effecient (gas is expensive now, and about to increase in price).

The roads are in fair to good condition, with a few exceptions, but I would see no reason to go for a SUV just because of road conditions.

The road into Orient/Butterfly Farm/le Galion Beach is absolutely HORRIBLE, and you should take great care, but it is passable (and there ARE other entrances to Orient).

The road to Pic Paradis is HORRIBLE, but you probably shouldn't be driving up there anyway, because of the possibility of crime.

After that, roads should be fine with the occasional pothole. Follow a local and swerve when they swerve. Try not to drive after a heavy rain when you can't see the potholes, take normal care and you should be just fine.

All that said, I have to recommend our friend and highly recommended Tour Guide here on Cruise Critic, Joyce Prince. She does personalized tours, and also has a car rental business for those staying on the island (not one-day cruise visitors).

Visit her website for more information.

gary

THANKS for the info! I think we will just go with a car. DH really doesn't want to get one - just wants to use taxis - but I think we need to have the flexibility of driving around on our own.

I will look into the website. We are staying at the Westin, so I'm not sure where that is in relation to some of the things you mentioned, but will learn more as I reserach into St. Marteen.

Thanks again!

If you are staying for more than one day, St. Maarten is an island where you absolutely need a car. You will be extremely limited and miss out on what the island has to offer if you rely on taxis. Besides, the Westin is in a location that's not close to anything.

Staying at the Westin, it's a no-brainer to Rent a car!

As kal stated, the Westin is pretty isolated; we did see some taxi's when we visited in September, but you will want your own car for flexibility.

I have some recent pictures of the Westin posted in my PhotoBucket.

Also, you'll be right in the neighborhood, so visit our friends at Ms B's on Dawn Beach for some food and drink.

gary

Archived