Just how physical is cave tubing?

LilRhody

I really want to do this on our upcoming cruise, but my husband isn't convinced. He's 6'3" and about 350, so is a bit concerned about hiking through the rain forest and floating around on a tube. How tough would this excursion be for him physically?

I thought the hike was pretty easy. I'm 62, but walk almost daily and am fairly small. Can your husband walk for 30 - 40 minutes at home? The pace is not fast, but it is a dirt trail, fairly wide, small ups and downs, a few rocks and roots and one place we climbed down a rocky area. It was slightly muddy the day we went. I didn't find carrying the tubes hard (I'm 5' 3"), but the guides will help out those who have trouble.

As for the tubing, the hardest part is getting into and out of the tube. Our guides helped everyone do this. I'd also want to check and make sure they can take someone of that weight.

I'd stay away from the tours through the ships, as they tend to be much larger groups with much less help. We personally saw the people on the ship tour that was getting into the river at the same time as us having great trouble, while our guides made it easy and safe.

The 30 minute or so walk is not bad at all. The path is pretty wide and well developed, The elevation does not change too much either. If you can walk around a mall or an amusement park and do an occasional flight of stairs you should have no trouble on this hike. Do wear a shoe with a sole though, the path is gravel in places.

Hi,

The only part I found to be challenging was the humidity!! but the hike it self wasn't that bad. since the group was kept to a limit of 12 we manage to assist each other by just taking our time while the guide was giving us information about the different animal and plant species.

Don't let the word hike intimidate you, we do need some excersise once in a while, after being stuck in an office 14-16hrs. a day.

Archived