New Orleans accessibility

george2000

Not going on a cruise, but this seems to be the most active board I belong to so I thought I'd post this question here. Hoping to make it to New Orleans for the College National football game. We are staying in the French Quarter near the superdome and I'm wondering if there is any reason to rent a car. My husband is confined to a wheelchair with MS, but the shuttle that runs from the airport to downtown says with a 2 week notice they will arrange a WC accessible van. We had a bad experience with a shuttle in LA earlier this year, but it is over $300 to rent a van for the time we are in New Orleans. Has anyone had any experience with the shuttle from the airport or can anyone tell me how accesible New Orleans is? Don't plan on doing much other than the game, except maybe wander around the French Quarter some. Thanks!

the french quarter is *not* near the Superdome -- not at all. Didn't have a bad time in NO and in fact wrote many articles about access in NOLA post Katrina, including one in Emerging Horizons. I'm thinking you should rent a car because the superdome is not near the FQ (where you are staying). They have accessible airport trasport, but not accessible taxis or other transport.

Candy

Now I'm confused, we're staying on Carondelet Street at the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel website says we are 0.1 mile from French Quarter and Bourbon Street and 0.3 mile from Riverwalk Shopping and the Superdome. Wouldn't this be within walking distance?

Not sure what your definition of "far" is, Queenie, but I've walked from the French Quarter to the Superdome area many times (used to work out of an office across the street). I gave up my car when I moved to the Quarter in 2001. My disabled parents, who both use electric scooters, lived in the Quarter without a car for nearly three years...the only reason they bought the vehicle was to get out of town for camping/evacuation.

George--I don't have experience with the shuttle, but I think any minor inconveniences you would have would be well worth the $300 you'll save by not renting the van. Not to mention that driving in New Orleans is a major headache, and parking is a nightmare. The city's definitely designed for walking.

That Holiday Inn is in the 200 block of Carondelet, correct? To get into the Quarter, just head towards Canal Street when you leave the hotel. Walk two blocks and cross Canal. Boom, you're on Bourbon Street...Carondelet becomes Bourbon when you cross Canal.

To get to the Superdome, walk down Carondelet away from Canal Street.

Go four blocks to Poydras and turn right. From there, it's about five or six blocks to the Superdome. The area's plenty safe, especially when there's a game in town. Use your street smarts, of course, like you would in any city.

Accessibility is very good overall, a bit hit or miss in places. You may not find a cutout, for example, where you would expect. That's okay, there'll be one close by. There's sometimes a step up into a shop into a shop or restaurant, if he can walk at all that'll be easiest, but if not, you can learn to manage the step with the wheelchair. The locals are exceptionally friendly, and glad to help in any way possible.

Make sure you get off Bourbon Street while exploring the Quarter. It's something everyone should see, but locals tend to avoid the place ;) For a more authentic experience, make your way down to Decatur (the road that runs along the river in the Quarter). Go to Jackson Square (where the Cathedral is) to see the street perfomers, palmists, etc.

Expect to be asked for spare change a lot, but don't feel obligated to give. You won't be harassed, just asked. Some of them have really cute acts, like the guys who give good advice for a quarter, bad advice for a dime. Just remember the Quarter stops at Rampart Street...not a great idea for first-time visitors to cross Rampart, as you'll end up in the projects.

New Orleans is an annoying place to drive, a great place to walk, and a reasonably accessible place for those with disabilities. A tip on dining...make sure you check out the local hole in the wall places. Somebody once said, and it's true: the difference between a 5 star New Orleans restaurant and a New Orleans dive? A white tablecloth. You'll get the same food, same service, same everything at a $7 pp meal as you will a $100 pp meal.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any additional questions...and have a GREAT time!!

Blackrose, Thank you so much for all your information. You clarified what I was thinking about the distance. I don't mind walking and can always use the extra exercise. And hubby will just sit back and enjoy the ride. I'm thinking we should probably just put up with the shuttle. We shouldn't be in a rush and I don't think it makes sense to rent a car just to have it sit in the hotel parking garage. As the game gets closer, I may have more questions.

• 5 years later...

Trying to arrange a CC group dinner per-cruise. Most are staying at the Doubletree on Canal. Can any recommend a place to eat on a Friday night that we cam make reservations with moderate priced food? Can anyone comment on Palace Café or Cafe Giovanni? Thanks!

Archived