Shasa 5 hr catamaran lunch sail

waiting2retire

We took this tour with Shasa on November 16 during our 11-day Noordam Southern Caribbean cruise. Without a doubt, it was the highlight of our entire cruise :D

We were picked up at the pier, as promised, and had a lovely scenic drive to where our captain, Jason, was waiting for us. There were a total of six people only sailing that day since it was not yet high season; bonus for us! The day started off a little rocky, with a brief downpour and minor engine trouble, but we were soon under full sail in beautiful warm sunshine. Our first stop was to swim with the turtles. It was only my second snorkeling experience and I loved it! The mask fit really well, as opposed to my first experience in Cozumel where I had to keep surfacing to dump the water out of it. Jason fed the turtles, and we all had a wonderful opportunity to see and photograph these beautiful creatures up close. A large puffer fish kind of freaked me out when he came swimming up from below me, but we got along just fine :) . Jason was really good at helping those who needed it in and out of the boat, and I really liked being with a small group in the water when I saw the dozens of people from the cruise ship excursions all piling into the water at once when we were ready to leave.

Next stop was to snorkel around a sunken ship. We must have spent close to an hour in the water and even then, I didn't want to get out! Jason was great in making sure we were all okay all the time, and pointing out specific sea creatures, even though I didn't always know what I was looking at :o . There were thousands and thousands of fish swimming around us all the time, and we managed to stay apart from the larger vessels so that the water did not get murky.

Next was lunch time. Jason anchored just off a beautiful, quiet stretch of beach and we went for a swim and walked the beach a ways before he called us back to the boat for lunch. Lunch was wonderful -- blue marlin (never had it before -- loved it!), chicken, yummy macaroni and cheese, rice, a tossed salad and a cole slaw that was delicious! Dessert was orange cake, banana bread and cheese biscuits. Oh yes, and the entire time we were sailing, rum punch, soda and water were available.

I went for another dip after lunch; just couldn't stay out of the beautiful, warm water!! We finally headed back, outrunning (mostly) an incoming storm, and got into a waiting taxi for our return trip to the ship.

All in all, a perfect day, on a beautiful boat, with great food, drinks and company :) . I highly recommend Shasa tours to anyone considering this type of excursion. We paid much less than the same excursion through the ship, had a much more personal experience, and a VERY attractive captain :D .

Thanks Jason !!

Bonnie

Archived