Snorkling with mustache

larry_s_taco

The snorkel keeper, kind of a rubber loop that comes with the snorkel will fit between your head and the goggle strap without too much of a problem, however breathing for you may be a problem unless you wear nose clips. It takes a conscious effort not to inhale through your nose while your head is underwater, and it does take some practice not to suck water through your nose.

Has anyone suggested bringing a small jar of vaseline with you and coating your stache with it and using a regular diving mask? SCUBA divers have been using that trick for years, and it does seem to work for mustaches and beards.;)

• 2 weeks later...
My hubby had the same problem when we snorkeled. He used vaseline until a dive shop employee told him that it's hard on masks. He recommended some silicone salve & it works great--better than the vaseline did.

Thanks for the tip. Where can I get silicone salve?

FWIW, when I did my refresher course at a dive shop a couple of weeks ago, the instructor, an old-timer, recommended Vaseline by name. Twice. I dunno, maybe the shop is hoping that divers' masks disintegrate so they can make more sales?

• 1 month later...
I thought you could just shave a few hairs at the top of your mustache (just below your nose). Just enough for the mask to touch skin. I thought some of the guys in my dive class recommended this approach.

This is what I do. Pull in your lips and trim your hairs just even with the bottom of your nose. Also the mask fit will make a big difference as well (I went through 4 masks at my dive shop before I found the one that fit best). Also note some new masks have really soft silicone skirts that seal better than the older stiffer skirts. Plus don't tighten your mask too tight. It should just be tight enough to stay on your face, torquing it down too tight will cause the mask to flex causing leaks.

My 2-cents,

Randall

I've had problems in the past snorkling because I have a mustache. I bought a pair of swim goggles that seal very well and are rated for 30 feet. My question is: Will I be able to attach a snorkle to these goggles? I'm wondering if I need a nose clip as well.

Swim goggles work for swimming on the surface, but are not made for diving to the bottom. You need a mask to prevent rupturing the capillaries in and around your eyes. While not harmful, you will look like a raccoon and you really dont want to spend your vacation with 2 black eyes.

If you have been to your Local Dive shop, they have told you that fit is the most important, A moustache will always leak. I've been diving for 30 years taught diving and snorkeling for over 20, suffered a leaky mask for 25 years. That said I like my moustache and won't shave it, I'll live with the water. The advice about trimming your moustache is the best to slow the leakage down. Vasaline or silicone gel will work also. Vasaline to my knowledge won't hurt the silicone, the old style rubber masks would break down with exposure to petroleum products.

If you haven't gotton a mask yet look for a silicone mask with a feathered skirt, it looks like it has 2 seals. don't wear it too tight, the seals will roll over and cause the mask to leak, your Dive Shop can help you adjust it. the other feature you may consider is a purge valve, this is a one way valve that will allow the water to push out you mask. All you need to do is look down so the water collects over the valve, press the mask gently to your face and exhale gently. The increased air pressure will push the water out of your mask easily.

Good luck with your mask and enjoy your time in the water.

• 2 weeks later...
I had read somewhere that Vasaline breaks down masks. I'm going out this week to see what I can find. I'll take some kind of product as a back up.

Thanks for your input.

Whether you are using silicone or PVC mask/goggles - Don't use Vaseline, as already been mentioned it will degrade the material eventually rendering the mask unusable.

Here is a product specifically designed for the purpose:

http://www.123scuba.com/p-M11339.html

Archived