Stingray City

Angel59920

There are some pretty good videos on YouTube. Just type in "stingray city grand cayman" and they'll be right there.

I was very impressed.

I will be there on December 11th, so if you email or remind me when I get back I'd be happy to let you know how it goes and show you my pictures.

Absolutely LOVED it. Definitely worth it. Water is beautiful, stingrays incredible. Would definitely do it again. Tour guides love to pick them up out of the water. When they do, they stingrays spit out a stream of water. It's pretty funny. You can feed squid to them, too. They'll suck it right out of your hand. Be sure to take an underwater camera! Pics:

PICT2513.jpg

FL000012.jpg

FL000016.jpg

FL000009.jpg

Just returned from the Coral 11/20-30 which was diverted to Grand Cayman. We went to Stingray City and absolutely loved it. My 12 year old DD was scared and I noted that other small children were also, but I think it was because of the crocodile hunter's death and not anything else. They were absolutely beautiful and would do it again. Be sure to take an underwater camera. Although the water is about waist high, by snorkeling you can see them more clearly.

OMG,:D you will have a great time at Stingray City. Just got back from Grand Cayman. We took a day trip to see the stingrays. Had a wonderful time. Don't let the Steve Irwin story freak you out!!! The rays are very gentle/a fun place to snorkle. My mother who is 72 gave this a try an loved it! We also had some 20 somethings along and they said that was the best part of the cruise. Great weather and lot's of sunshine. Take a waterproof camera and some sunscreen and you will have one of the best days of your life!! No complaints about this excursion at all!!! The water is warm and crystal clear. I wish I was there right now!!!:D

OMG,:D you will have a great time at Stingray City. Just got back from Grand Cayman. We took a day trip to see the stingrays. Had a wonderful time. Don't let the Steve Irwin story freak you out!!! The rays are very gentle/a fun place to snorkle. My mother who is 72 gave this a try an loved it! We also had some 20 somethings along and they said that was the best part of the cruise. Great weather and lot's of sunshine. Take a waterproof camera and some sunscreen and you will have one of the best days of your life!! No complaints about this excursion at all!!! The water is warm and crystal clear. I wish I was there right now!!!:D

Who did you book with?

OMG,:D you will have a great time at Stingray City. Just got back from Grand Cayman. We took a day trip to see the stingrays. Had a wonderful time. Don't let the Steve Irwin story freak you out!!! The rays are very gentle/a fun place to snorkle. My mother who is 72 gave this a try an loved it! We also had some 20 somethings along and they said that was the best part of the cruise. Great weather and lot's of sunshine. Take a waterproof camera and some sunscreen and you will have one of the best days of your life!! No complaints about this excursion at all!!! The water is warm and crystal clear. I wish I was there right now!!!:D[/quo

Just to note that my comment was that the smaller children were scared of the rays based on their knowlege of Steve Irwin's death from a ray. We able to get them into the water eventually after they were reassured that nothing similar would happen. I am refering to children 8 and under. All adults on board had a BLAST!

We just got back from our cruise Saturday. We booked our excursion through Carnival. It was the Stingray City and Rum Point Beach excursion. It was fabulous. We were bused from the terminal to a boat. (Sundancer) The ride over on the boat took about 15 to 20 minutes. The stingrays were awesome! We loved it. After about an hour, you get back on the boat for a short ride to Rum Point Beach, where you can eat lunch if you want or just relax on the beach. They will call your lunch order in from the boat and it will be ready and waiting for you. ( you still have to pay for it ) After an hour there, its back on the boat for free Rum Punch and the 20 minute ride back to their dock. You are whisked away in a shuttle bus back to the ship. Our driver took us to the Tortuga Rum Factory for all the free rum we could drink in 10 minutes.

It was amazing and if we go back to the Cayman Islands, we will do the same excursion again! Loved it!

[]We have used Captain Bryan.. and will be using him again in a few short days:D Loved the experience can't wait to do it again.

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityCaptBryans.htm

We just returned and were booked with Capt Bryan there boat was broke!! We sat in there area went to the store and asked because no one else was around. Finally a girl came and told us the boat problems and asked if we still wanted to go we could go with their sister company? We wanted to still go walked back a couple of blocks and went with Capt Marvins who appeared to have been waiting for us. Thanks so much to Capt Marvins for taking us on at the last minute. I just wonder why Capt Bryans couldn't have left word with us on the ship the boat had broke on Monday and this was Thursday. We're real thankful we weren't on the boat when it broke! Capt Bryan's girl is the one that took our money and walked us to Capt Marvins who gave us a receipt to give to boat crew.

A few questions about my original post....We booked the trip with our cruise The Great Grand Princess!!! No complaints what-so-ever. From what I have heard you can book with local folks as well. A cheap throw away underwater/waterproof camera is the way to go. You will want pictures to remember this day. :D We did have younger children that went snorkling with us...they were not scared but very excited and had no problems with the rays. Have a great cruise and I promise you will love the Grand Cayman Islands.

I went to sting ray city in May 2006. I was very excited because I heard sooooo many good things about it. I did not have a good time there.

At first It was awesome even though the water was in some places too deep for me (I'm 5 feet). There were sting rays everywhere and they were so beautiful.

I decided I wanted to feed one. I held the squid like I was supposed to, but the sing ray missed the food and got my arm instead. They don't bite, they suck. It was excruciating pain that radiated up my whole arm. I can't explain the pain. I was miserable it brought me to tears and I had to get out of the water. It sucked the skin off my forearm about 2.5 inches from my wrist. It swelled and got infected, and now I have a scar.

I am going to Grand Cayman in February and will not be going to sting ray city.

If you go, you will have a great time, because it's so neat to be able to swim with the sting ray's, but PLEASE don't feed them. Don't get near the squid because if you get it anywhere on you, the sting ray will smell it, think it's food and suck it. The tour guide will explain it to you, but they play it up like it's no big deal. They must not realize how bad the pain is. It's right up there with the worst pain I have EVER had.

Have fun and don't forget to take your camera!!

Thanks so much, I'm sorry you didn't have a good time and that you got hurt. I wont be feeding them.

I just got back from Stingray City this past Thursday. It was an awesome experience. The rays are very gentle and Captain Marvin's was awesome. The guide held one of them and let us hold it if we wanted or kiss it. They had a guy on the boat who was filming the entire trip and you could buy a DVD for $50.

I did feed them and it was a neat experience, but if you pass on that part you're not missing a whole lot IMO. If you're scared to get your skin sucked off then just pass on that part.

I took one of the underwater cameras and got a lot of pictures, but I am still waiting to get them developed. I will let you know how they turn out.

Archived