Stingray City

Angel59920

I went to sting ray city in May 2006. I was very excited because I heard sooooo many good things about it. I did not have a good time there.

At first It was awesome even though the water was in some places too deep for me (I'm 5 feet). There were sting rays everywhere and they were so beautiful.

I decided I wanted to feed one. I held the squid like I was supposed to, but the sing ray missed the food and got my arm instead. They don't bite, they suck. It was excruciating pain that radiated up my whole arm. I can't explain the pain. I was miserable it brought me to tears and I had to get out of the water. It sucked the skin off my forearm about 2.5 inches from my wrist. It swelled and got infected, and now I have a scar.

I am going to Grand Cayman in February and will not be going to sting ray city.

If you go, you will have a great time, because it's so neat to be able to swim with the sting ray's, but PLEASE don't feed them. Don't get near the squid because if you get it anywhere on you, the sting ray will smell it, think it's food and suck it. The tour guide will explain it to you, but they play it up like it's no big deal. They must not realize how bad the pain is. It's right up there with the worst pain I have EVER had.

Have fun and don't forget to take your camera!!

I would imagine that most guides have at one time or another gotten a "ray hickey." I did the first time I did sting ray city because I held the squid improperly. I found it to be moderately painful at most, but of course everyone's experience is likely to be different.

I just returned from a land trip in Grand Cayman (December 26-Jan.2, 2008) and did the Sting Ray City sandbar excursion. This is different from the swim with the stingray excursion because you are standing in only about 3-4 feet of water, which I felt was a little less disconcerting.

The second thing is that our excursion director told us that Cayman has passed new regulations prohibiting anyone but excursion guides from feeding the rays as they have become severely overfed. I don't know if this is really the case, or if Red Sail Sports is just trying to do their part in reducing the overfeeding problems, but we absolutely did not have the option on our excursion to feed the rays. In the past, we always were allowed.

I would imagine that most guides have at one time or another gotten a "ray hickey." I did the first time I did sting ray city because I held the squid improperly. I found it to be moderately painful at most, but of course everyone's experience is likely to be different.

I just returned from a land trip in Grand Cayman (December 26-Jan.2, 2008) and did the Sting Ray City sandbar excursion. This is different from the swim with the stingray excursion because you are standing in only about 3-4 feet of water, which I felt was a little less disconcerting.

The second thing is that our excursion director told us that Cayman has passed new regulations prohibiting anyone but excursion guides from feeding the rays as they have become severely overfed. I don't know if this is really the case, or if Red Sail Sports is just trying to do their part in reducing the overfeeding problems, but we absolutely did not have the option on our excursion to feed the rays. In the past, we always were allowed.

MODERATE pain?? HA!!!! NO WAY! I have had MANY srugeries in my life and have been thru some excrutiating pain, but this pain was the worst. It went all the way up my arm an down to my hand. that pain wasn't immediate...it started about 30 second after the suck. The area didn't look that bad, but even after it was over it was sore to the touch for a year. It healed, but I have a scar. They don't leave hickey's. Hickey is when blood gets sucked to the top of your skin....stingrays suck the skin OFF. There is a big difference. it didn't even bruise. It was just red and it got a little bit infected after about a week. Here are a few photos. Sorry they are so small....you can click on the for a litte bigger photo.

Right after it happened

ouch.jpg.623537196d569d28ced89e143aadb00d.jpg

A couple hours later

ouch2.jpg.c1fc8e074ce9f5fea264be3b6c90e6c3.jpg

2nd day

ouch3.jpg.fa656baf3b6f0506ac6864fafce46c31.jpg

3rd day

1945897658_3rdday.jpg.f1996700397491eb31e05a6a6619dca9.jpg

arm.jpg.78756dd32f0838626b20c47140f65209.jpg

MODERATE pain?? HA!!!! NO WAY! I have had MANY srugeries in my life and have been thru some excrutiating pain, but this pain was the worst. It went all the way up my arm an down to my hand. that pain wasn't immediate...it started about 30 second after the suck. The area didn't look that bad, but even after it was over it was sore to the touch for a year. It healed, but I have a scar. They don't leave hickey's. Hickey is when blood gets sucked to the top of your skin....stingrays suck the skin OFF. There is a big difference. it didn't even bruise. It was just red and it got a little bit infected after about a week. Here are a few photos. Sorry they are so small....you can click on the for a litte bigger photo.

Right after it happened

[ATTACH]66558[/ATTACH]

A couple hours later

[ATTACH]66559[/ATTACH]

2nd day

[ATTACH]66560[/ATTACH]

3rd day

[ATTACH]66562[/ATTACH]

I don't doubt your experience at all. But usually, the pain is not as severe as you experienced. My ray got my thumb because I had it sticking up rather than flush, and it didn't look all that bad, and hurt for only a few moments. So I am here to tell you that it certainly can be "moderate." And whether or not it's medically accurate to call them "hickeys," they are referred to as "hickeys." Every time I have been to Cayman and done this excursion (5 times), our guides have referred to them as "ray hickeys." You sound like you did not have the most typical injury, but actual tissue and possibly nerve damage. As horrible as it was for you, your experience is not the norm or this excursion would not be so popular, with people going back again and again. Doesn't help you, though, I know. My husband was recently diagnosed with a cancer that "only" afflicts older men. The fact that his happens so rarely to men his age doesn't really comfort him (or me) at all, so I can certainly sympathize with your take on the situation.

I am looking into doing the 2 hour stingray city and snorkel with Captain Marvins. My question is this. Our docking times are 7:00AM-2:00PM. We are on the Inspiration-our first cruise ever. I am trying to determine what times are good to book-there are 2 different options 8:30-10:30 and 11:15-1:15. What time is best??? It seems like the times are close and we don't want to be out the $$$ if for some reason the ship doesn't dock or we miss the tour and we don't want to miss the ship on a return trip-yikes! Soooo much to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't doubt your experience at all. But usually, the pain is not as severe as you experienced. My ray got my thumb because I had it sticking up rather than flush, and it didn't look all that bad, and hurt for only a few moments. So I am here to tell you that it certainly can be "moderate." And whether or not it's medically accurate to call them "hickeys," they are referred to as "hickeys." Every time I have been to Cayman and done this excursion (5 times), our guides have referred to them as "ray hickeys." You sound like you did not have the most typical injury, but actual tissue and possibly nerve damage. As horrible as it was for you, your experience is not the norm or this excursion would not be so popular, with people going back again and again. Doesn't help you, though, I know. My husband was recently diagnosed with a cancer that "only" afflicts older men. The fact that his happens so rarely to men his age doesn't really comfort him (or me) at all, so I can certainly sympathize with your take on the situation.

Ahhhhhhhh, that makes more sence. The guides did refer to them as hickey's so that's what I expected, not what what I got though. He he he!! So I'm wondering why they call them that?

I did love the stingrays, they were gorgeous and the waters was beautiful, but unless I grow 2 more feet and steel skin then I own't be going back. :) I wish that I had a nice experience, because I wouldn't mind going back again....in shallower water.

I don't want to scare anyone from going there. It really is an awesome experience. Just try not to feed them :D

Thanks so much for the photo's. I'm sorry that happened to you. It looks like it hurt. I guess you never when back?

It did hurt, the area wasn't that bad looking, it hurt worse than it looked. As soon as it happened I got back on the boat. My husband stayed in the water. I felt bad for him because he was worried about me, but I knew he wasn't ready to get out. The area is GORGEOUS and any pictures you see will not do it justice. When the boat puls up to the stingrays you can see them in the water. Some are HUGE and some are so little.

Don't be afraid of them....the only reason it got me was because of the squid. It really is a neat experience and I think you will enjoy it. (it was also a very choppy water day, so it was a little hard to stand still)

Archived