Naples tour

We are currently looking at booking a private tour with Benvenuto Limos and narrowed it down to two excursions... Positano-Amalfi-Pompeii or Pompeii-Sorrento-Positano. Wondering if anyone has done either and what their thoughts are. Also how much time approx. is spent in the van for the one that goes to Amalfi ? It seems far on the map. Thanks for all the great advice. We never would of even heard of private tours if it wasn't for your time and effort.

DGK:)

that is the beauty of the Amalfi coast. It is a drive along the coast.

We just returned, and our private tour(11-10-7) with Salvatore Lucibello of Drive Amalfi was outstanding. The drive along the coast is breathtaking, and he stopped several times so we could take pics or just enjoy the view. We visited Amalfi, and had a fantastic lunch at a small out of the way restaurant above the town. Salvatore was informative throughout the day.

Most of the afternoon was enjoyed at Pompeii. Very interesting and enlightening. We used a liscensed guide there who was hired by Salvatore although we paid him directly. If you have not been there before I would not miss it.

We used private tours on 7 days of the cruise. All were at least satisfactory. This one was exceptional.

I almost think you can't go wrong with any of the guides that have frequent recommendations on this forum.

We used SeeSorrento with Marco as our guide. We did not stop, but did drive through Positano, Ravello and Sorrento. We had a very large group of cruisecritic folks (24 with 3 vans) and maybe that is why we did not have time to stop to browse.

A wonderful lunch was planned, also way atop a mountain at a family restaurant. It was truly a great experience. After lunch, we traveled to Pompeii and spend the last couple hours of our day.

As I recall, our ship docked at 7 and we were in the vans at 7:30AM on our way. Ship sailed at 6PM and we were all back on board at 5:30PM. So we spend every minute of the day with our tour.

I did not find the drive along the coast difficult as we made several stops to take pics and go potty.....

As long as you see several recommendations for a specific company, I think you should feel quite safe in your choice. These folks know about these boards and they know many recommendations come their way from our sharing.

We used Aldo for a group of 6 three weeks ago and he was fantastic. We started at 8 am in Naples and went to Ravello, then down to Amalfi and down the coast to positane followed by lunch in the hills above Positano.

Then on to Pompeii for a couple of hours and back to the ship at 4 pm. Aldo is very flexible and adapts to your needs. He knew we were avid photographers. So we made frequent stops to take pictures. He took us to a winery since we were interested in local wines.

http://www.aldotaxi.net/tours.htm

We are currently looking at booking a private tour with Benvenuto Limos and narrowed it down to two excursions... Positano-Amalfi-Pompeii or Pompeii-Sorrento-Positano. Wondering if anyone has done either and what their thoughts are. Also how much time approx. is spent in the van for the one that goes to Amalfi ? It seems far on the map. Thanks for all the great advice. We never would of even heard of private tours if it wasn't for your time and effort.

We used: http://www.francescomarrapese.com and he was excellent.

Pompeii is wonderful but I would urge you to hire a private guide to maximize the experience and minimize the time. The place is huge but with a guide you can get highlights in about 2 hours. Very impressive and thought provoking.

We had lunch in Sorretto on a pier restaurant, a lovely seaside town.

As others have noted, the Amalfi drive is stunning.

I will say that I spoke to lots of passengers and saw lots of photos of Capri and it looks beautiul but we have no regrest with our tour choice.

We used Benvenuto last year in Rome, Naples and Florence. They were excellent. Guiseppe was our driver. We did Pompeii, Amalfi and Positano. It was all beautiful. The drive on the Amalfi Coast is breathtaking. You stop along the way, so it does not feel like you are trapped in a car the entire time. Guiseppe took us to the most amazing restaurant in Positano. He called in Mama Pasta. Everything was homemade, including the wine. One of the best meals ever!! You are going to love it!!!

I am one that must be sitting in the front seat, preferably driving, but at least in the front. Especially on a winding road.

I was in the middle seats of the van and had no trouble whatsoever. I don't know if it was the fresh air, the beautiful drives or the reduces speeds allowing for viewing, but I had no problems at all.

I see you are new at posting and wondered if you had signed up for your particular ships meet and mingle (that's what RCI calls it).

I always sign up and meet a great group of people and we make many plans together.

If you haven't and want more info, post the date/ship you are on and I'll post the link to it.

Beth & Rob- Thanks for you suggestions. Yes, I did post on Roll Call ( thanks to this site I found it ) and have only been corresponding with one other gal. We hope after the holidays there will be more action. We don't cruise till Sept. so still lots of time. Would you start to be concern if planning private tours at this point ?

We have done this tour 2 times with Benvenuto( both with Giovanni) ahhhhhhhh! Excellent! We love it!! I have been to Sorrento and Pompeii and Positano the first time and the second time we went only to the Amalfi Coast.

It is stunning!! My recommendation is Amalfi Coast. Its like and hour a little more drive from Naples. About being sick , the first time we were 14 no one got car sick, and the second time we were 10 and only one got sick, but she has story with being car sick. So dont worry, I was both times up front with Giovanni I have no fear and didnt get sick. He is a great driver. :)

We took our cruise on 10/24. I joined our specific group more than a year prior. In investigating and researching, I found that several of the "top recommended" guides, such as Giovanni from Benvenuto, Marcello from SeeSorrento and I think it was Daniele from RomeinLimo or maybe it was DriverinRome, were booked up.. There were other guides from their company, but they themselves were not available.

You are going in high season. I would email now and try to ink something.

Marco from SeeSorrento is also wonderful. I think you can't go wrong with the recommendations made on CC, no matter which company, just use one that you've seen several posts on.

Initially it was my cousins and us for the Amalfi Coast Tour. I posted on our meet and mingle and as time went by and more folks joined our thread, others wanted in. I kept emailing Marcello advising we had more and he said, no problem, he just added another van.

I had him make arrangements for a tour guide of Pompeii for us as well. You can get a map and DIY, get an audio player, or get a guide. They are 100E, and I suggest doing that. If you want a guide, let whoever does your tour make these arrangements for you.

We wound up with 24 people on our tour, so we had 3 vans. The cost for each van was 550E, divided by 8 folks per van. Splitting the Pompeii guide came out to about $6 PP. Made for a very reasonably priced day.

Our CC group was 58, so we had many different tours going in port. Someone started researching and then made suggestions and folks joined in to make groups for every place we went. Kept the cost down significantly. Better to split 550E by 6 or 8 than by 2...

AND........everyone agreed, the private tours are much better than the ships.........

that is the beauty of the Amalfi coast. It is a drive along the coast.

We just returned, and our private tour(11-10-7) with Salvatore Lucibello of Drive Amalfi was outstanding. The drive along the coast is breathtaking, and he stopped several times so we could take pics or just enjoy the view. We visited Amalfi, and had a fantastic lunch at a small out of the way restaurant above the town. Salvatore was informative throughout the day.

Most of the afternoon was enjoyed at Pompeii. Very interesting and enlightening. We used a liscensed guide there who was hired by Salvatore although we paid him directly. If you have not been there before I would not miss it.

We used private tours on 7 days of the cruise. All were at least satisfactory. This one was exceptional.

I have tried the link for drive almalfi (driveamalfi.com)and can not get thru to it. Do I have the wrong website link?

We are going on a cruise in April and I have be in touch with Mr. Marrapese to set up a tour. I have high hopes for a very nice day exploring with him as our guide. So far I have been very pleased with his communication and response to emails. Any suggestions as to what we might be able to fit in our tour would be appreciated. A great restaurant etc.? We will be in Naples from 7am until 6pm So I am thinking we will have to arrange to be picked up at 7:30am and dropped off at 5pm www.francescomarrapese.com

Thank you in advance.

We are going on a cruise in April and I have be in touch with Mr. Marrapese to set up a tour. I have high hopes for a very nice day exploring with him as our guide. So far I have been very pleased with his communication and response to emails. Any suggestions as to what we might be able to fit in our tour would be appreciated. A great restaurant etc.? We will be in Naples from 7am until 6pm So I am thinking we will have to arrange to be picked up at 7:30am and dropped off at 5pm www.francescomarrapese.com

Thank you in advance.

You will enjoy your tour. If you are doing Pompeii, and I would recommend this, go there first to beat the crowds. I would suggest getting a private guide (about 100 Euros for your group) and it will make the best of your time there. He will arrange this for you if you ask.

He took us to lunch in Sorrentto, I cannot remember the name of the restaurant but it was on a pier right on the ocean in a beautiful location (he is well known there and I expect he goes to the place often). The trip down the side of the cliff and through the narrow streets is an adventure in itself. We had great food and wine for a reasonable price and the service was fantastic. We spent the rest of the day exploring the Amalfi coast where there are numerous post-card locations and breath taking views.

Thank you for your reply. May I ask did you have him join you for lunch? I really do not know what is customary as to this and if you should tip when it is his own company. I would appreciate any insight you might give on these matters also. Your suggestions sound wonderful.

I have tried the link for drive almalfi (driveamalfi.com)and can not get thru to it. Do I have the wrong website link?

He does not have a website. Just operates on word of mouth from this web site from what I can see. I have him booked for a tour in May. I have 2 vans booked, and others on our Roll Call have a third. You can email him at ***** . He responds very quickly and professionally.

Thank you for your reply. May I ask did you have him join you for lunch? I really do not know what is customary as to this and if you should tip when it is his own company. I would appreciate any insight you might give on these matters also. Your suggestions sound wonderful.

No, we invited him to join us but he sat at a table at the front of the restaurant and spoke to the owners.

We did tip him; I forget how much, maybe 35 euros because we thought he was so good. He did not seem to expect a tip and appeared appreciative.

Archived