Reef Shoes?

daisy gal

Hello CCer's,

Before I start, I want to thank everyone for the information and photos I have seen while scanning through the P&O Aust Forums.

I have read through alot of posts and came across one that had good ideas for packing lists for cruises. Quite a few said "Reef Shoes". Pardon my ignorance, but what are reef shoes and any idea where I can buy them prior to going on board? Will those plastic shoes that everyone seems to wear with the holes in the top, I dont know if they have a name.... would they work just as well.. ??:confused:

I am going on Pacific Dawn for the NYE cruise :D (Emerald Bay,Champagne Bay, Wala, Vila, Mystery Island, Isle of Pines). I am travelling with my best friend who has never been on a cruise before. I have been on Fair Princess once a long time ago but missed out on alot of the hype leading up to it and during it, I never even got to see the Pacific Daily when I was on the ship:eek: . So this really is to some degree my first as well... :p

I am driving my poor mum and everyone else around me crazy with daily calls advising how many days to go.... :p And now I am even worse now that I have my little blue folder....

Thanks heaps

Helen

(PS - Not Icemaidens cabin stranger)

Reff shoes are also known as aqua shoes or even aqua socks. They are made of kinda like wetsuit material and are a must for a lot of the islands. You can buy them in surf shops (pretty expensive) or you can buy them in Kmart or BigW for about $8. They will be good enough.

Karen

just remember to throw them out after you leave the last port.or at least give them a good rinsing and dry them out thoughly

last week i checked a couple of pairs we had from a year or so ago, still in a plastic bag and the smell is quite delightful.

i have tossed them and will buy a new pair for my delicate feet

The shoes with holes on top are Crocs.

Reef shoes are the wetsuit type material shoes with the rubber sole which are handy as some of the beaches have rocks and broken coral.

sorry to go off topic but did you see the oprah show where the lady that invented the "little stickin things that go in the holes" was on.

she started making them in her basement and has just sold the company to crocs for many millions.

A millionaire for making little tiny flower things. Just goes to show how huge they are in america.

now why i cant i come up with an idea like that.

got to say though that i just hate the crocs and crocs with socks i hate more(sorry to croc lovers)

sorry to go off topic but did you see the oprah show where the lady that invented the "little stickin things that go in the holes" was on.

she started making them in her basement and has just sold the company to crocs for many millions.

A millionaire for making little tiny flower things. Just goes to show how huge they are in america.

now why i cant i come up with an idea like that.

got to say though that i just hate the crocs and crocs with socks i hate more(sorry to croc lovers)

I am with you there Karon, never had them never will;)

Dont do much for me, but I love my reef shoes, definatley need them in Lifou and Vila for snorkelling, we dont take our fins anymore, unless its deeper water and there is a strong current.

Chez

xx

Another croc hater here. They just look so damn cheap and tacky. But you see people wearing them with their semi decent clothes! And why oh why if they insist on wearing them, can't they get a pair that actually matches the colour of the outfit they're wearing :cool:

Reef shoes are a definate must for the smaller islands in my books though. Even if you're not snorkelling they come in handy just walking around on their sandy roads and pathways. Trying to get sand out of your nikes is WAY too hard LOL!

Thanks everyone for your input. I now understand the difference. Went to one surfie shop who told me that Reef dont make shoes anymore but then I explained what I wanted and he got the idea. From there I saw what they looked like Because there was no way I was going to pay $70, Kmart was out of them. But today I managed to pick up a pair from a liquidation shop for $7.00. Much better...

Thanks

Helen

After reading all the comments re reef shoes on here, I managed to convince DH to buy a pair as well. We got ours from Big W for around $7 a pair I think (courtesy of a newly opened store).

Sarah

Just a note if you bought the ones from Big W that are the wet-suit material type with the clear rubbery sole, then watch out when you wear them after they are wet. My husband and 2 other people that we know of, slipped badly on to their backs when entering the tender boat to go back to the ship. I think it would help too if they put the same carpet that's on the Lido deck onto that first part of the tender you enter. My hubby took his shoes off for the other tender boat trips.

Archived