Will we be happy with the Fantasy after being on the Conquest?

Christine in MO

Our only cruise was last year on the Conquest. We loved the ship/cruise and had a great time. I cannot wait to take another cruise. While my DH had a good time he isn't real excited about taking another cruise so "soon" DH doesn't fly so we had to drive to/from Galveston from NE Missouri. So, with to/from travel time and a 7-day cruise we were pretty exhausted when we got home. So, to try & make us both happy I thought a shorter 5 day cruise out of NOLA (about 200 miles closer to our home) would be a better choice plus save some vacation days for DH. I am afraid this trip will be too short but this is just to tied me over until 2010 when I convince DH to fly for the first time for an Eastern or Southern cruise either out of FL or San Juan. Anyway, back to my original question. We splurged on our first cruise and had a balcony cabin. We cannot afford the balcony cabin (suite on the Fantasy) this time so we would do an OV. I'm a bit disappointed that but that is how it must be if we are to go. Does the Fantasy still have a Deli? I saw recent posts that the Imagination has removed their Deli. And does the deli have the hot sandwiches as well (inparticular the Ruben? :p ). I am also a little bit disappointed that the Fantasy does not have Sur Mer. We loved Cozumel and don't mind going back there but I have read mixed reviews on Progresso and not real sure we will enjoy this port but willing to give it a try. And I really interested in seeing NOLA since I have never been there. So, will we be happy sailing out of NOLA on the Fantasy after having sailed the Conquest? TIA

First they are two very different ships. One is big and relatively new (Conquest) we have been on her 3 times now with the forth trip scheduled the 16 of Dec 07, and the other is smaller and older (Fantasy). Second: You can have a great cruise on either one. DW's favorite Carnival ship is Conquest but we have been on 9 cruises now and have enjoyed every one. Our first cruise was on Fantasy - we didn't know anything back then and ended up in one of those port hole rooms on Riviera deck. Did not matter - we loved it and that is why we continue to cruise. We get a balcony every time we do Conquest but have been on several other ships with OV and have loved them as well. No there is nothing like having your own balcony but we to are not going to pay the $$ required for a balcony suite on the other ships.

We did Progrso back in April on the Ecstasy and again in Oct. We were not impressed. Been there twice now and are still not impressed. That place just hasn't grown into the tourist mentality yet. As you can see from viewing the shore excursions there's not a whole lot there. We did no excursions the last trip in Oct. Have talked to others who have been there and loved it. Most as I remember did the beach thing.

I mentioned to DW on our last cruise (Ecstasy) that it was intersting to note that when you are in certain places on the ship there is an awful lot of similarity between the boats and it is tough to tell which one you are on. No the smaller ships do not provide all the stuff the bigger ones do but with the right attitude you will have a great time. Mer Sur is good isn't it? Also enjoy Alfred's and the jazz and the tea and the martini's :)

Hi Christine; long time no see :)

We went on the Ecstasy after doing the Conquest, and I had the same concerns as you. However, we had a fantastic time! Yes, there were some things I missed, mainly Sur Mers! But they do have a sushi bar, a deli, the pizza and whatnot (no supper club). We had putt putt golf on the Ecstasy, and it was fun! Christine, I know your personality from these boards and I am sure you will have a great time. The ship is smaller, but it is still a blast. (We did Cozumel!)

I love the Fantasy class ships. But then, some might say it's just because I haven't been on the larger ships.

But I know me! I'm not a newer & bigger = better kind of person about anything, really.

You're the only one who can say whether the age and size of a ship are important to you!

I'm really particular about a lot of things, but put me on a clean ship with good food, with the sun shining, that takes me to a tropical island, and I'm happy.

I'm much more about the itinerary & cost than I am about the ship.

I'm sure I will love the Miracle and having my 1st balcony. But I have loved every cruise I've been on so far, even the small, old ships, in small inside cabins, that I started out on. They were all GREAT vacations!

It really depends on what is important to you. We loved the Glory and Pride so the recent Fantasy cruise concerned me as well. In general the service and programs are extremely similar on all Carnival ships. On the Fantasy some of the areas seemed more dated (public bathrooms for one) it seemed as though there was some food options missing on the Lido (sliced meats and cheeses) and fewer pools and bars. None of those things bothered us and we had a great time. Because the ship is smaller you tend to run into the same people more frequently which was fun as well.

We have sailed from the largest to the smallest on Carnival and always had a good time. In fact we are headed out on the smallest and oldest in 9 days!

True, the Fantasy won't have some of the amenities that the Conquest has...but you can still enjoy an excellent vacation.

The Fantasy does still have the deli (at least it did when we were on in August). The deli will probably be there until her drydock in Sept 08....so if you sail before that (and want the deli) you should be fine.

It seems the Fantasy class ships are losing the deli as they refit with the Waterworks drydock.

Happy Cruising!!

When we departed from the Conquest we said no more Carnival cruises...just did not seem that much fun as we were expecting....but we did book a five night on the Fantasy just to filll in the time between our last cruise and our next.....and boy did we have a great time! loved it! and now we have booked the Spirit for next year....the Fantasy may be older and smaller but that does not mean less fun....our favorite place to hang out was on in front of the 21st Century Bar....and we do plan on booking some more of the 5 nighters on the Fantasy class ships.

Having just returned from the Fantasy after sailing on the Conquest, I can say with authority, you can have a great time on the Fantasy.

I was very concerned I would be making constant comparisons and that I would be disappointed in the Fantasy. Not the case at all. This ship is maintained very well, everywhere you looked crew members were cleaning and painting and polishing. Everything was in working order, no out of order bathrooms.

I did not eat on the Lido deck, except one day for breakfast, so I really can't comment on that. I actually found the food to be better on the Fantasy than on the Conquest. It is a smaller ship so they feed less people. No entrees were served cold and everything ordered was the proper doneness. We dined in the Celebration dining room, midship at the 6:15 seating. There is no Sur Mer, but the sushi station is good, and so is the Deli (the paninis are delish). There is also a wonderful coffee bar.

Yes the ship is smaller and it is very noticable, but once you get used to it, you'll be fine. The rooms are also smaller, so you will definitely notice a huge difference between your room on the Conquest and your room on the Fantasy.

The ports: Cozumel is wonderful, Progresso not so much. We had a group of 30, the folks that went on excursions in Progresso, wished they would have stayed on the boat. The folks that stayed on the boat said they had a wonderful time. We booked the Reef Club Beach Break, while the resort was nice, it is not worth an hour bus ride there and an hour bus ride back to visit a beach with brown water.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the Fantasy, she exceeded my expectations (I will admit my expectations were pretty low). From reading reviews, it sounds like this ship is hit or miss. She was a hit for us.

I live 45 min from NOLA, and I love the city. You can have a great time there as well.

Happy sailing.

Are the cabins smaller?

My 2 Fantasy cruises & 1 Elation (2 inside; 1 OV) were all 185 sq ft. And we had a huge 1a on Jubilee (R7) that was actually on the outside with no window; up where the hull bends toward the bow. It was an upper/lower and was enormous! Really got a lot of movement when we encountered those 14' swells, though!

I sure was shocked when I boarded the Empress and saw our miniscule (139 sq ft) OV cabin.!

My upcoming Miracle is 185 sq ft (plus 60 sq ft balcony).

I guess it would stand to reason that some of the larger ships may have some larger cabins.

I found 185 sq ft to be more than adequate, even when I sailed with 2 18-year-old girls!

Wow, this is the exact same scenario we are in. Our first cruise was this past September on the Conquest and we are going on the Fantasy in less than two weeks! So, while I can not offer an opinion at this time, the rest of the thread has been quite helpful.

Thanks!

Are the cabins smaller?

My 2 Fantasy cruises & 1 Elation (2 inside; 1 OV) were all 185 sq ft. And we had a huge 1a on Jubilee (R7) that was actually on the outside with no window; up where the hull bends toward the bow. It was an upper/lower and was enormous! Really got a lot of movement when we encountered those 14' swells, though!

I sure was shocked when I boarded the Empress and saw our miniscule (139 sq ft) OV cabin.!

My upcoming Miracle is 185 sq ft (plus 60 sq ft balcony).

I guess it would stand to reason that some of the larger ships may have some larger cabins.

I found 185 sq ft to be more than adequate, even when I sailed with 2 18-year-old girls!

Don't know the stats on the cabin square footage, but the Conquest oceanview was definitely larger than the Sensation oceanview.

Thanks for the site! I looked up the Fantasy and the cat 11 staterooms are 220 sq ft, same as a Conquest Oceanview!

I had a cat 12 on the Fantasy 330 sq ft, it was really roomy almost the size of 2 oceanviews.

I don't know how accurate that site is because it states that the oceanviews with balcony are 186 compared with regular oceanviews at 220. So, the balcony staterooms are smaller????? Basically the cabins are the same size, but part of the stateroom is outside?????? Doesn't seem right to me. Any thoughts???

Our only cruise was last year on the Conquest. We loved the ship/cruise and had a great time. I cannot wait to take another cruise. While my DH had a good time he isn't real excited about taking another cruise so "soon" DH doesn't fly so we had to drive to/from Galveston from NE Missouri. So, with to/from travel time and a 7-day cruise we were pretty exhausted when we got home. So, to try & make us both happy I thought a shorter 5 day cruise out of NOLA (about 200 miles closer to our home) would be a better choice plus save some vacation days for DH. I am afraid this trip will be too short but this is just to tied me over until 2010 when I convince DH to fly for the first time for an Eastern or Southern cruise either out of FL or San Juan. Anyway, back to my original question. We splurged on our first cruise and had a balcony cabin. We cannot afford the balcony cabin (suite on the Fantasy) this time so we would do an OV. I'm a bit disappointed that but that is how it must be if we are to go. Does the Fantasy still have a Deli? I saw recent posts that the Imagination has removed their Deli. And does the deli have the hot sandwiches as well (inparticular the Ruben? :p ). I am also a little bit disappointed that the Fantasy does not have Sur Mer. We loved Cozumel and don't mind going back there but I have read mixed reviews on Progresso and not real sure we will enjoy this port but willing to give it a try. And I really interested in seeing NOLA since I have never been there. So, will we be happy sailing out of NOLA on the Fantasy after having sailed the Conquest? TIA

If you're determined to have a great time, you will!

The Conquest cruise is only a memory. It cannot be repeated by anyone ever! Its over, relish the memory. Then look forward to your next cruise.

So far I've taken 48 FIRST CRUISES, a few times on the same ship. We have even done back to back cruises on the same ship in the same cabin. The second week was totally different from the first.

Which week was better? The week we were living, the other was OVER.

Dan

A cruise is what you make of it.

Our first cruise was on the Fantasy - been on the Conquest twice. As others have said there is a big difference in the size of the ship, number of extras (resturant choices), and the layout - that said - the cabins are the same size - the food is the same - the games are the same and just as fun no matter what ship you are on. An advantage to the Fantasy is you WILL get to see all the ship. I still think there's areas of the Conquest I haven't seen. :rolleyes: . You may feel the movement more - depending on the time of year you are going.

The most important thing I can tell you is - DON'T compare the 2 the entire trip. Each ship has it's charms. While "I" personnally prefer the Conquest class over the Fantasy class I will be taking 2 cruises on the Ecstacy (a Fantasy class) in 2008 and I'm looking forward to both.

You will have a great time, much easier to get around on the Fantasy Class ships, you will run into the same people as compared to the Conquest Class. The cruise is what you make of it, we have sailed from the smallest the Holiday to the largest Glory (Conquest Class) and loved each cruise. You will find a younger group of cruisers on the 5 day as compared to the 7 day, you will have a blast. You will have a wonderful time in New Orleans, we were on the Fantasy for the Halloween sailing and stayed in NOLA 2 days before the cruise, had a great time. Go and enjoy your cruise hopefully you husband will enjoy the 5 day and will want to go on others..

I was on the Conquest on January '07. Loved the ship, but do have to tell you that it is confusing! My first two cruises were on a Fantasy class ship (Elation). Less than 1 month after I disembarked the Conquest I was back off again for my birthday cruise in February '07.

The Fantasy was the closest and cheapest. So, we said ~~ let's give it a try.

Well, I have to be honest and tell you that I compared the two ships the whole time I was on board. I think I saw every spot on the carpet and every broken light fixture. The Fantasy is old compared to the Conquest.

And then when I got off the ship, I said to myself ~~ I LIKE smaller ships. No, this ship didn't have all the glamour and amenities that the Conquest did. Yes, it was older and the rooms were smaller. But, we had a BLAST on the Fantasy!

We had such a terrible (LOL) time, I'm going on her again in 6 more days =)

I have been on the Fantasy 4 times with #5 coming up 12/29/07. I have also been on the Conquest 3 times. Although the larger ships are great I am one of those who prefer the smaller Fantasy class ships. The activites are the same as on the larger ships.

One plus is it doesn't take you as long to figure out your way around the ship.

The deli is all the way aft on the Lido deck-and yes they do have those wonderful Reuben sandwiches.

OK, here's my take on it. I have taken two Conquest cruises and one Glory cruise in the past year. LOVE THOSE SHIPS!! I have also taken one Fantasy cruise. I have to say that my experience on the Fantasy was not the greatest, mostly because we had rough seas, lots of swaying motion on the ship, and I was seasick. Therefore, my opinion of the Fantasy might not be as high as if we had had smooth seas and I could have enjoyed her more. It is a nice ship. I like the layout and the decor. We had excellent service in the dining room.....better than on the Glory (Glory is a sister ship to Conquest and is identical in size and layout).

I have to say that from my experience, and from what I've read here, the atmosphere on the Fantasy is different from that on the Conquest. The Fantasy seems to be more of a party boat, with more of a relaxed, laid back feel to it. The shorter cruises appeal to people who can't afford 7 days on the Conquest. I wouldn't say that it's a different "class of people", but that the majority of the people on the Fantasy seem to be more into partying than those on the Conquest. And the average age seems to be a good bit younger on the Fantasy. I sure hope I'm getting across what I'm trying to say here, without giving you the wrong impression!

Bottom line is, DH and I are cruising on the Ecstasy in Feb. Therefore, we obviously don't "hate" the Fantasy class ships! This will be our first OV, coming down from a cat. 11 on all the others, including the Fantasy. I am going into this Ecstasy cruise with expectations of a different type of experience than what we had on the Conquest and Glory. But this is not to say that I don't expect to enjoy it! It will just be different, that's all. So, go and enjoy the Fantasy, with the knowledge that it is not going to be the same as the Conquest, but it is still a cruise, and you will have fun! The Fantasy IS a good bit smaller than the Conquest. But it's still a BIG ship!! Oh, and be sure to take whatever you need for seasickness, especially if you are in the forward section. ;)

Archived