Alaska

bahama_mama

Its best to go in late June through July for the best weather. However, if you wait until late August and through September the price is cheaper. The best itinerary involves Glacier Bay and in my opinion the Inside Passaqe. The only Norwegian ship to visit

Glacier Bay is the Pearl. Both the Star and Sun do not do Glacier Bay, but Sawyer Glacier in Teal Inlet instead.

1st of all, NCL only does round-trips...seattle and back or vancouver and back. if you are looking for any land tours on the main part of alaska...you need a 1-way on one of the other lines. the 1-way will go between vancouver to either whittier or seward.

of the NCL ships, the only reason i suggest the pearl is...it goes to glacier bay. the other 2 ships go to sawyer/tracy arms. if you go and lurk on the alaska boards, you can learn why. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

we did a round-trip on the NCL star sept 2006...since that time the pearl took over that route. we loved it, very easy to cruise up there and enjoy the sights. we knew we wanted a round trip and knew we wanted to go from seattle.

as far as alaska is concerned..there is no "best", it's all great. you aren't going to see it all the 1st time, no matter what you do. the excursions are very expensive and worth it!!! the port towns can get very crowded with ships and you need to get away from the docks.

depends on what you want to see as to "when", bear watching is july to early sept. more rain in late sept, but less crowds. early may, but too early and some things aren't open yet. june, july and auguest...higher prices, more people...but more do and better chance for good weather.

if it's in your budget to do so, yes...but like i said the excursions are VERY expensive. it you go to glacier bay, get a balcony on the port side..you won't regret it. BUT if it keep you from other things, get what you can afford and get out on deck for the viewings.

glacier landing with dog sledding or a good bear tour can run up to or over $500 pp.

I would recommend to anyone who can afford a trip to AL it is a chance of a lifetime. I went in late May and the weather was beautiful. We had sun 6 out of 7 days. It was in the 60s the whole time. We really lucked out. I think the only way to go is with a balcony especially in AL. It was so relaxing to sit out on the balcony and watch the beauty of nature. It is well worth it. I also found that a balcony was not that much more than an oceanview. Do your research.

We sailed on the Pearl out of Seattle and it was great! It took the Inside Passage with Glacier Bay. I would highly recommend that itinerary.

Good Luck and Happy Sailing!

Archived