Hurricane Ivan Information

CruiseFever

Cancun, and Cozumel reports!!
Yucatan Awaiting Ivan
From: "Grand Cayman Cruise Excursions --Island Marketing Ltd \(Cayman\)--" <webmaster AT grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:30:20 -0500

We are living in Playa Del Carmen, 60 km south of Cancun and directly across from Cozumel. We have only relocated here this past year from the Cayman Islands. We've been watching Ivan as it moved to Cayman as we have family and friends on Cayman and still have not had word from them since last night at 11pm!! We pray that everyone is safe, houses can be repaired, people are a lot more fragile.

Now it looks as though Ivan plans to make a visit to us here as well. Mexico is really a funny place and I can not believe that they have only just issued the a Hurricane watch an hour ago!! No one is prepared or even getting prepared. We look out from our terrace and see people playing on the beach as the waves are the largest I've ever seen them here. On top of this, we just found out that the plywood that was set asside to board up window for our condos has been used for other things and there are not any stores open today to buy plywood!! I feel as though I'm in a twilight zone episode and I'm the only one that realizes that a massive hurricane is quickly approaching! I know that it supposed to make the Northwestward turn but they've been saying that for the past 3 days. It was supposed to turn up way before Grand Cayman and look what happened there!

Right now we sunny skys and the wind picks up from time to time. The ocean has risen a little and is coming up much higher on the beach and the waves are starting to build. Hopefully we will be luckier then Cayman and it will turn north before it comes this far.

Our prayers are with everyone in Grand Cayman.

Tracy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Tropical Wave
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:41:23 -0700 (PDT)

Good Morning! From the Mexican east coast across from Cozumel ~ we awoke this morning to a cloudy sky and distant thunder. A brief rainstorm has moved over, but the main part of the storm is still offshore, growing closer every minute. The thunder is louder and the dog is more nervous, but it appears on radar and in the reports that it will only be a thunderstorm and showers. It's been a very hot and humid spring and summer so far, a rainstorm will be refreshing. Have a great day!

Linda L. Gosslin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Cozumel Update
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:43:00 -0400

The water has receeded and the flooding, for the most part, has been reduced
to a few large puddles. I have to emphazise that the majority of the damage
was away form the hotel zones and really did not inconvenience tourists. In
fact, we had 2 ships arrive on Monday with thousands of people ready to
enjoy the island.

We are expecting scattered clouds and hot temperatures for the remainder of
the week and the slight possibility of T-storms due to the humidity.

They pegged the damage of the storm at close to $1 million with 2 confirmed
deaths. 1 male and sadly, 1 child. No news on the plane that was lost so
we can assume that the landing, either deliberate or as a crash, was done
without injuries.

Things are pretty well back to normal, so enjoy your vacation while you are
here!!!!!

- Storm update
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:22:31 -0400

We had our share of rough weather here last night. Moderate winds, extreme
rainfall and plenty of lightning accompanied the storm.

When it all ended at about 11am we had widespread flooding with most
westward neighbourhoods totally secluded with flooded streets totalling 3
feet or so. Along with this was isolated flooding throughout most other
parts including the Corpus Christie area where some flood waters were 5 feet
deep. The road to the north hotel zone was flooded out and totally
impassable with waters up to 5 feet approximately.

The Cozumel airport has been closed due to flooding and we lost a small
plane last night as it attempted to land. There is no news as of yet of any
survivors or the exact location of the plane, although 1 tree near the
airport had it's top leaves cut off.

Internet access has been restored along with foreign TV stations like ABC,
CBS and NBC.

Cozumel206132004.jpg
Cozumel 06132004.jpg

- Cozumel Update
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:38:18 -0400

We have been experiencing the effects of a low pressure system that has been
very slow moving for the past few days through the Caribbean. The rain
started on June 10 and is expected until June 14. The low has shown some
upper level rotation, but it WILL NOT develop into anything in the Gulf of
Mexico. We should expect some normal t-storms and steady showers with winds
about 5-10mph with occasional light gusts.

Graeme

Thanks, Rick. The main reason I post about the Islands, Is the Islanders report to each other. They think no one cares what is happening to them. That all the news is what happens to the United States, and they are forgotten. I dissagree. I think many people here care about them, and even if they cannot afford to donate, at the very least we have prayers going there from all over the country. While money will make them more comfortable, Our prayers may keep some alive!!

Another one??????
Jeanne?

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:29:56 -0400

There is something else developing right at our doorsteps tonight and the
computer models hint that this could be the "next one". A low pressure
centre is trying to form near 15n 56w or about 350 miles east of Martinique.
Whether is strenghens or not, a marked increase in the winds and the rains
should be anticipated from Barbados northward from tonight.

Sue I just wanted to say thank you so much for all your links and updates. They have been so helpful! The Princess board is the second site I check after the NOAA site. :D

I just got back from Home Depot buying plywood. Every place in Pensacola who sells plywood was sold out. I work for a contractor and couldn't get any! However, I happen to be at the right place at the right time at Home Depot. I stood in line for over an hour then they sold out but another truck was on the way. They didn't know when it would arrive. The line was all the way from the back of the store to the front AND all the way out to the parking lot...almost the entire length. They told us as long as the truck arrived before the store closed, they would stay open until they sold out that shipment. We waited another two hours and 15 minutes before the stored closed, the truck arrived..yeaaa! Fortunately there were no ugly scenes...the Sheriff's department as well as the local news media was there. I guess no one wanted to be caught on camera making a moron of themselves LOL :D

It is so sad tho. We go through all this hell, and we don't even know yet where it will hit. I don't want it to hit anywhere!!! Down here we haven't even put stuff away from Frances. Just left it. We put it all away after Charley, and took it right back out. Now I'll put it away after October!!! :eek:

So far the hurricane had effected every port for my Dec cruise. If it hits Cancun and Cozumel I know it will then head straight for Galveston. This is the craziest hurricane I have ever seen. At least the guys at the hurricane center are trying to figure it out. Its funny the news stations are now having to move reporters around because its not going where they thought it would. Giraldo doesn't quite know what to say anymore.

Sue,

Check out the forecast graphics from this hurricane site which was suggested elsewhere:

[QUOTE] Hi Hurricane Watchers..

Here is an alternative website for hurricane predictions run
by a hurricane researcher at the University of Miami. It has
been posted that their predictions have been more accurate
than those of the National Hurricane Center.

The University of Miami has both graduate and undergraduate
courses in meteorology and for many years the National
Hurricane Center was based on the campus of the University
of Miami. The University has an extensive hurricane research
program. Here is the website: [url="http://www.nwhhc.com/"][color=#800080]www.nwhhc.com[/color][/url].
--
Peter Berlin [/QUOTE]

I am so sorry to hear about Grand Cayman. We have been there before and I was looking forward to stopping there again when we go on our Panama Canal cruise in December. My heart goes out to everyone on this island. It is one of my favorite islands to visit.

Prayers to the Cayman Islands and all the others in it's path.

I saw on tv that Cuba had underground tunnel shelters built in the 1970's when Nixon was Pres, and that they had never used them but would if Ivan made a direct hit.

The path looks like it is now headed to Pensacola or Mobile. Prayers....

I 1st read stormcarib & then storm2k message board. Then I come here to find out what is happening. I can see that everyone who reads this post can get much information to help them decide what to do. I hope this is the last hurricane for this year.

I also feel so bad for Grand Cayman. We have been there 3 times & love to go there. Our 1st time we went on an island tour. It was 1 week before Hurricane Michelle passed within 100 miles of it. We had seen the Turtle Farm & found out it was destroyed. We went back again in Nov. 2003. We went back to see the Turtle Farm. They moved it across the road so it was not right on the water. I haven't read anything yet, but I would be surprised if it survived Ivan.

Gail

Archived