Sales in the Gift Shops?

teacher2cruiser

When we sailed with Royal Caribbean, they had a sale the last night on tshirts and such in the gift shop........they even brought out boxes of things at a reduced price......does Norwegian do the same?
Yes,hey do, I am sure the deals are all that great but yes. In fact there also is a deal (one day) when latitude members get 10% off or something like that. I am not quite sure as I don't buy much in the gift shops, but the specials are there toward the end of the cruise.

Nita

Yes, tables set up in the Atrium almost every night.

The last evening it is like a flea-market! No ambiance left in the beautiful atrium:( Photographers set-up every evening and then the markets.

Probably my only complaint about NCL.

Keep the flea-markets in the stores and give the d*#* photographers their own room.

Leave the atrium and walkways open for guests:mad:

Photographers set-up every evening and then the markets.

Probably my only complaint about NCL.

Keep the flea-markets in the stores and give the d*#* photographers their own room.

Therefore, is it possible to purchase ALL of your pictures on the last evening? Or only pics from the end of the cruise?

If so, what sort of discounts are given on this last night?

Therefore, is it possible to purchase ALL of your pictures on the last evening? Or only pics from the end of the cruise?

Yes. We wait until the last night to see which one we like the best. We don't do a lot of pic purchases normally just one of us and maybe another with any friends that have gone along. I don't recall any discounts unless there may be an overpriced package discount.

All pics., will still be there until you leave the ship.

Haven't done it BUT you can purchase the pics., on the debarkation day AM;)

The first or second night on the Pearl they had a 20% off sale on Swarovski items. I don't know why, I must have missed the "one day" part and asked if they'd run the sale again- they said no. I wanted to buy a few items for Xmas gifts. I would think they'd move more stuff if they ran the sale toward the end of the cruise , but who knows? Maybe they did this on purpose.

They also sold the $10 items (costume jewelry, evening purses, sunglasses, belts, hair accessories) for $7 on the second to last night.

You all are aware that the shops are a concession and pretty much the same thing on most cruise lines except that the names/logos are changed to whatever cruise line you are on. Same sales too like clock work although its the first I heard that latitudes gets a discount.

Duty free is one of those misnomers although the Alcohol is sold free of any excise taxes(state local etc) so is much less expensive. Jewelery and all items are subject to duty ie. first $ duty free(can be combined with you fellow traveler) next 1000 flat 10% etc. lose jewels no duty handicrafts no duty but large purchases are reported(as on the ones on shore at most shops- they get a bounty if you fail to report it)...

Its clearly sales/use tax free(which you are supposed to report to your home state and pay the tax on if it has such taxes---yeah right any one want to buy a bridge---slightly used)

We were on the Pride of Aloha NCLA last month. Latitudes members got 10% off the entire curise. You had to be sure to remind them. They also had a frequent purchase card you got stamped for each dollar you spent. You got to bring that down on the last morning and get trinkets off the table. Unfortunately I sent all my filled cards with my husband and the clerk told him she had never seen someone get so many. She did not believe him they were all mine! Yikes, too many sea days.

You had to be careful to shop when the ship was not in port or you would be charged tax.

They had a small duty free section for alcohol and cigs. Not great prices like the others.

They also had a sale table the tnire cruise and a sale table one afternoon which I missed.

I found the Pearl carries one corner that is always $10, it is the brand Bijoux Turner(I think) and is hats, wallets, purses...

Happy Shopping.

Agree with smeyer418 and NoPiratesPlease, however sometimes paying duty is not as bad as you fear. On a recent Jewel cruise I purchased a bracelet for my wife in Colombian Emeralds in the Galleria store onboard for $3500. I noted it on our customs declaration and thought I would be liable for a couple of hundred dollars in duty.

While we were going through immigration the officer noted the declaration and took us behind to a small area with other customs/immigration officials. They actually showed us a print out from the ship that highlighted the purchase together with our name and cabin number. It was only a 3-day cruise so there were not many names on the list. In any event as we hadn’t purchased anything else the officer informed me that we each had an $800 allowance, including our 12-year old son, and we could pool all three allowances giving us a $2400 reduction on the bracelet. The remaining $1100 was taxable and charged at 3.3% on the first $1000 and 4.4% on the remaining $100, giving me a total tax bill of $37.40 and a pleasant surprise. The officer also gave me a receipt to show that we had paid duty in case needed when returning from future overseas trips.

We were very satisfied.

Agree with smeyer418 and NoPiratesPlease, however sometimes paying duty is not as bad as you fear. On a recent Jewel cruise I purchased a bracelet for my wife in Colombian Emeralds in the Galleria store onboard for $3500. I noted it on our customs declaration and thought I would be liable for a couple of hundred dollars in duty.

While we were going through immigration the officer noted the declaration and took us behind to a small area with other customs/immigration officials. They actually showed us a print out from the ship that highlighted the purchase together with our name and cabin number. It was only a 3-day cruise so there were not many names on the list. In any event as we hadn’t purchased anything else the officer informed me that we each had an $800 allowance, including our 12-year old son, and we could pool all three allowances giving us a $2400 reduction on the bracelet. The remaining $1100 was taxable and charged at 3.3% on the first $1000 and 4.4% on the remaining $100, giving me a total tax bill of $37.40 and a pleasant surprise. The officer also gave me a receipt to show that we had paid duty in case needed when returning from future overseas trips.

We were very satisfied.

I find the customs agents mostly ok when you put it down and they will do everything they can to make it as little as possible. One time coming back we put everything down including about a dozen bottles of wine. They clearly would have fallen under the $ exception but not the liquid one. Since I had put them down we had a discussion of this and he went to calculate how much was due....it was $3.14...he said just go on its not worth the paperwork....

I don't understand why there would ever be duty free on the Pride's. You never leave the US territorial waters of Hawaii...

Archived