Need some opinions on Alaska cruise.

chemist661

I am looking at a couple of dates. I don't want to spend alot of $$. The cruises are as follows:

Got online prices for the following cruises:

April 27 6 day on Star.

Balcony BD $818 including all taxes, etc.

Jr Suite AF $902 including all taxes, etc.

May 17 7 day on Star.

Obstructed Oceanview G $756 including all taxes. (have this one on hold until later today.

Next available oceanview is D. Cost $850 including all taxes.

I want your opinions on these choices. Cruising in June/July/August is quite expensive relative to these prices.

Thank you.

april is way too early for alaska, go over to the alaska boards..the guy that lives in the area (yukon) will tell you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

usually many things still closed. car rental in skagway doesn't start until may 15th, even the tourist train ..also skagway, doesn't start until may 15th. if you want wildlife watching, check the websites for the towns to see when they are available. no bear watching tours (for inside passage) until july to early sept.

last year, the web cam at mendenhall glacier (juneau) showed a iced over lake until after june. people who went to emerald lake (above skagway) only saw snow, no emerald colored lake.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

http://www.skagway.com/

the star goes to tracy arms/sawyer glaciers, every cruise ship (last year) was blocked (by ice) from getting within viewing range of the glaciers. several times they changed the route to another area for their glacier viewing. after june, ships started being able to see the glaciers.

may is suppose to have great weather...might be cooler, but less rain.

I understand you not wanting to spend a lot of money, but Alaska is well worth the money. And if you go on either of the dates you are looking at, you will miss so much (especially the April one) and won't really have had the full Alaskan cruise experience. Besides the things already mentioned that aren't open, the ships won't be able to get very close to glaciers because the water will be too full of ice.

I have gone to Alaska in June and in Sept. Early Sept. was great for glacier viewing and it was a good price. You might check Sept. prices. Everything was opened.

To save money you might try an inside cabin during a peak month. The best views are up on the deck so it is okay not to have a window. In June, I needed my winter coat, hat, gloves, and rain poncho. It was worth it to be out on the deck taking in all of the amazing sights and sounds. Too windy for an umbrella.

We did the Star to Alaska in Sept. it was the last cruise of the season. We lucked out on weather and all the tour guides were all hyped because it was end of season so they were non stop talking, they were great.

Also the stores in all the ports had a lot of their mdse 40/50/60% off.

Can't wait to go back but next time will be 1 way cruise instead of return trip.

I have taken the Alaska trip twice on HAL - once in April and once in late July. I got really lucky and had fantastic weather in April but that is probably a flike. I did enjoy not having very many people around when in port (besides my fellow cruisers, that is). The biggest problem I had with going that early is it is practically light all night long. I found it really hard to get decent rest - mostly because I knew it was light outside and I had a nagging feeling I was missing something! Alaska is worth every penny, no matter when you go. It is truly one of the most beautiful places on early but I do agree - try to go later in the year just to be more certain the weather will be acceptable.

I agree that the April cruise is too early. Not only will you most likely have weather issues, but several of the attractions probably won't be open yet. One that comes to mind is the train in Skagway -- if that earliest sailing even goes to Skagway.

I would disagree, however that the May 17th trip is also too early. We sailed on 5/19 last year on the Pearl and had better weather than we did in early June of 2004. There is no guarantee of that, obviously. It's Alaska and many of the towns are in a temperate rain forest, so you frequently get rain. You may have issues with getting to the Sawyer Glaciers, but that's not a given even in the middle of the summer. When we were there in May last year, there mountains were still beautifully covered with snow -- later on in the year, that will be gone.

One thing that will definitely not be available is the bear watching excursions, which don't start until later in the summer. You could get lucky and see one -- we did on the road from Skagway to Carcross, but any of the actual excursions won't have started yet.

I am booked on the Star, May 31 sailing. Price is still less than peak season starting in June. Also, Pearl, a newer NCL ship, sails the next day and is quite a bit more expensive. That keeps the price more reasonable on the Star. I have been to AK twice before, both times in July, peak season. One time we nearly froze to death, and the other we were in shirtsleeves the whole time. That's why I booked the less expensive cruise this time and hope we get lucky with the weather. I am taking my daughter and 12 year old grandson. Hope you will join us. Just be prepared for rain and layer your clothes.

After some thinking, I ended up booking the August 30, 2008 sailing on the Star. Price was good. Weather should be OK & works out better schedule wise. Labor Day is during this sailing & I have the next day off from work. Only will use 3 days of vacation time. :)

Paid $885pp all in. (only $120pp more than the May 17 sailing). Booked oceanview G GTY. Weather should be OK during this time.

One nice thing is final payment date is June 6, 08. If some peak summer cruises go on sale after their final payments, I could book one of those & apply my deposit to the new cruise. (maybe wishful thinking but can't hurt to think of options. :) ).

Thank you for your input & opinions.

Archived