Debark schedule Venice Sept 13,2008

jimlssi

We are booked for the 8/23/08 Istanbul to Venice voyage. At the end of the voyage,the ship docks in Venice at 7am. Do you think that a 10am departure flight is within reason, or would you go with the 11:30 flight? I do not know where the ship docks, but if it is way out at the end of the lagoon, using a water taxi (or even the ship's transfer) will definitely require more time. The 10 am flight sure would be nice because the connections all the way home (to Saint Simons Island, Georgia) are better. Information from anyone who has debarked there would be appreciated. This will be #3 on Seabourn for us. Thanks,

Jim

Can't specifically answer your question but consider the following: The docks in Venice (Bacino della Stazione Marritima) are right next to the bridge which connects Venice to the mainland. So the question is how long will it take you to get off the ship, get to the terminal, pick up your luggage, clear customs, and then wait in line for a taxicab. Its approximately 10 miles to Aeroporto Marco Polo.

Hi Jim!

I would never advise a 10.00 o'clock flight from any airport after a cruise! Do you know you are expected to be at the airport 2 hours in advance? OK a little later can be done. But it certainly would cause you a lot of stress to get there in time and do you need that after your relaxing cruise? Sometimes a ship docks a Little later and what happens then?

Go for the later flight.

Marja

I think even the 11:30 flight is pushing it. I wouldn't even consider the 10:00. Even on the off-chance you do make the flight, it's going to be 3 hours of pure hell and maximum stress. My rule of thumb is docking time plus 6 hours. If there's something around 12:30 or 1:00, that should be just about right.

Can't specifically answer your question but consider the following: The docks in Venice (Bacino della Stazione Marritima) are right next to the bridge which connects Venice to the mainland. So the question is how long will it take you to get off the ship, get to the terminal, pick up your luggage, clear customs, and then wait in line for a taxicab. Its approximately 10 miles to Aeroporto Marco Polo.

I do`nt think Andy is a Seabourn cruiser but is used to larger ships. Seabourn docks at San Basilio not the docks he says and is a little further away. I doubt you can get off the ship before 08.00. A specially organised taxi can get you to the airport 30/40 minutes. You have to allow 60/90 minutes for book in and other necessities. I would not book a flight before 11.00 to feel safe. I would like to get the 11.30 to Gatwick but Club is full already so we are staying the night and flying back on Sunday to take the pressures away. Look forward to seeing on an interesting cruise. It will be our 10th Seabourn cruise from whom we have`nt deviated since our first in 2003 although I am ashamed to say we are on QM2 in May 2008 from NYC to Southampton. We do`nt like big ships.:cool:

I do`nt think Andy is a Seabourn cruiser but is used to larger ships. Seabourn docks at San Basilio not the docks he says and is a little further away. I doubt you can get off the ship before 08.00. A specially organised taxi can get you to the airport 30/40 minutes. You have to allow 60/90 minutes for book in and other necessities. I would not book a flight before 11.00 to feel safe. I would like to get the 11.30 to Gatwick but Club is full already so we are staying the night and flying back on Sunday to take the pressures away. Look forward to seeing on an interesting cruise. It will be our 10th Seabourn cruise from whom we have`nt deviated since our first in 2003 although I am ashamed to say we are on QM2 in May 2008 from NYC to Southampton. We do`nt like big ships.:cool:

You won't like the QM2 Either :eek:

We will probably overnight in Venice to take a less stressful flight home the next day. We have spent time in Venice before so do not need to stay in the tourist area of the city. Any suggestions on a good hotel near the airport. I notice a Courtyard by Marriott located 1km from the airport. Thanks

Jim

You are absolutely correct, most recent cruise was Regent Seven Seas to Venice. But.... we are now booked on Seaborn Odyssey in October 2009 !

We will probably overnight in Venice to take a less stressful flight home the next day. We have spent time in Venice before so do not need to stay in the tourist area of the city. Any suggestions on a good hotel near the airport. I notice a Courtyard by Marriott located 1km from the airport. Thanks

Jim

Maybe Holiday Inn

Venice East-Quatro D`Altino

:cool:

Where is the San Basilio dock relative to the bridge, and is the ship docking on the mainland or the "island" side of the lagoon? When you disembark, do you make your way immediately via ground based transfer, or first by water, then by land? Thanks,

Jim

Where is the San Basilio dock relative to the bridge, and is the ship docking on the mainland or the "island" side of the lagoon? When you disembark, do you make your way immediately via ground based transfer, or first by water, then by land? Thanks,

Jim

San Basilio is in Dorsoduro district and is the furthest place land transport goes.You w`ont have to sail or swim but can take bus or taxi to airport or near airport hotel. San Marco or other districts need water travel or walking. :cool:

Jim

Go into http://www.venice-limousine.com/venice_limousine_articles which will explain everthing. Highlight little map and you will see San Basilio.

We will be on the March 30th Pride from Lisboa to Venice. Since we've spent a lot of time in Venice, our plan is to tour Padua, Verona, etc. We want to stay near the railroad station. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in that area? ;)

The venice limo site did indeed answer my question about location of the dock. Also, it provided us with a solution for our day after leaving the ship and before checking into the hotel that same afternoon. We will hire venice limo service for a tour of the islands by private boat, which we did not get to do on our previous visit. I have decided to go with Courtyard by Marriott for the over night because it is only about one mile (directly across the highway) from the airport, and has excellent current reviews. You have been a great help. Thanks,

Jim

Archived