Buried Village - Rotorua

whiskers9

I will vote YES on this one. I have been there twice ... once as a kid and again when we moved to Rotorua with my children. I understood the importance of the site more as an adult and found it far more interesting than seeing mud and geysers.

the website if anyone is interested

http://www.buriedvillage.co.nz/

:)

Kia ora i Rotorua,

You say you've lived in Rotorua and only been there twice! I am NZ born & can say that I have been to the Buried village many times. When you look accross Lake Tarawera to Mt Tarawera you can only imagine how much power there was to split the mountain in two and bury buildings many miles away with ash from the eruption. Having said that Rotorua owes its boiling mud pools, geysers etc. to the fact that the whole area is a 'volcanic zone'. Yes, well worth a visit if you have the time. Perhaps we like the place because we made our decision to move from Wellington to Rotorua while sitting in the Buried Village tearooms, having lived in Auckland, Tauranga, Hamilton, Dunedin & Wellington. Let us know if I can help further,

ka kite ano

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

Yes the buried village is a great tour and lake Tarawera close by is a great place to spend the day we have just been to pompei and found it all a bit ho hum it was so old and ruins were similar to others in greece italy and turkey With the buried village the scenery surrounding the site is so picturesque and I really liked the guided tour even went out to tarawera afterwards to see if I could see the ghost canoe rowing across the lake A flight over the lake is also a great trip on a fine day you can see where the pink and white terraces were buried anyway enjoy your time in Rotorua

Kia ora i Rotorua,

You say you've lived in Rotorua and only been there twice!

hehe well three times actually .... one day I had to work there

Like you I moved from Wellington ..... I had to help set up a company there for 2 years and moved back once DW got home sick

Aquarians ... do we tell them now locals get in free?

good review joybelles ..... you said it all in heaps better words than mine

:)

Yes the buried village is a great tour and lake Tarawera close by is a great place to spend the day we have just been to pompei and found it all a bit ho hum it was so old and ruins were similar to others in greece italy and turkey With the buried village the scenery surrounding the site is so picturesque and I really liked the guided tour even went out to tarawera afterwards to see if I could see the ghost canoe rowing across the lake A flight over the lake is also a great trip on a fine day you can see where the pink and white terraces were buried anyway enjoy your time in Rotorua

That was part of my concern as we had been to Pompeii last year also and didn't know how it would compare. Thanks!

Archived