Diving with Royal Caribbean ship excursions St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Barbados Aug 2004

Tracy1

Diving info:

Mon. Aug. 30 St Thomas: We pre-booked a dive excursion with the ship. $90 per person. They used a dive shop right on the Pier, Underwater Safaris. (http://www.scubadivevi.com) Diane met us and she was very personable and knowledgeable, a fantastic host. I’d love to go diving with her again. There were only 4 certified divers with 1 dive master, Katie and 2 discover scuba students with Diane so it was a great experience. We’ve heard that there are often around 40 divers on the boat but maybe that’s in the busy season. One of the divers with us went diving with them last week (he did a back to back cruise) and said that it was a small group last week too. We went on two 35 minute dives (Taos Reef and Cartanser Sr. Wreck). The Reef was beautiful with lots of coral and lots of colorful fish. We saw an 18” diameter sea turtle hanging out on the ocean floor feeding. We got really close to him and he paid us no mind. We also saw fish that burrow into the sand and some really beautiful bright vivid purple tall coral. At the wreck we saw sergeant major fish guarding their eggs that looked like purple paint splotches on the side of the wreck. We also saw two 3’ barracudas, and a hiding lobster. I would do these dives again.

Thurs. Sept. 2 St. Lucia: We pre-booked scuba diving excursion with the ship. This was a 6 hour lunch included trip for $120 per person. (http://www.scubastlucia.com) Because it’s at Anse Chastnet, it’s about a 45 min. boat ride from the pier. It’s beautiful scenery on the boat ride and the dive shop location and dive sites are absolutely gorgeous, right next to the Pitons! I was kicking myself for not bringing my good camera. Next time I will and I will definitely do this excursion again if I get a chance. When we arrived at the dive shop, they had our tanks/regulators/bcs all ready to go set out on the sidewalk with our name written in chalk in front of them (very organized). We were divided up into 2 groups; 8 people with one dive master and 7 with the other dive master. They checked us on two skills (buoyancy check and mask clearing) before they would take us on the first dive which was a beach dive. This dive was great as was the 2nd boat dive. After the dives they took us to the beach where they had dropped off the snorkelers earlier. There we walked a little ways through the jungle to a pavilion for the buffet lunch. The food was ok (grilled chicken and fish, pasta, salad, bland rice, bland canned beans) except for the awesome carrot cake but the setting made up for it. We then had about 45 min. to lounge around on the beach or go snorkeling before heading back. I’m looking forward to coming back and doing this excursion again sometime.

Fri. Sept. 3 Barbados: We pre-booked scuba excursion through the ship $90 per person. They met us at the pier and took us by vans to the dive shop. (http://www.barbados.org/diving/westsidescuba) You need to leave everything but your dive gear in the lockers at this shop because they don’t have a dock and you have to wade chest high out to the boat holding your dive gear over your head to get on the boat. They really should do something about this. Then you have to hook up your regulator and bc to your tank. For the cost, they really should do this for you. We went on 2 reef dives; 8 people with 1 dive master and 9 people with the other dive master. Visibility was not as good as St. Thomas and St. Lucia but it was ok. On the 2nd dive we swam with a 1’ diameter turtle for about 10 minutes (very cool). We saw spotted eels, puffer fish, centipede like worms, lots of tree coral and other coral and lots of fish. After the dive was were brought back to the pier in the vans.

Archived