First cruise, new gown, too much?

Dee777

Thank you, HeavySurf... I might mention, that is NOT me in the dress lol. I should look so good! I originally bought the dress for a fireman's ball we were invited to, and that was the one and only time I wore it. I was thinking about buying a dress for the cruise and D H suggested I take that one. Whether he liked me in it, or just wants to save the $$$ I'm not 100% sure :D.

My only concern is being too "done up", I don't want to look out of place!

Thanks again!

Dee

I think it will be just perfect. I am one of those that love to really dress up for formal night. Being the mother of two and married for 14 years, don't go many places that you can really dress up. The gown I bought for the crusie I am taking in January is totally beaded fron neck to toes! Whatever you wear, just have fun!:D

CruisingToo, I know what you mean! While I am only 43, I have been married 25 years, and all of our three kids are grown up and moved on. We live in a small town, pop. 5,000 and there just aren't THAT many opportunities where a girl can dress up without looking out of place. I DO like to dress up and was hoping that the cruise was going to be my time to do it. I just didn't want to look like I was trying to be Cinderella for a night lol.

Dee

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627140

You might want to check this thread to get an idea of what others have worn. If this link doesn't work, just scroll down on this forum and look for Post a Picture of Your Dress. There's a similiar thread under Picture Gallery on the main board.

Thank you very much!

You will not be out of place, I see many women dressed in these types of gowns.

I only took a full on gown like that once, for my daughter, not myself. I will never do it again as it was a packing nightmare, took up half a garment bag, a major part of the very small closet and it ended up that she hated wearing the dress (she was almost 13 at the time, but full grown). I got the dress off Ebay for about $20 which was the good part, I didn't mind throwing it into the Goodwill bag the moment we returned home. I almost just left it on the ship, but didn't want to burden the room attendant with it.

Knits and microfiber fabrics are the way to go when travelling. They can be dressy, they come in colors, they are easy to pack and don't wrinkle. And...you don't look like a prom queen or a bridesmaid.

But, if you love the dress and love how you feel in it, go ahead with your plans to wear it and disregard my post :)

You will not be out of place, I see many women dressed in these types of gowns.

I only took a full on gown like that once, for my daughter, not myself. I will never do it again as it was a packing nightmare, took up half a garment bag, a major part of the very small closet and it ended up that she hated wearing the dress (she was almost 13 at the time, but full grown). I got the dress off Ebay for about $20 which was the good part, I didn't mind throwing it into the Goodwill bag the moment we returned home. I almost just left it on the ship, but didn't want to burden the room attendant with it.

Knits and microfiber fabrics are the way to go when travelling. They can be dressy, they come in colors, they are easy to pack and don't wrinkle. And...you don't look like a prom queen or a bridesmaid.

But, if you love the dress and love how you feel in it, go ahead with your plans to wear it and disregard my post :)

I appreciate your honesty, and that is what I was looking for, all aspects of bringing and wearing a dress such as the one I posted! Yes, I like the dress, and yes, I imagine it will be a pain to bring! I generally pack light when travelling, and as we are both allowed 2 bags each on the plane, figured we could put the dress and DH's suit in one bag together, then each have our own bag for the rest. I'm sorry the gown for your daughter didn't work out- I remember my daughters at 13 years old (they are twins), and they were so darn fickle at that age! I remember buying one of them a dress she just HAD to have, and when time came to wear it, she hated it and wouldn't wear it. I could have... well, you can imagine what I could have done to her! Anyway, thank you for your input.

Dee

I appreciate your honesty, and that is what I was looking for, all aspects of bringing and wearing a dress such as the one I posted! Yes, I like the dress, and yes, I imagine it will be a pain to bring! I generally pack light when travelling, and as we are both allowed 2 bags each on the plane, figured we could put the dress and DH's suit in one bag together, then each have our own bag for the rest. I'm sorry the gown for your daughter didn't work out- I remember my daughters at 13 years old (they are twins), and they were so darn fickle at that age! I remember buying one of them a dress she just HAD to have, and when time came to wear it, she hated it and wouldn't wear it. I could have... well, you can imagine what I could have done to her! Anyway, thank you for your input.

Dee

I wish I had the money that I have spent on my daughter for clothes that were never worn. Things she had to have :rolleyes:

Thanks for taking my post the right way, so many times on here people get the wrong idea when you don't post all rosy and bright. I prefer to know I have spinach in my teeth, or my shirt is stuck into the back of my pants when the rest is untucked, or that there are perhaps other choices you may not have thought of. Being honest with each other is really far more being a friend than just allowing another person to make mistakes so you don't hurt feelings. When people here ask for opinions, that is what they want, at least that is how I think of it.

I wish I had the money that I have spent on my daughter for clothes that were never worn. Things she had to have :rolleyes:

Thanks for taking my post the right way, so many times on here people get the wrong idea when you don't post all rosy and bright. I prefer to know I have spinach in my teeth, or my shirt is stuck into the back of my pants when the rest is untucked, or that there are perhaps other choices you may not have thought of. Being honest with each other is really far more being a friend than just allowing another person to make mistakes so you don't hurt feelings. When people here ask for opinions, that is what they want, at least that is how I think of it.

^^^ Great reply!! I feel the same way!

I think the dress is pretty. I wouldn't personally wear it because of the hassle of packing but then again I am not suffering for occasions to get dressed up. If I were, then I wouldn't care if anybody thought I was trying to be Cinderella!! I say if you can pack it and you like the way you look and feel in it than go for it!! Post pictures when you get back!

I agree with Happy Ks.

It's a lovely dress and just perfect for your cruise and I can certainly understand your wanting to get another wearing out of it.

If you can pack it without a big hassle, wear it. If packing it seems to be an albatross around your neck, find something that takes up less luggage space.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you all for replying! It has given me the confidence to decide that I will take the dress. It is so difficult to put myself in the frame of mind that others will be dressing themselves up to the "nines" for formal night, when where I live we're lucky to dress up once or twice a year, unless we're on vacation!

And I do SO like to dress up when I can, makes me feel really special!

Thank you again!

Dee

Yes, I am flying, but I generally travel light. The second dress I have for the second formal night is a light dress, so won't take up much space. The capris and pants and other sundresses I am bringing I can throw into one bag. My husband is taking one bag, and we thought we could put the dressy dress and his suit into one bag, and each have one OTHER bag and call it good! (for a total of 3 bags) We can have the laundry service on the ship take care of pressing out any wrinkles in the suit and dress, I am hoping! Either that, or I can take on a portable steamer if this is allowed, will check with Carnival about that too.

Dee

That looks almost exactly like one of my formals last time. I just brought my garment bag and it held my two formals, my mom's formals, and one of my grandma's formal tops. It takes a little bit of creativity in packing the garment bag, but once we played with it for a little bit and got it figured out, it all fit fine and was even under the allowed weight. One tip I have is to put everything in the garment bag in plastic dry cleaner bags and that way they won't wrinkle very much if at all. And if it does wrinkle, you can always send it out to be pressed, but my feeling is if there is a very minimal amount of wrinkling, it will probably wrinkle that much while I am wearing it.

Dress to the nines and feel like Cinderella. You won't be out of place and actually, imo, the people who look most out of place are the ones who are dressed casually on formal nights.

Yes, dry cleaner bags are the way to go to eliminate wrinkling. I'd put one on the hanger first, hang the dress over it, then place a second one over the top as well. Use a second hanger for the skirt part of the dress, the kind with the sticky bar made for slacks if you don't have a garment bag long enough for the gown.

I think it was Jane 110 that gave this packing tip years ago.

Thank you both SO much for the packing tips! I sent the dress along with DH's suit, to the dry cleaner's on Friday. When I pick them up, I will ask for an extra bag or two for packing purposes! Thank you again, the advice is much appreciated!

Dee:)

Yes, dry cleaner bags are the way to go to eliminate wrinkling. I'd put one on the hanger first, hang the dress over it, then place a second one over the top as well. Use a second hanger for the skirt part of the dress, the kind with the sticky bar made for slacks if you don't have a garment bag long enough for the gown.

I think it was Jane 110 that gave this packing tip years ago.

Yup, that was my packing tip. And I also hang my gowns that way in the closet, which eliminates stressing the fabric at the shoulder.

Archived