Upcoming Mariner And Sovereign Cruises

Host Mike

Does anyone have the latest info on the Port reopening??? We need to keep on top of that, because that will affect our sailings greatly.

I haven't heard anything new since yesterday, have any of you?

From an article in today's issue of Florida Today (Brevard county's newspaper.)

" ...The Coast Guard, the Army Corps of Engineers, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration are teaming up to determine the extent of damages to Port Canaveral - and start the repaor process. The survey, which determines how deep the port's channel is, should be completed by today."

The article further states that, they have stressed the gravity of the situation to the Army Corps of Engineers and "The follow-up, as far as action is, is based on the survey. It's a federal navigation channel, so it will be their repsonsibility to clear the channel. Then it's critical to repair the aids to navigation - the buoys - which show where the channel is, and then to finish the survey, to show how deep the channel is."

_______

Bottom line is, it appears they haven't started the dredging yet, and I don't think they know just how long it will take once they get started.

Ships waiting off the coast for reentry include those carrying lumber and concrete badly needed for rebuilding efforts in the aftermath of the storms. Also ships carrying fuel to run the area's power plants. Cruise ships continue to use alternate arrival and departure ports. Navy ships also use this channel.

It just doesn't sound - to me - like port repairs are gonna be completed overnight.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone at the port would be doing any foot-dragging on this. Brevard county has too much at stake to have this last even one more day than it has to.

Around here, we'd really like the many local folks who work at the port to be able to return to work; the restaurants, hotels, and other businesses around the port to operate in the black and stay in business; to be assured that power plants are gonna be able to return to full operations and continue to operate at normal capacity; that damaged structures can be repaired; and, OF COURSE, that cruise ships can resume normal schedules... that our economy will stop losing the million dollars a day that the port brings in.

I think - again, just MHO - that alternate departure and arrival ports may be a distinct possibility for a matter of weeks, not days.

And then, there's Ivan... :(

For now, unless I hear otherwise, I am assuming my cruise on the 24th will not use Port Canaveral for departure or arrival. That's just my take on it.

colette5479 - I'm terribly sorry! I wasn't trying to sound flippant, rather trying to be 'cute' - Sorry that didn't work!

I totally wasn't flaming you :eek: and was serious that there are no dumb questions :o

I did not take your comment bad at all!! Please don't worry! I was just thanking you for your comment and I guess being scarcastic about how some jump on someone for posting a question!

Thanks for answering my question!!:D

Just got word from Priceline that the Holiday Inn in Cocoa Cay is closed due to the hurricane. We are booked on the Sovereign on Sept 27th. Just wondering if we should stay overnight in Orlando and see where the Sovereign will depart from...the channel should be cleared by then don't ya think?...anybody have any other ideas where to stay either in Cocoa Cay or Orlando on the 26th?...thanks in advance

Just got word from Priceline that the Holiday Inn in Cocoa Cay is closed due to the hurricane. We are booked on the Sovereign on Sept 27th. Just wondering if we should stay overnight in Orlando and see where the Sovereign will depart from...the channel should be cleared by then don't ya think?...anybody have any other ideas where to stay either in Cocoa Cay or Orlando on the 26th?...thanks in advance

I read that the Radisson is open. We are booked to stay at Comfort Inn and Suites 10/17 before our SOS cruise. They offer free shuttle to the pier but I have not heard if they were damaged or not. Your best bet might be to go on travelocity or similar sites and check that way or call the hotels direct.

Good Luck!:)

The Comfort Inn is open. I called last night and booked as we were booked at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront. They are open, have power but not all of their rooms are usable. I was able to get a reservation for this Saturday. RCI hasn't announced where we'll leave from yet but I wanted to be covered just in case. They have 24 hour cancellation so we'll have to decide by tomorrow night. I would definitely call the hotels direct, I found several online sites still selling Holiday Inn and Doubletree for this week and they are not even open.

RCI just announced that the 9/12 Mariner sailing will be sailing from AND returning to Miami. I didn't notice about any onboard credit or anything, but they of course will provide free transportation from MCO or PC.

Best of Luck to you all!

RCI just announced that the 9/12 Mariner sailing will be sailing from AND returning to Miami. I didn't notice about any onboard credit or anything, but they of course will provide free transportation from MCO or PC.

Best of Luck to you all!

I just got a call from RCI confirming the same. The lady said that the buses would run from the Orlando Airport and Port Canaveral from 9:30-12:30, last bus at 12:30.

Tropical Weather Update

September 9, 2004 - 3 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International is closely monitoring the path and progress of Hurricane Ivan to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The company also continues to monitor its operations resulting from Hurricane Frances.

The safety and comfort of our guests are always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

Due to damage caused by Hurricane Frances, Royal Caribbean is currently unable to bring its ships to Port Canaveral, Florida; Freeport, Bahamas; and Coco Cay, Bahamas, Royal Caribbean's private island.

Given Hurricane Ivan's location and projected path, we are currently altering the itineraries of several Royal Caribbean International ships.

We will update this information three times daily - at 10 a.m., 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Ships sailing from Port Canaveral

REVISED: Sovereign of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Port Canaveral Friday, September 10, on a three-night sailing, will now make that sailing from Port Everglades. The ship will delay its departure from Port Everglades until 8 p.m., local time, Friday. The ship will sail a modified itinerary, visiting Nassau, Bahamas, from 8 a.m. to midnight on Saturday. The ship will spend the day at sea on Sunday and return to Port Everglades on Monday morning, September 13. Royal Caribbean will transport guests from Port Canaveral and the Orlando airport to Port Everglades for this sailing. The company also will return guests to those locations at the conclusion of this sailing.

REVISED: Mariner of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Port Canaveral Sunday, September 12, on a seven-night sailing, will now make that sailing from the Port of Miami. The ship will delay its departure from the Port of Miami until 5 p.m., local time, Sunday. The ship will sail its normal itinerary and return to the Port of Miami on Sunday morning, September 19. Royal Caribbean will transport guests from Port Canaveral and the Orlando airport to the Port of Miami for this sailing. Guests are requested to arrive at Port Canaveral or the Orlando airport no later than 12:30 p.m. on Sunday. The company also will return guests to those locations at the conclusion of this sailing. Due to Hurricane Ivan, port calls are subject to change.

Ships sailing from the Port of San Juan

Adventure of the Seas will not spend today at sea. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Castries, St. Lucia.

Ships sailing from Port Everglades

REVISED: Enchantment of the Seas will not make its port call in Key West, Florida, on Friday, and will not make its port call in Cozumel, Mexico, on Saturday. Instead, the ship will spend the day at sea on Friday and will make a port call in Labadee, Hispanola, on Saturday.

Ships sailing from the Port of Baltimore

Grandeur of the Seas will not make its port call in Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas, on Saturday. Instead, the ship will spend the day at sea.

Ships sailing from the Port of Miami

REVISED: Explorer of the Seas will not make its port call in Georgetown, Cayman Islands, on Friday. Instead, it will spend the day at sea on Friday.

REVISED: Majesty of the Seas (September 10 sailing) will not make its port call in Coco Cay, Bahamas, on Saturday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Nassau, Bahamas, on Saturday. The ship will spend the day at sea on Sunday.

At this time, no other Royal Caribbean International ships are being impacted by tropical weather. We will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and update this information at 7 p.m. today.

I live in Lakeland, Florida and have access to a condo on Cocoa Beach. I was just told by my relative that she had heard that Port Canaveral may be closed for a year because all of the damage. Said that when they flew over the channel it looked like a big sandbar. Has anyone else heard this news anywhere? I cruise in November.

Please advise.

Mick

This may be a stupid question but what will happen if the Miami airport or port are closed because of Ivan. The people getting off the Mariner will be dropped off in the middle of an evacuation and those who are supposed to be leaving on the 12th won't be able to get there. Where else can they go to dock with Port Canaveral closed and Ft. Lauderdale also in the path?

If anyone is interested....

I am on the 9/12/04 sailing of the Mariner of the Seas. I have decided to drive to Miami on Saturday night and spend the night there and board directly in Miami.

I was able to find a great rate on a hotel right near the port. I hope it is not a violation to share this with everyone!

http://www.avalonparktravel.com and from there under hotels I clicked on Hotwire hotels. The hotel listed for $58.00 in Downtown Miami is the Doubletree Grand Hotel.

What a beautiful property! It looks great.

I'll see you on the Mariner on the 12th! I wonder where we are going? A rep at RCCL told me we may be doing an Eastern Itinerary.

Robert

We are sailing on Mariner the 19th.. we are keeping hotel res in Cocoa Beach for now but have a back up at Comfort Suites in Ft Lauderdale right on I-95.. If we are leaving from and returning to Miami we will just drive from North Carolina to Lauderdale and forego the bussing... we got rate of $65 and can cancel till 6:00 on 18th... Would rather drive further, board ship early and get a jump on the long drive home.. Parking at port of Miami will be interesting with the extra ships in port!!!

Please remember, there isn't enough parking for all of the normal Miami Cruise ships not to mention adding others. That is why they are busing people from Port Canaveral. You may be refused parking at the port of Miami for a ship that isn't normally ported there.

If Port Canaveral opens they will go back there.

Verify with RCL and the Port Authority for the RCL Terminal if you will be allowed to park there. Would really hate to drive down and have no where to leave the car.

Good luck, also remember the gas situation in Central / South Florida isn't back up to full speed yet due to destruction and supply.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and SAFE trip.

RCCL has advised me that even if Port Canaveral reopens they will be returning to the Port of Miami. (It actually states that on the website too).

They will then reposition the cruise back to Port Canaveral if need be.

I am renting a car to drive down, so I am not going to worry about the parking situation! :-) I have a car on hold for the way back as well.

Robert

Please remember, there isn't enough parking for all of the normal Miami Cruise ships not to mention adding others. That is why they are busing people from Port Canaveral. You may be refused parking at the port of Miami for a ship that isn't normally ported there.

I am currently on Mariner. We drove to Miami. When we parked, the parking garage was not even half full - and we were the last ship to leave.

Next week there will be more people, but I would be surprised if they run out of room. I can assure you though that they are not going to deny access to the port because the ship does not normally dock there. In fact, in Miami they no longer check tickets/ID to park. They now separate cruise and cargo before the security gates.

As for busing people, they are doing this because many people already have trvel plans. Rather than try to change many flights, they are bussing. For people who drive, you get the same convenience of driving to Port Canaveral while getting them to drive you and pay for the gas to get to Miami.

Jrm9999,

If you get a chance - ask them where they think we will be sailing to next week? I have gotten so many conflicting reports.

One rep at RCCL says we will only go to Labadee and Cozumel and that the other two stops will be days at sea. Another rep told me that we will likely do an Eastern itinerary. The last one I spoke to said that "they know where they are going, but can not announce that until Sunday because ports are subject to change".

It's very confusing! The reason I ask - my friend who is traveling with me works for a local television station here in Orlando, Florida. They cancelled his vacation for next week because of the impending Hurricane. (They require everyone to be there for events like this.) They told him to pack, etc as normal, and on Sunday he has to call them. If the storm still looks like it will affect us here in Orlando (like the previous two), he will have to stay for the storm. If the storm looks like it will go out to sea and not be an affect, he can go. But, if he does have to stay for the storm, they will fly him to meet the ship at whatever port of call it is at on Wednesday (after the storm passes on Tuesday - the currently projection). I called RCCL and they advised me that they WOULD allow him to board in any port.

My problem is - are we going to be going to ports of call? That's the huge question right now. It's my major concern and I'm trying to be sure that there will be someplace on Wednesday (or in the worst case senario Thursday) that he can join us.

Thanks!

Rob

Everyone just be careful. RCI does not have to go back to the Port of Miami after the sailing if Port Canaveral is fixed. They have said they would provide transportation. It will be you that has to find a way back to Miami if they can go back to canaveral. Also no matter which Port you drive to; make sure you leave your car FULL of gas. Florida hasn't been able to overcome the shortage yet and if they have another evacuation it will only get worse.

RCI, CCL, and Disney have stated throughout this do not drive to the new ports. You take a chance if you do.

Please stay safe and have a great trip.

there will be enough parking at maimi,if you remember that up until recently there were two voyager class ships docked in maimi on sunday,so this is no big deal i've always driven to maimi and have been there when the two ships were there and it's no big deal they are use to it,so doint worry..

about them not sailing back to maimi if port canaveral is open,that's not going to happen ,people are making plans to go out of maimi now ,they are changing flights and (like me) making plans to drive to maimi,they will not change the port!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. they are leaveing out at 8.00pm on sunday,that probibly will not change,but what will change is the itinerary,most likely eastern caribbean...

they will not change the port!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know they won't change the port for the 9/12 cruisers to return to Miami on 9/19, but I am REALLY hoping that they decide to then bring the ship back to PC to get us 9/19 cruisers, instead of making all of us go to Miami. I'd rather sail very late than take a 4 hour bus ride and sail late anyway.

Never say never, there is a hurricane coming.

RCI does reserve the right to change ports, they have and can do that regardless of you changing plans. Especially if the Hurricane effects parts of Florida.

RCI Board Reports:

Mariner of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Port Canaveral Sunday, September 12, on a seven-night sailing, will now make that sailing from the Port of Miami. The ship will depart from the Port of Miami at 5 p.m., local time, Sunday. The ship will sail its normal itinerary and return to the Port of Miami on Sunday morning, September 19. Royal Caribbean will transport guests from Port Canaveral and the Orlando airport to the Port of Miami for this sailing. Guests are requested to arrive at Port Canaveral or the Orlando airport no later than 12:30 p.m. on Sunday. The company also will return guests to those locations at the conclusion of this sailing. Due to Hurricane Ivan, port calls are subject to change.

Port Canaveral Reports:

MIAMI, Sep 9, 2004 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. expects Hurricane Ivan to cause minimal disruption to its ship operations. The company currently anticipates its ships to arrive and depart as scheduled this weekend. Hurricane Ivan will likely cause only minor modifications involving ports of call.

Based on damage to Port Canaveral caused by Hurricane Frances, Royal Caribbean International is modifying the departure port of Mariner of the Seas. The ship will now sail its Sunday, September 12, seven-night cruise from the Port of Miami. Port Canaveral, the ship's original embarkation port, sustained damage to its harbor entrance and is currently closed to cruise-ship traffic.

Mariner of the Seas will depart from the Port of Miami at 5 p.m., local time, Sunday. The ship will sail its normal itinerary and will return to the Port of Miami on Sunday morning, September 19. Due to Hurricane Ivan, ports of call are subject to change.

Royal Caribbean International will transport guests from Port Canaveral and the Orlando International Airport to the Port of Miami for this sailing. The company also will return guests to those locations at the conclusion of this sailing.

Note 2 things

(1) THE IS LEAVING AT 5PM NOT 8PM AS POSTED ABOVE

(2) FYI - BOTH DISNEY SHIPS ARE SAILING FROM PORT CANAVERAL THIS WEEKEND.

Hurricane Ivan is supposed to hit the Keys and Florida Sunday late or Monday. Just be prepared for anything. Maybe they won't need to change, but out of necesssity they may have too. If it can mess up Port Canveral can a stronger storm not mess up Biscayne bay.

Just go with the flow, and remember just because they said they WILL go back to Miami, a lot of the ships weren't expecting to change ports last week either.

Archived