Getting from Ship to hotel in Venice

I have heard some conflicting advice about getting from the ship in Venice. Some have said to take a water taxi, although expensive, to your hotel. This seems reasonable if we have lots of luggage.

Does the ship dock on the Giudecca Island? Is there a vaporetto line nearby? are their water taxis nearby? Are there also other types of water transportation to San Marcos from where the ships dock?

Others have said that a shuttle/bus may be available to take you to Piazza Roma. If we are staying at a hotel in Venice, don't we then have to travel to the hotel by vaporetto or water taxi?

Thanks

Kay

We disembarked in Venice on Nov 18, from the Millennium.

Yes, there are free shuttle buses, well, at least to to the Piazzale Roma, all of a 5 minute ride. There may be free shuttles to other places, but I do not know where. The cruise pier is about as far as you can get from St. Marks, IMO. I do not know of any way to get to St. Marks from the cruise pier other than by water taxi or vaporetto. Perhaps someone else has more knowledge.

There is also a water taxi stand, with prominent signs, near the cruise terminal.

There is a vaporetto station at the Piazzale Roma, too.

Our hotel was very close to the Piazzale Roma (only 2 bridges to cross) and the shuttle bus was a Greyhound-style bus, so it had large luggage bays.

If you have a lot of luggage, a water taxi is probably the best way to go, if your hotel is near St. Marks Plaza. Dragging a couple of suitcases could be a challenge on the vaporetto, although we did see people doing it.

We bought a 72-hour ticket for the vaporettos and it was a great deal, as we used them a lot during our 3-day post-cruise stay in Venice. Twice we took the "long way" to our hotel from St. Marks on a vaporetto, meaning we took the outside canal that the cruise ships use to get to the pier, around the cruise terminal, past the Piazzale Roma to the Ferrovia stop. Our hotel was directly across from the Ferrovia (railway station).

Hope this helps! I'm sure you will get other opinions, too!

Most of the cruise ships dock at Marritima, which is right near Piazzle Roma.

If you really want to slurge- take a water taxi from the airport and motor into St. Mark's square. But IMO the easiest thing to do is collect your bags and hop onto the bus that goes to Piazzle Roma. They run every 20 minutes and are conveniently located outside of baggage. It is 3 Euros per person and the driver handles your bags and WILL not and CANNOT except tips. The bus get you to Venice in 30 minutes and it is a nice ride.

I suggest staying in the one of the following hotels in Piazzle Roma- The Santa Chiara, the Sofitel (my fav) or Cadoge. All of these hotels are way cheaper than St. Marks and who wants to haul luggage that far?

Once you check in, wander around the relatively quiet streets and follow the signs to San Marco. I love this area. I don't care what people tell you- I liked being far from St. Mark's. It is a daytripper tourist Mecca. Not that I am suggesting you don't go there- just that you will probably enjoy going back to the much quieter Santa Croce area. Also, the cruise ship is in walking distance from Piazzle Roma (but take the free shuttle).

I don't care what people tell you- I liked being far from St. Mark's

Everybody on this board cares what people tell us -- that is why this board is so valuable. ;) I care about hearing your opinion about being in a quiet area not right next to St. Marks.

OTOH our experience was the opposite. We stayed at the Violino D'oro, a little gem of a hotel just a block from St. Marks, right next to the gondola stand, across the canal from the beautiful church of S. Moise, and incidentally around the corner from Gucci and Versace! It was about half the price of the tourist hotel Bauer across the canal from it. We loved being able to walk to St. Mark's, especially in the evening, and the choice of food and entertainment very nearby.

The ship did offer a shuttle to the hotels in the St. Mark's area. Your bags traveled in a different shuttle and were delivered to your hotel. It was rather expensive. But dragging bags around Venice is definitely NOT something I wanted to try. Not only are the streets crowded, narrow and rough, there are frequent bridges to climb wherever you go. For that reason we did not consider the vaporetto, and a water taxi was not really more attractive. It is a very short walk from the cruise terminal to the water taxis, however.

The choice we made was to book a private transfer from IC Bellagio through our Travel Agent. We were met right at the terminal, and took a private taxi tour of the Grand Canal en route to our hotels. We dropped the bags at the hotel, and then the water taxi took us on a tour of the "undiscovered" canals of Venice, including the Armory where the great galleys were built. After that we had a 2 hour walking tour of the back ways of Venice with a great guide, winding up at our hotel. We really enjoyed it. It was fairly expensive, but a great tour and a great luxury not having to manage our baggage!

Check out our report and pictures at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland3.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks all, this was just the kind of info I wanted.

I am sorry I was not clear -- we are ending our trip in Venice and I am thinking about getting from the ship to our hotel (and then from hotel to airport) so all of your advice is useful! At this point we are planning to stay in a hotel in the Dorsodoro area. We might consider a place in the San Marcos area, but I love being off the beaten track in the Dorsodoro. We have been to Venice before and know about shlepping bags up and down over little bridges and even on the vaporetto to that Piazalle Roma on the way out. Which is why I am considering a water taxi from the ship (although you still may have to do some shlepping). I knew I had read that someone's ship had a water shuttle to the St. Marks area which might be a good option if we stay near there. Good to know there are stops near the ships.

We too loved riding the vaporetto as a way of seeing things. Took one line that went all the way around the island. Such fun. Just going up and down the Grand Canal is an experience.

Kay

Sorry about the mixup. Should have read your post more carefully. If you are staying in St. Mark's I think you will be happiest with taking the vaporetto (shuttle) from the ship to St. Mark's. Also, I didn't realize there was a shuttle to Piazzle Roma from the ship and I stupidly got a taxi- to the tune of 20 Euros for a five minute ride. He said he was charging me more because it was Sunday and I had four bags- the nerve!:eek:

To get from our hotel, near St. Mark's, to the airport, three people with LOTS of bags, this is what the concierge at our hotel arranged:

Private Water Taxi hotel to P. Roma E90 with tip. (Could have taken water taxi to airport for E130 + tip, but we were told that it is quite a walk from the water taxi dock at the airport and didn't want to drag bags.)

Porter -- to carry 12 bags across the P. Roma to a taxi -- E25!!! HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

Taxi from P Roma to Airport, drop off curbside, E50 with tip.

Porter to checkin with all those bags, seemed very happy with E10 tip.

It cost a small fortune, like everything in Venice does, but for three senior citizens, one mobility limited, with all our baggage it was the way to work it for us. Now active young folks who can drag their bags can undoubtedly do it for a lot less.

The first time I went to Venice we arrived by train and I couldn't figure out the vaporettos and had luggage- so we opted for a water taxi to our hotel in St. Mark's. It was a lovely water taxi ride. The sun was setting and this was a really nice experience. We fell in love with Venice.

But now I am a bit more practical. I stay in Piazzle Roma and take the bus from the airport (3 Euros). Then I walk to St. Marks and sometimes take the vaporetto back (6 Euros though- not cheap) and other times I walk. I really wouldn't stay in St. Mark's again but I don't blame first timers or those that think they'll never get back there again. That's what I thought the first time. I've been back five times since 2003.

Bill S,

Would you mind sharing your post cruise experience in Venice? We will be doing the same next October following 12 day on the Grand Princess. Hotel and tours advice would be great!

I'm not Bill, but I hope you have checked out our page at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland3.html

for our post cruise in Venice.

I want to repeat the advice I gave on that page: For a wonderful and fun overview of Venitian history it is really worth while to do

http://www.venice-carnival-show.com/

on your first night in Venice.

Have a GREAT cruise!

When we arrived in Venice by train we too took a water taxi to the spot nearest our hotel, which was down the street from the Academmia Bridge. My friend arrived several days later and as a surprise we took the bus to the airport (vaporetto to Piazalle Roma) (a pretty miserable trip and very confusing trying to figure out which bus, glad we did not have luggage) and then took a water taxi back from the airport.

I don't remember how much any of this cost, the experience of tooling down the Grand Canal when we arrived and then racing across the lagoon in the sunshine was worth whatever it cost. The taxis themselves are such a kick! When we took the taxi from the airport it was just outside the door on the water side of the airport, not a big walk.

As I mentioned, we probably will not stay in St. Marks area (although we might), but in the Dorsodoro. I like being close to the sights and able to just drop into any local cafe or store and wander the bridges and streets. We stayed in two places in the Dorsodoro - across from the Academmia (not on a canal) and the Hotel American in a room overlooking a small canal. Both were great for different prices!

Kay

When we arrived in Venice by train we too took a water taxi to the spot nearest our hotel, which was down the street from the Academmia Bridge. My friend arrived several days later and as a surprise we took the bus to the airport (vaporetto to Piazalle Roma) (a pretty miserable trip and very confusing trying to figure out which bus, glad we did not have luggage) and then took a water taxi back from the airport.

I don't remember how much any of this cost, the experience of tooling down the Grand Canal when we arrived and then racing across the lagoon in the sunshine was worth whatever it cost. The taxis themselves are such a kick! When we took the taxi from the airport it was just outside the door on the water side of the airport, not a big walk.

As I mentioned, we probably will not stay in St. Marks area (although we might), but in the Dorsodoro. I like being close to the sights and able to just drop into any local cafe or store and wander the bridges and streets. We stayed in two places in the Dorsodoro - across from the Academmia (not on a canal) and the Hotel American in a room overlooking a small canal. Both were great for different prices!

Kay

Kay

MerlotChampagne: Glad to comment for you!

We were traveling with another couple and we stayed at a wonderful, little hotel on the Grand Canal: the Antiche Figure. We found it on TripAdvisor.com. The reviews are consistently excellent. We had room 112 which faced the Grand Canal. They have a very nice continental breakfast for 5 Euro per person-a great deal for Venice! It is not near St Marks, but we didn't mind at all. We booked it through Expedia and got a very good rate. We would definitely stay there again.

We did not book any tours or guides during our 3-day post-cruise stay. Instead, I had printed suggestions from Rick Steves' website for Venice and used that as our "guide". Althouugh we purchased the 72-hour vaporetto tickets and used them a lot, we still managed to stroll the myraid of back streets in Venice to find our way to St. Marks, the Rialto Bridge, etc. It was delightful and we never got lost for more than a few minutes, as there are plentiful signs painted on walls of buildings with arrows pointing the way to the major attractions.

On the first day, a Sunday, after checking in to our hotel (our rooms were not ready yet), we strolled around the area near our hotel and lunched at a little pizza ristorante and walked around for a couple of hours and went back to the hotel to get to our rooms, had some tea and coffee in their bar area and then took the vaporetto to St Marks. By this time it was late afternoon and we just walked under the porticos surrounding the plaza, window-shopping and watching the transformation of the plaza to it's evening lighting. We then found a recommended restaurant behind the catherdral for dinner. After dinner, we strolled around the Doges Palace, saw the Bridge of Sighs. While there, a Costa ship was deprting Venice and it was a grand sight seeing it all lit up going by Doge's Palace in the darkness. We took the vaporetto back to our hotel.

One of our travelmates came down with a major head cold & sore throat, on the second day, so we scrubbed our plans to visit Burano. We also did not go to Murano either, as we saw tons of shops selling Murano glass items-they are not cheap! We walked to the Rialto Bridge and then over to St Marks again, finding charming shops and great bakeries along the way. We toured St Mark's Cathedral (no charge to enter, but there are fees to climb the second floor and to the Treasury) and then took the elevator to the top of the Campanile. There are several huge bells up there which are rung periodically. We happened to go up at about 11:40am. About 11:55 we realized the bells were likely to be rung at noon, so we got on the elevator at 11:59 and sure enough, on the way down, they started aringin' so loud we could hear them in the elevator! We took the vaporetto which took the long way back to our hotel on the waterway that separates Venice from a large island and the mainland. We passed by the cruise pier, the Piazzale Roma and back into the Grand Canal.

The next day we mainly did shopping and strolling, mainly in an area across the Grand Canal from our hotel. We passed an open-air market with produce and fish. Venice is so interesting just to walk around or take the vaporettos to enjoy the views. You can get off at any station and not worry about getting lost. We were pleasantly surprised. Our hotel gave us maps, too and they were helpful. We are definitely a low-key bunch!

I imagine, if we go back again, we might consider hiring a guide or taking an organized tour, now that we know what interests us. We would also want to visit Burano. I think October would be just about the right time of year to visit Venice. We were there from Nov 18-21, and it was just downright cold! We had expected temperatures in the low 50s but it was in the 40s.

Hope this helps a bit.

MercedMike- We took a private water taxi directly from our hotel to the airport. We were only two people but still had lots of bags. This cost us 100 Euro. Then we paid an extra 10 Euro to take a little shuttle directly to the terminal door. They handled the luggage all the way.

We also had limited mobility so we wanted to have to lug our bags as little as possible. The ride through the lagoon to the airport was great. It was foggy that day and with the other taxis in line behind us, I felt a little like I was in a James Bond movie chase scene.

We loved Venice. Can't wait to go back.

We disembarked in Venice on Nov 18, from the Millennium.

Yes, there are free shuttle buses, well, at least to to the Piazzale Roma, all of a 5 minute ride. There may be free shuttles to other places, but I do not know where.

There is a vaporetto station at the Piazzale Roma, too.

Our hotel was very close to the Piazzale Roma (only 2 bridges to cross) and the shuttle bus was a Greyhound-style bus, so it had large luggage bays.

Hope this helps! I'm sure you will get other opinions, too!

We got off the Star Princess on Nov 8 and did the same thing. Going over the 2 small bridges with all our luggage was not easy. We stayed at the Hotel Carlton and Grand Canal which was great. The bridge from there to the vaporetto stop across the canal requires going over a very tall (30+ steps up and then down) bridge. We had to conquer that mountain when we went to the San Lucia train station the next day fro our trip to Florence.

If you are staying close to St Marks you may just want to take the water taxi from the port.

We got off an RCCI cruise in November and there was not a land taxi in sight and it was over two hours before the shuttle the Pizzala Roma was supposed to start, so we walked. It really was not far and thankfully 1) we had packed lightly and 2) DD is now 12YO and can handle her own luggage! So if any of you are plaaning to get off the ship early -- be aware that transportation might not be as available as at other times.

We had done our time in Venice pre-cruise -- and had a hotel on the mainland for that evening. We checked our bags for 4E each at Pizzala Roma (there is a smallish sign for baggage check -- the place is in the large white transportation building that is on the side of the sqare opposite the canal area. From P.Roma, it is easy to get a land taxi to mainland hotels and/or the Airport. Bus #5 goes from P.Roma to the Airport -- it has lots of space for luggage and is very inexpensive.

There are several hotels near the square or "only" one or two bridges away. If you are using Pizzala Roma and your "means of entry" to the city -- be certain to get really good directions from your hotel because the only thing worse than schlepping your bags through Venice; is being lost while schlepping your bags through Venice!

Archived