Cunard's other December Anniversaries

stowaway2k

Interesting history. I didn't know they both ended service in December.

Was watching The Hindenburg this morning and one of the passengers was in a race with someone on the Queen Mary towards NYC. The ship makes a very brief and not-so-up-close appearance in the film.

The most important anniversary - December 2, 2006! My first voyage on Cunard - the QM2!:D Those were the good old days. Tonight I have to attend the office Christmas party. :(

David

A bit of thread drift here but I spent the last hour wading through a large box of old photographs in preparation for an antiques show tomorrow and I came across a snap shot photo of the Aquitania . It is from a distance but a broad side so you get the full look at all four funnells. There is single stack ship right behind her in the quay.

Every time I open another box that I have had in the barn for years is like a new yard sale find. There are several other ship potos in the packet that the Aquatania come out of. Looks like a Swedish ship making her way through the Cape Cod Canal. She has a single funnell with a stripe then a white stipe and then a repeat of the top stripe midway down the stack. As the photos are black and white no color is available and there is no name on the bow.

I also found a nice collection of negatives and photos of Lindberg and the Sprit of 76 from when he made the barn storming tour after Paris. These we shot at the nashua, NH airport.

Thirty-Nine years ago, 8 December 1968, RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH arrived in Fort Lauderdale, Florida for an ill-fated beginning-of-her-end:

http://www.maritimematters.com/elizabeth-ghareeb.html

Forty years ago, 9 December 1967, RMS QUEEN MARY arrived in Long Beach, California, her home still today.

Thanks again, Kyle, as always.

It just astonishes me to know that I lived so close to her, indeed,even to the point of dating a boy in Palm Beach Gardens. I used to go down and stay a week with his family. This was well within this time frame. I just cannot believe that I never knew, don't remember hearing about, never went to visit.

There was so much that I never knew about, so much I missed when I was a teenager. If only... If only.

Opportunities missed, that I didn't even know I'd missed. I was all over Florida in 70-72, my High School Years. I bivouacked with CAP all over the place. How astonishing that I did not know of her and make the effort to go. How sad.

Karie

I live very close to southampton, but it was long beach that we met up with the queen mary and we stayed on the ship twice.

a wonderful ship and its wonderful the the qm2 has so many rooms and so much decor that reminds you of the queen mary.

rob

• 3 weeks later...

Archived