Our first cruise???

alexj716

Hello All,

First I have to say I had no idea there were so many gay cruisers, I think this site is great!

We are a gay couple from the Los Angeles area and we are thinking of taking our first cruise Aug. 3th 2008 to the Mexican Riviera. Just visting this site answered my first question, how gay friendly are "regular" cruises. From what everyone has said they seem to be pretty friendly.

My question is...which would be a better ship for us RoyalCaribbean Vision of the Seas vs. Carnival Pride?

Also any thoughts or cruise tips would be great too.

Thanks everyone!

Alex

Hi neighbors!

Not to burst your bubble, but August, in our opinion, would not be the best time to go to Mexico....HOT, HOT, HOT! Jan, Feb, or March would be a much better choice, and it will be past hurricane season. Also, we would we choose a Holland America or Princess ship over Vision or Pride bkz they are rated higher and are really good all round. But of course the choice is yours. Hope we haven't totally confused you.

J & K

Hey there J & K,

Thanks for the info. It did cross my mind that it would be hot that time of year, but we have our own business and the end of July and beginning of August is the only time we can get away. We run into this problem every year.

Best,

Alex

We sailed on the Pride for New Years, two years ago and it was fine for what it was.

We had one of the aft wraparound balcony suites and the room attendant didn't even bat an eye when we asked for the beds to be put together, nor have they on any other cruise we've taken.

We were traveling with a str8 couple, so the four of us were seated together at a table of four for dinner each evening. Our previous cruise, we had the maitre'd seat us at a table of two. On our last cruise (Celebrity Infinity to Alaska) we allowed them to seat us where ever they wanted. We were sat at a table of six, one couple from Miami who never returned and a couple that only spoke Hebrew who only lasted for two days....

If you don't mind a boat load (pardon the pun) of kids..sail with Carnival or Royal Carribean. We like Celebrity because there are fewer children and drunken rednecks....OK...so it wasn't bad....

In my opinion, Carnival is like the K-Mart of cruiselines. Cheap and they push a ton of people through their doors...very family (str8) oriented. So is RCCL. We have found that Celebrity has a slightly older crowd (35 - 65) who enjoy martini's and jazz, instead of reggae bands poolside with hairy chest contests and slushi drink specials.

We enjoyed Carnival for our first two cruises for the most part. Once we discovered we enjoyed crusing, we chose to broaden our tastes a little and see what else was out there.

We have heard good things from travel companions met on our cruises about Princess, Holland America and Celebrity for their "gay friendliness".

Peter

I agree with Jerry and Kirk, January, February, March, April and even into early May would be the time to go. One doesn't know the meaning of hot unless you have been to Cabo in August, dehydrated from all the Margaritas!

As for cruise lines, Princess in my opinion is tops when it comes to accommodating the "Family" types. Less kids than Royal Carib or Carnival. Also, the Golden Princess sails out of LA. Nice ship overall.

I would suggest avoiding any government holidays as it does bump up the kid ratio.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived