Snuba advice for 1st cruise

gcphil

My husband and I are cruising for the first time in April on RCI Grandeur of the Seas. Our ports include St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Tortola, and Bermuda. I did snorkeling and snuba for the first time this year in Maui and fell in love. Husband has not done either. He is dying to try Scuba but I suggested we try snuba. So I need advice as to what port would be the best for snuba and who would you recommend? Is it possible to fit in snuba and still have time to see the highlights of that port?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd give scuba a try. It's really not difficult and if you liked snuba, I'm pretty sure you'd really like scuba as well. Coki Beach on St. Thomas is a good place to do a Discover Scuba dive. http://www.cokidive.com has more information.

If you have your heart set on snuba, http://www.snuba.com is the place to start.

Well my husband has decided we should get certified for scuba here before our cruise. :eek: His thoughts are then we would have more time for diving and less time in a class. He has been on a dive before so he knows he likes it. I am just a little nervous thinking about it. Not sure if I want to do it or not. It took me almost 10 minutes to go under when I tried snuba. I kept saying I could not breathe. At least with snuba I could pull myself back up to the surface with the line.

Well my husband has decided we should get certified for scuba here before our cruise.

Best idea yet! Don't get caught up buying everything they try to sell you. Other than mast, snorkle, fins and booties I would wait and see how much you are going to dive and if you decide to make it a hobby then check out used gear on craigslist and such. To me the mask it the #1 thing to pay attention to.

Best idea yet! Don't get caught up buying everything they try to sell you. Other than mast, snorkle, fins and booties I would wait and see how much you are going to dive and if you decide to make it a hobby then check out used gear on craigslist and such.
I disagree with this when looking to buy life support equipment. I'd only buy a regulator from a dive shop, even if it was one of their rental regs, it will have been serviced properly. I really like http://www.scubatoys.com

To me the mask it the #1 thing to pay attention to.

Now I totally agree with this.

Archived